Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2020 · The Fishhead Nebula

another_mikey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Fishhead Nebula

Congratulations to another_mikey for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 6 votes - View Previous Winners

Firstly, apologies if posting astro images in this forum is a no no, but since I saw some others I thought I would try one and see. I will be fine if someone wants to tell me it is not OK.

Just finished processing data from a week of remotely controlling my gear that is in southern AZ (at a friends house) from here in CO. It is the second set of remote operations, this one occurring over the new moon week of October. I got 6 decent images this time, but this narrowband image of the Fishhead Nebula (IC1795) turned out to be my favorite one. This is almost 16 total hours of data, collected over about 4 nights. Standard narrowband filters for the nebula, processed with tone mapping, and then a small amount of RGB data used to allow natural color stars to be added back in.

This region shows the Fishhead Nebula, part of the larger Heart Nebula, a portion of which is also visible in this image. The bright area along the top is Melotte 15, an active star forming region in the center of the Heart Nebula. This was processed in a modified Hubble palette. I used a dedicated cooled mono astro camera with a filter wheel, a telescope, and a dedicated astrophotography tracking mount.

Comments and critiques welcome.

ML

Fishhead Nebula (IC1795) in Narrowband

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:01 AM
InnomnateViem
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Fishhead Nebula

Excellent imaging. And a damned good job of processing as well.

What OTA, mount, guidescope, SW? How dark was your sky?

No one has complained of astro images to my knowledge. With imagining this good, nor should they. Keep up the good work and keep them coming. This is quite inspiring for a beginning astrophotographer like me.

Of course it puts a bulls-eye on your back. Gives me something to shoot for.

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:49 AM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Fishhead Nebula

Thanks so much for the kind comments! Well, of course we were all beginning astrophotographers at one point, surely, and there are always those one can learn from, no matter how far you progress. I am certainly able to still learn plenty myself.

This was from a friend's house in Green Valley, AZ. The skies there are decent, but not the darkest to be found in the lower 48. Tucson is directly north, but this is in a part of town with nothing at all due east, and pretty decent skies for much of the southern exposure too. Because I have too many trees on my property here in CO, I have always had to image from elsewhere. I have gone on trips to parts of NM and AZ in the past, to some very dark sky areas. But then you are rolling the dice on the weather, and still can not spend as many hours on an object as you might like. So for me, this year, getting my gear set up in a semi-permanent way where I could then spend multiple nights getting multiple hours of data on objects has helped my results out probably as much or more than anything else. And just recently retiring also has meant lots more time to dig into the post processing side of things too, which has also paid dividends for me.

The full collection details are as follows:

Equipment:
ZWO ASI1600MM-C Camera @ -20C and
Gain:200 Offset:50
Software Bisque MyT Mount
Stellarvue SVQ100 Astrograph Refractor, 580mm @ f/5.8
Innovations Foresight ONAG

Software:
Pixinsight Commercial Version 1.8
Lightroom CC
Photoshop CC
Topaz DeNoise AI
Innovations Foresight SkyGuard
Software Bisque TheSkyX Professional

Light Frames:
Ha: 50 x 360 secs ( 5 hrs)
OIII: 51 x 360 secs (5 hrs 6 mins)
SII: 49 x 360 secs (4 hrs 54 mins)
Red: 30 x 30 secs (15 mins)
Green: 30 x 30 secs (15 mins)
Blue: 31 x 30 secs (15 mins 30 secs)

15 hrs 45 mins 30 secs total

Dark Frames:
10 x 60 secs, RGB (30 mins)
10 x 360 secs, Ha,OIII,SII (3 hrs)

Bias Frames

Flat Frames
20 each filter

You are likely a lot closer to results that you like as well or more than this than you might think. IMHO the most important things are:

1) Wanting to pursue the hobby with enough dedication to get images you love. I can tell you already have this one down.

2) A decent tracking mount. This is the most important piece of gear and trumps everything else. Trailed stars cancel out any other gains you might get from all the other gear and time you put into deep sky imaging. You certainly do not have to spend what I ended up spending to get a mount that will work well enough either, but having a higher end mount can really simplify things and let you work on getting more out of all the rest of your gear and processing. But astro frames with trailed stars are like terrestrial images that do not have your subject in focus as far as I am concerned.

3) Decent skies. Do not have to be super dark, but of course the darker the more efficiently you can collect your data typically.

Drop me a PM is you want to continue some discussions in a more private fashion - I love talking shop about this stuff, and I expect I could learn something from you too

ML

Nov 16, 2020 at 01:56 AM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Fishhead Nebula

Beautifully done such difficult nebula photography

Nov 16, 2020 at 06:09 AM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Fishhead Nebula

Stunning capture and presentation!

I hereby award you (like I have others who excel at astrophotography) the sobriquet "MR. HUBBLE."

Bravo!

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:59 PM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Fishhead Nebula

Thanks everyone! part of the fun of this is you can never be sure how something is going to turn out until you are able to start combining the data. This was the target I had the highest hopes for during the week+ of data collections, but this result did exceed my expectations

ML

Nov 16, 2020 at 01:23 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Fishhead Nebula

Mesmerizing! And posting astro images in this forum is a definite yes yes!

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:00 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Fishhead Nebula

Gosh that's a nice shot!

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:13 AM
mike reid
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Fishhead Nebula

Definitely mesmerizing...absolutely spectacular

Nov 17, 2020 at 11:57 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Fishhead Nebula

very nice image Mike

Nov 18, 2020 at 04:00 AM
V.Stiles

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Fishhead Nebula

I don't know if you're a member or not, but one of the best places I belong to for astro stuff is cloudy nights. I won't link the actual site but just put cloudy nights into google.

Lots of astro stuff besides photography, but it's the best place for astrophotography. Most of the members have been doing it since the 70s/80s and there is more knowledge there than anywhere else I've been. A great community and always willing to advise / help others. Check it out if you aren't already a member, won't be a waste of your time.

Nov 18, 2020 at 05:48 AM
bmike-vt
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Fishhead Nebula

Wow. Well done!

Nov 18, 2020 at 06:27 AM
DanielJStein
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Fishhead Nebula

Hol. E. Smokes. Amazing. This is so well processed. Look at all of the colors and dust! Outstanding.

Nov 18, 2020 at 06:50 AM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Fishhead Nebula

Thanks everyone, appreciate all the nice comments. Really fun when an image pops out of the data and takes you by surprise, like this one. I was expecting to like it, but I really am quite excited with how it came out.

V. Stiles,

I AM a CN member, very nice resource for sure. For some reason though I have not posted too many images there, I will have to consider putting a few of my latest ones over there. I also am on Astrobin - also a great resource.

Best Regards and thanks again,

ML

Nov 18, 2020 at 07:57 PM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Fishhead Nebula

Daniel,

Just noticed your Avatar image - very small but that looks like quite an exciting comet capture - is it hosted anywhere at decent viewing size?

ML

Nov 18, 2020 at 07:59 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Fishhead Nebula

Just a beautiful image!! Well done indeed!
Dan

Nov 24, 2020 at 09:19 AM
ajkessler7

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Fishhead Nebula

Amazing work!

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:47 PM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Fishhead Nebula

Well, I have never had a featured image before - now THAT is amazing, appreciate the votes!

ML

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:21 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Fishhead Nebula

That is epic.

Nov 28, 2020 at 02:23 AM
Samureye

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Fishhead Nebula

This is absolutely stunning. I wouldn't have a clue where to start to get such an incredible image. Pictures like this definitely deserve a place here on the landscape forum, so please keep 'em coming.
Thanks for sharing.

Nov 28, 2020 at 06:41 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.