Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2020 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design...

Photon-catcher

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

Please do check your 4 (too tiny) screws holding the tripod collar. Mine came loose after just a few days of usage.

I use the tripod collar with a sling strap to hold the camera (Z7) - lens combo.

It is really a manufacturing defect since these screws are very small and I do not believe they are capable of holding the weight and torgue of a camera with the lens. The outside looks sturdy, but is is not due to these small screws.

I do not think these screws are of a high quality ie tensile strenght could be too low.

I used some threadlock medium strenght to fasten these fasteners (screws). I hope it will be good enough.

Nikon must recall ALL these lenses and fix them asap.

In addition, Nikon must use a proper arca swiss mount for these tripod collars instead of a universal one. Now I have to get something else and it adds to the cost and weight.

Dec 15, 2020 at 07:12 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

There are several examples of user reporting mishaps happening when hanging the lens from a strap mounted on the tripod mount with several Nikon lenses. I don't think this is a good practice. The tripod mount is for mounting the lens on a tripod or monopod head. I always take the lens off the support for transportation and before moving between locations.

And no, I don't disagree on it being bad that this happens and a sturdier mount would improve many Nikon lenses. But still, as it is it is necessary to take precautions and not carry the lens from the tripod mount.

Dec 15, 2020 at 07:44 AM
Photon-catcher

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

ilkka_nissila wrote:
But still, as it is it is necessary to take precautions and not carry the lens from the tripod mount.

Well, if you do, the mount between camera and lens can break

Dec 15, 2020 at 07:46 AM
lukemeup
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

Just checked mine - no signs of any issues after 3.5 months of regular use.

Dec 15, 2020 at 09:53 AM
Photon-catcher

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

I just called Nikon service. They have no idea what I'm talking about. They will investigate and send me an email with some answers.

@Luke, good to hear. Do you use it with an attached sling?

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:03 AM
SiMuMe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

Colour me jaded, but if manufacturers hung out at internet fora, now would be the time to consider the route that clothes manufacturers have taken with labels like

- Do not place on fire.

For camera equipment, we need

- Images taken from this camera may not be compatible with software from companies we are not related to.
- This camera may not be fully compatible with lenses from manufacturers we are not related to.
- This camera may not take in-focus pictures if you deliberately make it difficult for it to acquire focus.
- This is not a lens handle.

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:08 AM
Creative Edge
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

SiMuMe wrote:
Colour me jaded, but if manufacturers hung out at internet fora, now would be the time to consider the route that clothes manufacturers have taken with labels like

- Do not place on fire.

For camera equipment, we need

- Images taken from this camera may not be compatible with software from companies we are not related to.
- This camera may not be fully compatible with lenses from manufacturers we are not related to.
- This camera may not take in-focus pictures if you deliberately make it difficult for it to acquire focus.
- This is not a lens handle.

love this...
I have been shooting professional motocross for a very long time, I use the 400 2.8 and a second body with the 70-200
with a strap attached to the foot... From the VR version 1 to the most recent one, I have never encountered a problem.
When I say I am running around the track, believe me I am running around the track.

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:13 AM
NYCPhotog
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

Don't carry the lens by the tripod mount? I guess someone should tell the thousands of sports photographers using monopods they're doing it wrong.

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:27 AM
Photon-catcher

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

Creative Edge wrote:
When I say I am running around the track, believe me I am running around the track.

I used to have an older 70-200/2.8. I also had never a problem. But I have no idea how that tripod collar is attached. Perhaps you can check and report back here?

It is possible that Nikon changed the design from sturdy screws to the flimsy ones in the newer S version.

Thanks

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:28 AM
ekam
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

Can you post some photos of what you're talking about?

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:31 AM
Photon-catcher

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

ekam wrote:
Can you post some photos of what you're talking about?

I'd love to. Any idea where can I upload photo's without paying for the service?

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:34 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

Photon-catcher wrote:
I'd love to. Any idea where can I upload photo's without paying for the service?

^ Posting's been FREE as long as I've been here
Find a "host" like Flickr and go nuts.

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:01 AM
lukemeup
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

Photon-catcher wrote:
@Luke@, good to hear. Do you use it with an attached sling?

I remove the foot and attach it only when planning to shoot with a tripod (got a kirk foot for that).

I screw in metal peak design anchor mount into the thread (around the 4 tiny screws you're mentioning). One end of my sling strap attaches to anchor mount on that adapter + the other end to the anchor mount on the l-bracket on the body. (https://photos.app.goo.gl/67zvMHjejcugoo1M7)

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:08 AM
Photon-catcher

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

Ok,

Hope this works

https://flic.kr/p/2khfK5z

tiny-screws by photon_catcher birds, on Flickr

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:19 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

Photon-catcher wrote:
Please do check your 4 (too tiny) screws holding the tripod collar. Mine came loose after just a few days of usage.

All four screws came loose? Or just one?

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:02 PM
Photon-catcher

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

All four

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:03 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

Photon-catcher wrote:
All four

Maybe rather than calling out that the sky is falling, what might be more appropriate is a warning that people should check the tension on the screws every once in a while. I know this was a reported issue on some of the 500pf lenses as well..or something similar.

But if you are going to use the foot as a carry handle it makes sense to check to make sure the handle is properly attached. I don't think there is a design issue that a screw driver can't fix.

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:29 PM
Photon-catcher

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

Well,

The screws are very small (circa 1 mm diameter). They will snap.

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:51 PM
LastPlace

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

Did the screws have any loctite or thread locker from the factory applied?

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:53 PM
Photon-catcher

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Warning - Manufacturing defect Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - design error

No threadlocker was used from the factory. All four screws were loose.

After a day of shooting, I found that the tripod collar was wiggly. Fortunately, the collar prevented the screws from falling out completely.

I used medium blue threadlocker loctide on them and screwed them in tightly (not too tight - I have no torgue screwdriver yet).

Because the diameter is very small, I can foresee that many will break in the field. That's why I want Nikon to recall them all and install better screws (eg M2 or M3).

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:59 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.