Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2020 · Foxtail Pines

Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Foxtail Pines

Congratulations to Gregg B. for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 14 votes - View Previous Winners

So after short but brutal hike to about 10500 feet elevation (3.2KM) I have found my composition. I didn't care I had no clouds, the place looked otherworldly anyway. This was only 1.5 miles hike but extremely steep with 1500 elevation gain on a sandy (partially rocky) trail at that. I've made 30 steps and rested 1 or 2 minutes before I continued.
I think it took me over 2 hours to hike 1.5 miles! (normally I can hike 1 mile in about 20 minutes). This wasn't a hike, it was a punishment, I just didn't know what it was for
After arriving to a flat rocky area with lots of amazing Foxtail and Bristlecone pine trees I've scouted the place, which at this elevation was not an easy task, and chosen few trees that could look good with the Moon and at sunset/sunrise.
Since I had the Moon up between 6pm and 3am I didn't have a chance to get a good shoot of the Neowise comet. Yes, it was still up and I've shot it but the light (tail's light) was very faint and almost invisible.
The last image has the Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn nicely aligned. The best part of Milky Way (I was hoping to shoot) was right behind the bright (at about 76%) Moon, so nope, no Milky Way this time.
Anyway, here are few fruits of my struggle....

Edited on Aug 06, 2020 at 09:36 PM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2020 at 04:28 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Foxtail Pines

Gorgeous professional photography taken masterfully

Aug 02, 2020 at 05:01 PM
roythegreat
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Foxtail Pines

Superb set. Extraordinary

Aug 02, 2020 at 06:08 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Foxtail Pines

Very nice Gregg. Were you hiking in the Sierra or the Whites?

Aug 02, 2020 at 06:56 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Foxtail Pines

Jeffrey wrote:
Very nice Gregg. Were you hiking in the Sierra or the Whites?

Eastern Sierra Nevada. I was in White Mountains last week

Aug 02, 2020 at 07:10 PM
erielake
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Foxtail Pines

nice to see a larger version of that first one as the one on 500px didn't do it justice...great set

Aug 03, 2020 at 06:55 AM
rwolson
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Foxtail Pines

Outstanding

Aug 03, 2020 at 01:55 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Foxtail Pines

erielake wrote:
nice to see a larger version of that first one as the one on 500px didn't do it justice...great set

It's the same image, so should be the same resolution but I think 500px resizes each image bases on the browser window's size, or on what type of device.

Aug 03, 2020 at 02:18 PM
erielake
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Foxtail Pines

Gregg B. wrote:
It's the same image, so should be the same resolution but I think 500px resizes each image bases on the browser window's size, or on what type of device.

the resolution is the same but verticals on 500px max out at around 800px high

Aug 05, 2020 at 07:49 AM
BlueRidge
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Foxtail Pines

Fantastic work, and given the physical climb, well earned! Love the trees in the foreground.

Not to start a territorial debate, but I find the Sierras to be more beautiful than the Rockies and more colorful than the Alaskan Range. Hope I can return to all of them some day!

Aug 05, 2020 at 01:02 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Foxtail Pines

very nice images Greg

Aug 05, 2020 at 07:55 PM
jpturner

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Foxtail Pines

Absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

Aug 06, 2020 at 06:21 AM
DanielJStein
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Foxtail Pines

These are stunning, you absolutely nailed these compositions. What focal length did you take the shots with the trees and large moon in?

Aug 06, 2020 at 07:52 AM
mseawell

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Foxtail Pines

I can attest to your "punishment" hiking the mountains of northern Utah and in particular Lake Blanche in Big Cottonwood Canyon. But I have to say these images are so good, stunning captures of moments in time that it was worth the price of admission to be there to see it. Great work from someone who obviously knows his craft.

Mark

Aug 06, 2020 at 04:13 PM
war72
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Foxtail Pines

Spectacular, specially 3 and 5.
Is that one shot, or focus blended?

Aug 06, 2020 at 05:35 PM
Dougo
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Foxtail Pines

Amazing work a pleasure to view.

Aug 07, 2020 at 06:48 PM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Foxtail Pines

Whoa...like whoa! This is some SPECTACULAR work Gregg.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:00 PM
JohanEickmeyer
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Foxtail Pines

Awesome scenery! Nice editing on the tonal ranges.

If I have to offer any critical feedback it might be along the lines of too much moon, which feels a bit contrived. Also, the framing is a little too tight on the sides of the trees. For such an expansive area of incredible views, I feel constrained by not seeing more of it in context to the subjects. Just a couple of nitpicks of personal preference. Still great images no matter what.

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:40 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Foxtail Pines

Thanks for all comments. Just to clarify...
All images had the moon in. Nothing was contrived. But, almost all shots were taken at 14mm or so, so the moon came out so tiny, it was "useless" as a compositional element. So, I shot it at 50mm and replaced the small Moon with the larger one to recreate what I saw with my eyes. If I'm not mistaken human eyes see at about 43mm or 50mm when compared to a lens' focal length. The only difference is human see panoramically (unless you're missing one eye) so the angle of view is more like 22 or 25mm. Anyway, the Moon was there, and the last images shows it at its more or less original size except the starburst (or moon burst) effect and lots of light making it appear larger than it actually was...

Edited on Aug 16, 2020 at 06:09 PM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2020 at 03:06 PM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Foxtail Pines

Oh...one other question Gregg. Were the images shot with the "Nikon 14-24 S F/4" you have listed in your profile?

Aug 15, 2020 at 08:48 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.