Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

More Sierra Eastside Autumn Photographs...

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More Sierra Eastside Autumn Photographs...

Since I've been participating in a written discussion in this forum over the past two days, I kind of feel like I should also participate photographically. So here is a follow up to an earlier post that included some recent photographs from the excellent autumn color in the Eastern Sierra Nevada — excellent despite the challenges of working in wildfire smoke conditions that have occasionally be quite oppressive. (Usually I would be up there several times during the fall color season, but this year I was only able to be there for two nights.)

Ironically, given the challenges to being there and photographing this season, it was one of the best seasons for color that I've seen in a couple of decades. Unlike most years, there were lots of red and orange leaves and few instances of trees dropping leaves prematurely.

Enjoy.

Dan

Oct 28, 2020 at 06:30 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More Sierra Eastside Autumn Photographs...

Nice color touch for foliage mood

Oct 28, 2020 at 06:52 PM
fotofoow
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More Sierra Eastside Autumn Photographs...

Beautiful set Dan. I love the textures in the first and the warm and cool tones in the third. You are really making me regret not getting up there this Fall.

Oct 28, 2020 at 07:32 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More Sierra Eastside Autumn Photographs...

Always enjoy your work, Dan, and these are no exception. And I see a slice of North Lake in there.

Oct 28, 2020 at 07:46 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More Sierra Eastside Autumn Photographs...

Very nice! I would love to visit such beautiful places someday.

Oct 28, 2020 at 08:02 PM
dirt_mo

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More Sierra Eastside Autumn Photographs...

Might be the lack of October rain this year that let the trees hang onto their leaves a little longer. Great pics.

Oct 28, 2020 at 09:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More Sierra Eastside Autumn Photographs...

dirt_mo wrote:
Might be the lack of October rain this year that let the trees hang onto their leaves a little longer. Great pics.

What I've observed over the past half dozen or more years suggests that the change is happening earlier rather than later. That surprised me, since I figured that warmer temperatures would extend the "green" season. However, I understand that it doesn't work that way with the color change.

I still don't understand what makes the colors more varied one year than another. There are always some red and orange leaves, but in the Sierra the dominant color by far is plain old yellow. I am wondering if perhaps having warmer temperatures during late August and early September might have this effect, but I'll need to look back at temperature records from some earlier years in order to see if that idea holds water.

That last time I saw colors like these in this location was nearly a decade ago.

Dan

Oct 28, 2020 at 09:50 PM
zurura
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More Sierra Eastside Autumn Photographs...

Lovely images Dan. The colour looks so beautiful and liked your framing a lot as well. Images #4 & #5 would look nice a triptych with another one of such completing the set.

I would definitely read up your old posts about the seasons and the routes when I plan such a trip.
Thanks for sharing.

- Gautam

Oct 29, 2020 at 01:25 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More Sierra Eastside Autumn Photographs...

zurura wrote:
Lovely images Dan. The colour looks so beautiful and liked your framing a lot as well. Images #4 & #5 would look nice a triptych with another one of such completing the set.

I would definitely read up your old posts about the seasons and the routes when I plan such a trip.
Thanks for sharing.

- Gautam

Sorry I missed your post until now. Thanks for your comments.

Others have suggested combining some of the close-up aspen leaves photographs into diptychs or triptychs. I'm still working through the images of that sort, and there are perhaps a half dozen or so in that line now. I probably won't post all of them here, but they will show up at my website and in my social media posts. (Look for "gdanmitchell" on several of the popular services.)

If you are looking for more info on fall color in the Eastern Sierra, there's a page at my website that is a good starting point.

Dan

Nov 01, 2020 at 10:13 PM
zurura
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · More Sierra Eastside Autumn Photographs...

gdanmitchell wrote:
Sorry I missed your post until now. Thanks for your comments.

Others have suggested combining some of the close-up aspen leaves photographs into diptychs or triptychs. I'm still working through the images of that sort, and there are perhaps a half dozen or so in that line now. I probably won't post all of them here, but they will show up at my website and in my social media posts. (Look for "gdanmitchell" on several of the popular services.)

If you are looking for more info on fall color in the Eastern Sierra, there's a page at my website that is
...Show more

Thank you Dan. The link is really good. Thanks for sharing.

- Gautam

Nov 01, 2020 at 10:54 PM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · More Sierra Eastside Autumn Photographs...

Beautiful set of images Dan.. I love the way you composed #3

Nov 03, 2020 at 09:50 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password