Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Amazing White Mountains

Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Amazing White Mountains

Congratulations to Gregg B. for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 18 votes - View Previous Winners

So I just got back from my yet-another-trip to White Mountains. This time I was scouting the "high" grounds, and found an amazing area where there are lots of beautiful Ancient Bristlecones (still) growing.
It's at around 12000 feet elevation, which is very high for trees as normally they don't grow over 11000 feet (that's a tree line after which you'll find only rocks, so not very photogenic unless there's also a lake/river and maybe some snow/ice).
I've got an epic weather this time! Sunset was very reddish, with full of small (and local) rainfalls, and the moon didn't rise until about 2 am, so I had big part of the night available to shoot the Milky Way and stars.
I would consider this trip as very successful, but....
At night my tripod fell down with my camera still attached. My Nikon 14-30mm f/4 S lens took the whole impact and as you can guess, broke. The glass is still OK but the barrel and hood is a history (hood is cheap, I replaced it already). I'll be sending it to Nikon in LA to see what they can salvage, hopefully it's all fixable.
Yes, steep and rocky grounds can be dangerous even to a three leggers
Update: I've just learned that Nikon in Los Angeles is still closed. They open for a little while and now closed it again. I'll ship it to New York

The last image was just me messing around with Photoshop. The sun is a photograph I took with my telephoto lens that had 1000x filter attached. It's a special filter I normally use to shoot (right before the totality happens) total eclipse. I'm waiting for the 2024 total solar eclipse, and as you can see, I'm already prepared
The foreground shot was taken at 24mm. I just combined both shots into this final image in PS.
What I'm looking for is a good spot with a nice tree I can zoom on while the sun is behind it (preferably at sunset). This shot is just what I think I would get if all elements of equations would align properly, and with this filter on. I'll figure it out.
But this image came out alright I think, for a composite shot....

The image with the Milky Way is also two images combined. One for the foreground, another for the Milky Way. Why? I took the Milky Way image with my cheap-o star tracker for which I paid maybe $300. I thought it won't work well but I was able to expose for a 153 seconds with an amazing results. This was a first time I've used it and I have to say I'm very happy with this star tracker.

Edited on Aug 18, 2020 at 08:31 PM · View previous versions

Aug 18, 2020 at 06:14 PM
roythegreat
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Amazing White Mountains

That is a clean home run. You keep on inspiring us.
Voted

Aug 18, 2020 at 06:34 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Amazing White Mountains

Wow, this is a beautiful set!

Aug 18, 2020 at 07:55 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Amazing White Mountains

Acme of beauty of night photography

Aug 18, 2020 at 08:13 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Amazing White Mountains

Excellent work, Greg.

Aug 18, 2020 at 08:32 PM
fotofoow
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Amazing White Mountains

Another exquisite set Gregg. The first and last one are my favorite. I'm normally not a fan of composites, but the last photo is mesmerizing. Was it very hot in the White Mountains?

Aug 18, 2020 at 08:37 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Amazing White Mountains

Breathtaking! Good luck with the lens.
Phil

Aug 18, 2020 at 08:59 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Amazing White Mountains

fotofoow wrote:
Another exquisite set Gregg. The first and last one are my favorite. I'm normally not a fan of composites, but the last photo is mesmerizing. Was it very hot in the White Mountains?

At 12000 feet you won't be hot! I had sweater and jacket on!. It was cool during day, but got cold after sunset.Good thing I had no wind....

Aug 18, 2020 at 10:52 PM
guidostow
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Amazing White Mountains

Beautiful set! Sorry about the lens. I lost a Canon TSE-45 to excess gravity once. Frightening/saddening moment to dive for it and fail...

Aug 19, 2020 at 06:17 AM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Amazing White Mountains

stunning set

Aug 19, 2020 at 07:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Amazing White Mountains

Amazing

Aug 19, 2020 at 07:19 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Amazing White Mountains

fotofoow wrote:

_______
+1

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:14 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Amazing White Mountains

i enjoyed them all Greg

Aug 20, 2020 at 03:33 AM
mhsinca
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Amazing White Mountains

Thanks for posting! Exceptionally beautiful and intriguing set of images. Love #1.
What did you use to light the foreground Pine? How did you do it? Looks fabulous.

And, the only time I would be at 12,000 feet is up in an airplane! Nice work.

Aug 20, 2020 at 09:36 AM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Amazing White Mountains

Beautiful set of images!

Aug 20, 2020 at 09:51 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Amazing White Mountains

mhsinca wrote:
Thanks for posting! Exceptionally beautiful and intriguing set of images. Love #1.
What did you use to light the foreground Pine? How did you do it? Looks fabulous.

And, the only time I would be at 12,000 feet is up in an airplane! Nice work.

Oh I just used my small LED flash light. I was standing to the left, and remote trigger my camera with my Nikon WR-R10 remote, that was it.

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:08 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Amazing White Mountains

Gorgeous set. I love them all except that last one (!).
I might just make it there in a couple week myself. This inspires me.

Aug 21, 2020 at 06:15 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Amazing White Mountains

And I'm sorry about your lens.
Been there. Done that. And it sucks. So sorry.

Aug 21, 2020 at 06:16 PM
dakel
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Amazing White Mountains

Awesome set. Love #1 and #5. Amazing light in 5. Is that a satellite in #1 causing the streak? More likely a plane?

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:21 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Amazing White Mountains

dakel wrote:
Awesome set. Love #1 and #5. Amazing light in 5. Is that a satellite in #1 causing the streak? More likely a plane?

It's a meteor.

Aug 24, 2020 at 10:38 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password