New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Toughest shoot to date

dawnkyung
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Toughest shoot to date

I was lucky enough to have a mom contact me from out of state to do a session. I was very flattered, but also very nervous - her kiddos are 7 and 5...and 3 year old twins! I have a 2 year old who is almost 3 and I know what a disaster trying to shoot him can be. I really really wanted to do a great job and felt so anxious about it.

Her kids ended up being great - but they are kids, so it was definitely a decent amount of work! I felt so relieved that she loved her photos and wanted to share them with you all.

Thank you for looking and for any C&C you've got - I'm always trying to improve!

Aug 29, 2021 at 04:09 PM
sifpandor
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Toughest shoot to date

Excellent work as always Dawn. I have a question for you. I am wondering if there's a reason why you leave so much space at the top of the images but not at the bottom. Thanks.

--Mark

Aug 29, 2021 at 04:41 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Toughest shoot to date

Just mesmerizing photography Dawn!!!!
You never cease to amaze me with the high quality of your work!
Everything is so crisp and clean!
#3 is so outstanding!!!!!!
Dan

Aug 30, 2021 at 08:12 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Toughest shoot to date

I really don't know how well you market yourself, what your presence is on social media, but you've created a really consistent and unique look that is all your own, and people should be contacting you daily to set up shoots and paying some serious dough for it.

As usual, these are awesome, but I actually have some suggestions for you this time.

In No. 2, the boy is leaning over from his waist to hug his sister. It looks awkward. The problem is the dress. I think he's trying not to squish it or whatever. I deal with this often when I do sibling pics and one is wearing a tutu. When this happens, you have to break from the standard and actually work the girl with the dress so she fits into the boy. In this case, the boy was trying to fit into the girl and the dress was simply in the way.

On No. 7, the main light is behind the mother and so her back is lit up pretty good, but not so much her front, which is where her daughter is. The daughter is still nicely lit, but the lighting give the mother broad lighting on her face, and I think it would have worked nicely to have the shadows on on that side of her face and on her back. I do like that her hair is lit the way it is.

My last suggestion is on the group shot on 6. I don't shoot families, largely speaking (I do a few a year), because I don't like posing families that aren't very pose-able. No matter what I do, it looks awkward, and I feel like it's a shortcoming of mine not to be able to figure out how to make it work.

I think what throws it off for me in this shot is the boy with his feet. I just think it might have looked more natural if he stood where he is sitting. Granted, he's much shorter, but I think it would have brought them all closer together. But like I said, I'm not great at that part, just seeing what I see. And I know how difficult it is to work with some kids like.

So overall, same amazing stuff as always.

Aug 30, 2021 at 11:20 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Toughest shoot to date

Posing children is a bit harder, especially since they're either perfect and know how to hold still, or have trouble understanding the very specific instructions you might give them (and their attention or lack-of-attention span also).

Although in 2 he could stand closer, I feel it's fine the way it is because it shows their lack of experience. In 3, could the dress be fluffed out a bit more on the left?

9. Would've liked to see the mother's jawline where the very bottom is partially hidden by the girl in front. Maybe have the girl in front of the mom hold onto her mother's hand (or clasp one or two fingers).

11. The girl in the middle has her hand up. It's a bit distracting unless we could see that hand holding the hand of the top-most girl. Might soften the shadow on the picture-left side of top girl from nose-to-jawline. It worked in #9 with the boy holding mom's fingers.

Very little else to nitpick over, especially when considering that they're kids and that any additional kicker or snooted light would have to be done within seconds of seeing anything you're not crazy about. That and in the time you ask one person to do something, everyone else moves.

Overall extremely solid. Can see this set winning thread-of-the-week for this week.

Aug 31, 2021 at 12:04 AM
jyl11002

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Toughest shoot to date

how do you get them all to not smile? i'm amazed that all the kids could do such a serious face shoot and all their eyes pop. Beautiful pictures, my favorite though is no. 1

Aug 31, 2021 at 12:25 PM
Denverdutchman
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Toughest shoot to date

Beautiful images, all of them! Numbers 1, 7, 8 and 10 are my favs! I looked through your Insta and you've definitely created a beautiful body of work! Beautiful editing style that transforms the raw images into timeless works of art - somewhere between a painting and a photo.

Aug 31, 2021 at 01:32 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Toughest shoot to date

Dawn, to say that those images are good is an understatement! They are marvelous and the entire set is a work of art! I know how difficult it is to take good images of young kids but you did shine there. YEMV here!

Joshua

Aug 31, 2021 at 04:09 PM
steveatvtk

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Toughest shoot to date

Superb work and inspirational. Absolutely gorgeous images.

Sep 12, 2021 at 03:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Burcu9320

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Toughest shoot to date

I can't stop looking at them... all of them. Excellent work!

Sep 12, 2021 at 11:09 AM
surrylic

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Toughest shoot to date

friscoron wrote:
My last suggestion is on the group shot on 6.

I actually think that little boys sweet smile and his feet make the photo. They’re all so elegant and serious and everything about these photos are outstanding, and I think the cuteness and hint of that sneaky smile elevate it even more.

Sep 12, 2021 at 06:10 PM
Bobby_T
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Toughest shoot to date

These are amazing! Excellent work.

Sep 13, 2021 at 05:36 AM
akinol

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Toughest shoot to date

The post-editing work here and the lighting are just top-notch. Love the entire vibe and concept as well.

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:37 AM
bugawako

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Toughest shoot to date

Well done

Sep 14, 2021 at 09:49 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Toughest shoot to date

Super series! 7 is amazing, all are special

Sep 16, 2021 at 08:11 AM
niqlu
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Toughest shoot to date

He who Masters the Light has Conquered the World (of Photography)!!

Absolutely Stunning!!

Sep 25, 2021 at 07:57 PM
scorpio1
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Toughest shoot to date

These are absolutely gorgeous. Excellent work!!

Oct 04, 2021 at 12:36 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password