New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2021 · Ready for my closeup.

John Webb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ready for my closeup.

Congratulations to John Webb for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 6 votes - View Previous Winners

Image taken in the room of a Victorian B&B, using natural light, supplemented with a Rotolight Neo I, set to a warm WB.

This is not a straight portrait but my art and a result of letting the image take me in a direction it seem to want to go, in this case to give the image a more vintage feel. If deemed more painterly than photo that's fine by me. Having retired from the corporate world and spending more time with photography, it is these type of images printed on canvas that provide me with the funds to feed any of my gear acquisition desires. D800 with the Sigma 35mm @ F2.5.

Jul 26, 2021 at 04:21 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ready for my closeup.

Angle of incidence = angle of reflection. She's got a tooth perfectly situated to reflect back your key light. I suggest you tone it down, assuming it's not a gold tooth and part of her grill.

It's a fun image. I suggest you expand and try adding a subtle kicker/hair light.

Jul 26, 2021 at 04:39 PM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ready for my closeup.

Thank you. Unfortunately she's no longer modeling but will keep in mind...Devil in the details, I do try to police the image but sometimes just captivated by my subjects beauty and miss those items.. Will try to tone down that highlight and see if I can add a little kicker in post..

Jul 26, 2021 at 04:50 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ready for my closeup.

John Webb wrote:
Will try to tone down that highlight and see if I can add a little kicker in post..

Just to be clear, the current image is fine. I was offering the expanded lighting setup as food for thought down the road, since you seem to be offering photos as a service. The rim/hair/kicker will add even more panache to your work, which might translate into more income. ;-)

Jul 26, 2021 at 06:05 PM
KE_Photo
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ready for my closeup.

Nice! It's interesting to look at. I assume the BG is composite? Interesting that the brightest light comes from the upper LH - yet in the mirror reflection the light fades off in that direction and is brighter closer to her. :-) Regardless it's well done.

Jul 27, 2021 at 03:20 PM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ready for my closeup.

KE_Photo wrote:
Nice! It's interesting to look at. I assume the BG is composite? Interesting that the brightest light comes from the upper LH - yet in the mirror reflection the light fades off in that direction and is brighter closer to her. :-) Regardless it's well done.

Not a composite, in the corner of a small room of a B&B next to an armoire which was 90 deg to model. Created a vignette in post to separate at well as adding atmosphere/light camera right. Lighting was indirect natural light coming in directly behind and slightly right of camera position. Used a Rotolight Neo I as key highlighting models face and leg.

Jul 27, 2021 at 03:42 PM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ready for my closeup.

Very cool shot…

Love your treatment, lighting, composition…

Your processing really makes this a unique image.

Jul 27, 2021 at 04:36 PM
KE_Photo
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ready for my closeup.

John Webb wrote:
Not a composite, in the corner of a small room of a B&B next to an armoire which was 90 deg to model. Created a vignette in post to separate at well as adding atmosphere/light camera right. Lighting was indirect natural light coming in directly behind and slightly right of camera position. Used a Rotolight Neo I as key highlighting models face and leg.

OK guess I was wrong - I had read the part about the B&B room before - I was mostly referring to the wall texture and color. It looks a lot like it was filled in with something in post - a technique I use sometimes. If that's how it actually was it certainly is photographer friendly!

Jul 27, 2021 at 06:09 PM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ready for my closeup.

Mongrel wrote:
Very cool shot…

Love your treatment, lighting, composition…

Your processing really makes this a unique image.

Thanks, Usually the image will give me a feeling or direction in which to take it. I really play and follow those feelings instead of trying to process it in what most would consider realistic fashion. If I could paint, I would, but alas I’m terrible with a oils and watercolors so this is my outlet to create my art. It has been this way even before digital when I would use touling to take the edge of an image, pencil and crocein scarlet on the emulsion side to retouch the negatives, D&B, unsharp and contrast masks along with split filtration during print exposure and then finally selective bleaching and toning in the final print development.
---------------------------------------------

KE_Photo wrote:
OK guess I was wrong - I had read the part about the B&B room before - I was mostly referring to the wall texture and color. It looks a lot like it was filled in with something in post - a technique I use sometimes. If that's how it actually was it certainly is photographer friendly!

Wall texture was present but I did alter it’s luminosity and moved it from warmer yellow tones to more of the cooler teal tones. Not sure where you read about the B&B before but none of the images from that shoot had any composite work done/added in the post processing.

Jul 27, 2021 at 08:07 PM
scubasteve208

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ready for my closeup.

lots of talent here. I wouldn't even know where to begin with a shot like this

Jul 28, 2021 at 06:57 AM
terryeaton
• •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ready for my closeup.

Yeah this is outstanding smh. I didn't even notice the tooth thing until it was pointed out lol. Love the processing, mood, the mirror reflection... a solid winner!

Jul 28, 2021 at 02:23 PM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ready for my closeup.

scubasteve208 wrote:
lots of talent here. I wouldn't even know where to begin with a shot like this

Thanks, Had a great model, who brought a great wardrobe. We shot at the B&B that she was staying at which was perfect, with some nice natural diffused light that was supplemented with constant light from a Rotolight NEO I LED. When the model changed into the purple lingerie with the peignoir and then posed in the corner with the old armoire with mirror, it just screamed for a vintage treatment. In processing, I really play with the image, I’ll make and adjustment and see where it takes me. I have a general idea of where I want to go and the feeling I want to portray, in this case a upcoming actress in old Hollywood. Can’t recall how much time i spent in processing but it’s not uncommon to sometimes spend several hours working on an image.

Jul 28, 2021 at 08:53 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ready for my closeup.

John, such a beautiful, sultry, sexy woman!
With the very, VERY minor nit about the tooth reflection, which her beauty hides to me, she completely distracted me from that!
She is one classy woman! You did her most proud John!
Fine job!!!
Dan

Jul 29, 2021 at 08:50 AM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ready for my closeup.

Danpbphoto wrote:
John, such a beautiful, sultry, sexy woman!
With the very, VERY minor nit about the tooth reflection, which her beauty hides to me, she completely distracted me from that!
She is one classy woman! You did her most proud John!
Fine job!!!
Dan

Thanks Dan, she was a wonderful model and is a good photographer. I should have have caught the reflection on the tooth, and it will be on my mental checklist in future shoots. I enjoy shooting and the processing to see where the image takes me.

Jul 29, 2021 at 09:57 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ready for my closeup.

John you can always tone it down in PS.

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:03 AM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ready for my closeup.

airfrogusmc wrote:
John you can always tone it down in PS.

Thank you, yes i realize that it can be done after the fact in Ps or C1, and probably much easier to identify and correct in post. But it’s just something I’’ll add to the policing when shooting.

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:15 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ready for my closeup.

totally agree. Try and always get it right in camera.

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:43 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ready for my closeup.

terryeaton wrote:
Well, if I were going for that look, have you thought about seeing what it looks like in black and white?? Tha'ts one of my very favorite genre's! I love doing those.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49898929023_74e70c860a_b.jpg

This looks like the kicker hit her shoulder and her neck and jaw instead of the hat which needs a bit more separation from the backgrond in my opinion.

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:09 AM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ready for my closeup.

More illustrative take and playing around to put some motion in the peignoir, shoot at 1/15 but did not add the cooler teal coloration as in the above image.

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:02 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ready for my closeup.

^^^Liking this even better John!^^^^^
She would have graced my "locker" very nicely!
Dan

Aug 07, 2021 at 09:00 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.