Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2021 · The lesser know Sierra - wildflowers, mountains and milky way

dakel
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The lesser know Sierra - wildflowers, mountains and milky way

Hi
In early summer I made several dashes to the Carson Pass area of the Sierra. It's just under a 2 hour drive for me. Much less visitation than areas like Tahoe and Yosemite and in my mind no less beautiful. This year, they say Spring wildflowers were average but to me they were spectacular. I hadn't visited the area for a long time and it was great to re-acquaint myself with the area.

#1 OMG was this a mess to post-process. It was quite windy and the wildflowers were dancing with abandon. My lens was probably about 1 foot from the flowers. I tried shooting at 12 to 14mm but the background mountains became so small that I abandoned that idea. So I zoomed in to 24mm and took a handful of frames with a view to focus stacking the results. Because of the wind I repeated this multiple times. The result is not perfect but I'm happy with it. The focus stack was hand blended and took a long time. I find that PS does a poor job of auto-stacking in situations like this.

#2 Another evening. It was dead calm. I felt incredibly lucky to up at 9000ft experiencing this beautiful scene even with the swarms of blood sucking mosquitos making things difficult. I think this was 4 frames focus stacked and hand blended.

#3 I shot this location last year and I think I posted it here. Then I was a milky way noob and looking at it now, the results were quite poor. This year I classify myself as a milky way beginner. I graduated to using a star tracker (MSM) and took a panorama of tracked shots for the stars followed by a panorama of non-tracked shots for the foreground. I got lucky here, in that the sequence come out, and stitched together well with minimal star trailing. Subsequent efforts have proven to be failues . The quarter moon was out, hence the somewhat bright foreground. I'll tell you as well, being perched on this rock, 20ft up in the air, in the dark, for a couple of hours was kind of freaky.

Thanks for your time.
Derrick

Lupine and Round Top Mountain

A painters garden

Grey guardian

Jul 25, 2021 at 11:41 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The lesser know Sierra - wildflowers, mountains and milky way

The first image is a beauty.

In Iceland we are just past the peak lupine season (they're imported, not native) and the hue we see here is notably cooler than the lupines in your image.

Jul 26, 2021 at 03:10 AM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The lesser know Sierra - wildflowers, mountains and milky way

beautiful image set - nice Milky Way arching and gorgeous mountain scene with beautiful foreground wild flowers

Jul 26, 2021 at 04:09 AM
dakel
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The lesser know Sierra - wildflowers, mountains and milky way

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
The first image is a beauty.

In Iceland we are just past the peak lupine season (they're imported, not native) and the hue we see here is notably cooler than the lupines in your image.

Thanks Rajan. I was reading about Lupine in Iceland and New Zealand. Very interesting and people both for and against it's existence.

---------------------------------------------

junglialoh wrote:
beautiful image set - nice Milky Way arching and gorgeous mountain scene with beautiful foreground wild flowers

Thanks for your continued support.

Jul 30, 2021 at 11:20 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The lesser know Sierra - wildflowers, mountains and milky way

Love the colours and crispness of the second image and the Milky Way with the guardian anchoring the image is outstanding.

Jul 31, 2021 at 08:32 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The lesser know Sierra - wildflowers, mountains and milky way

I like the first two.

Jul 31, 2021 at 09:16 PM
Chuck Coyne
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The lesser know Sierra - wildflowers, mountains and milky way

Pics 1 and 2 have great colors, I especially like the 2nd one.

Aug 01, 2021 at 05:09 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The lesser know Sierra - wildflowers, mountains and milky way

Just beautiful compositions!!!!!! So vibrant! Milky Way is excellent!
Dan

Aug 01, 2021 at 08:48 AM
dakel
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The lesser know Sierra - wildflowers, mountains and milky way

chez wrote:
Love the colours and crispness of the second image and the Milky Way with the guardian anchoring the image is outstanding.

Thanks Chez. Appreciate it. I think the possibilities of photographing Indian paintbrush amongst the lush green of corn lillies are wonderful. The red contrast against the green. I know I'll be trying again next year.

bobby350z wrote:
I like the first two.

Thanks Bobby. Look forward to hearing about your 100s when it arrives.

Chuck Coyne wrote:
Pics 1 and 2 have great colors, I especially like the 2nd one.

Thanks Chuck. Appreciate you taking the time to comment and provide feedback.

Danpbphoto wrote:
Just beautiful compositions!!!!!! So vibrant! Milky Way is excellent!
Dan

Thanks Dan. Still some way to go to get to MW excellence. The location is actually a really cool place to explore in the Sierra. More cool than my one photo indicates. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Aug 01, 2021 at 08:17 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.