Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2021 · Hydrophobic feathers

AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hydrophobic feathers

Congratulations to AGeoJO for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 15 votes - View Previous Winners

To make a long story short, I was in Ecuador recently although the pandemic was still raging in some parts of the world. It rained quite a bit while I was there. Actually, it rained everyday. The smaller birds didn't seem to mind much. Hummingbirds love gloomy and/or rainy days. Some of them did get drenched but they were still active and they could shake the water off, just like dogs do, after the rain stopped.

Largish birds, on the other hand, I saw them at a few occasions, became somewhat lethargic. They stayed perched and moved their head back and forth or up and down and did so at a slow motion. You could literally moved in closer for close-up, within reason, of course, and they stayed put. One interesting aspect of the the rain, because their feathers are completely hydrophobic, beads of water just stayed on the top of there head or body. There are 3 birds the feather of which, I noticed to have that characteristic: Toucan Barbet, Plate-billed Mountain Toucan and Crimson-rump Toucanet. And here are some images of them during heavy rain.

Thank you for stopping by and please feel free to leave any feedback,
Joshua

© AGeoJO 2021

1. Toucan Barbet

© AGeoJO 2021

2. Toucan Barbet

© AGeoJO 2021

3. Plate-billed Mountain Toucan

© AGeoJO 2021

4. Plate-billed Mountain Toucan

© AGeoJO 2021

5. Crimson-rump Toucanet

May 08, 2021 at 12:44 AM
George Welch
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hydrophobic feathers

Joshua,

These are jaw droppingly gorgeous. What a wonderful accompaniment to my Satmorning coffee. So much to savor here. Looks like you were really able to take best advantage of what the weather (and birds) presented you. My only criticism is I wish there was more. I also like the descriptions you’ve been providing with your photos.

Cheers

George

May 08, 2021 at 06:00 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hydrophobic feathers

Gorgeous images Joshua. I bet the water was beading up on you and your gear as well. Like George, I'm enjoying my morning coffee while viewing these delightful images.

Morris

May 08, 2021 at 07:12 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hydrophobic feathers

George Welch wrote:
Joshua,

These are jaw droppingly gorgeous. What a wonderful accompaniment to my Satmorning coffee. So much to savor here. Looks like you were really able to take best advantage of what the weather (and birds) presented you. My only criticism is I wish there was more. I also like the descriptions you’ve been providing with your photos.

Cheers

George

Thank you very much for your kind comment, George! I am glad you like those images. I do have images of other largish birds in the rain but they we semi-protected by the rainforest canopy and the water beads on their feathers were not that obvious nor large. I will be posting more of these 3 birds albeit not in the rain…

morris wrote:
Gorgeous images Joshua. I bet the water was beading up on you and your gear as well. Like George, I'm enjoying my morning coffee while viewing these delightful images.

Morris

Morris, thank you very much for your kind words.Between the rain poncho and partly covered areas, a little water didn’t harm me nor the gear.

May 08, 2021 at 07:50 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hydrophobic feathers

Great set, Joshua! Brings back memories of our hummingbird shoot in the rain! A lot of fun, the rain notwithstanding.

May 08, 2021 at 08:21 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hydrophobic feathers

Nothing like some rain to add that touch of magic to these gorgeous shots. All so very beautiful.

Birdie

May 08, 2021 at 08:25 AM
dallvr
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hydrophobic feathers

Wonderful set, of which I particularly liked 2, 3 and 5! All are beautiful and the birds in some cases look resigned to being in the rain.

May 08, 2021 at 09:46 AM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hydrophobic feathers

These images are spectacular with superb detail and clarity. Really enjoyed looking at all of these exotic birds and how colorful they are. Did you a flash on any of them?

May 08, 2021 at 10:22 AM
roadapple
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hydrophobic feathers

Wow, Beautiful set in all Joshua !!! #3 really strikes me, but all are fantastic.

May 08, 2021 at 11:03 AM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hydrophobic feathers

Just beautiful images Joshua!
Bob

May 08, 2021 at 11:18 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hydrophobic feathers

bobbytan wrote:
Great set, Joshua! Brings back memories of our hummingbird shoot in the rain! A lot of fun, the rain notwithstanding.

Thank you very much, Bobby! Yes, indeed, I remembered that vividly.

birdied wrote:
Nothing like some rain to add that touch of magic to these gorgeous shots. All so very beautiful.

Birdie

Thank you very much, Birdie! Yes, rains added something to the images alright and I like that but it did a tad wet at times.

May 08, 2021 at 01:03 PM
OSP2017
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hydrophobic feathers

Absolutely fantastic images, Joshua! Looking forward to seeing many more pictures from your trip!!

May 08, 2021 at 01:23 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hydrophobic feathers

dallvr wrote:
Wonderful set, of which I particularly liked 2, 3 and 5! All are beautiful and the birds in some cases look resigned to being in the rain.

Shirley, thank you very much for your kind words! Yes, those birds did look resigned to be rained on alright.

louie champan wrote:
These images are spectacular with superb detail and clarity. Really enjoyed looking at all of these exotic birds and how colorful they are. Did you a flash on any of them?

I appreciate you kind comment, Louie! No, no flash was used for any of them. Flash is okay and used from time to time for hummingbirds but it is a no-no for these birds, especially the toucan barbet and plate-billed mountain toucans that are not that easily seen.

roadapple wrote:
Wow, Beautiful set in all Joshua !!! #3 really strikes me, but all are fantastic.

Thank you very much, Tom! I am glad you like the images.

May 08, 2021 at 03:25 PM
shibutg
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hydrophobic feathers

Wow, great pics again as usual, Joshua! Love the exotic birds, water droplets and colors. Voted.

May 08, 2021 at 05:49 PM
gcooke0522
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hydrophobic feathers

Absolutely stunning images, Joshua! Love all of them. Would love to get down to Ecuador/Costa Rica for a birding trip in the future. Definitely on my bucket list.

Gordon

May 08, 2021 at 06:41 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hydrophobic feathers

Arrestingly beautiful. Simply majestic. Well done!

May 08, 2021 at 08:11 PM
jaylee73
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hydrophobic feathers

Very enjoyable images Joshua. Nicely done and thanks for sharing.
Jason

May 08, 2021 at 08:12 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hydrophobic feathers

very nice set Joshua

May 08, 2021 at 08:16 PM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hydrophobic feathers

wonderfully done, Joshua. Rain adds so much to the effect. Brings back so many memories. voted for sure.

May 08, 2021 at 08:33 PM
juankgigo
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hydrophobic feathers

Nice work as usual Josh, so glad you got to visit Ecuador.

May 08, 2021 at 08:58 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.