Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

MAC
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

LeeSimms wrote:
We shot four events over the holiday weekend with an R6 and an R 24-105L, plus an EF adaptor (thanks to Mike's Camera in Boulder for pulling some strings to get us one). Three of our photographers used it over the weekend. I only shot with it for about six hours (one small wedding and parts of other days).

First, answering my earlier questions ...

1) The EVF does not freeze or blackout. I got 300-speed SanDisk cards that are likely overkill for stills shooting, but I am not sure how fast your cards need to be rapid-fire shooting. Still playing with
...Show more

Great summary!

II love my RF 24-105 F4 L IS with nano focus and control ring. I have my control ring set to EC and with the mirrorless exposure simulation I get EXPOSURES exactly where I want them Proper exposures almost everytime is a blessing. Glad you are enjoying! Waiting on my RF 85 F2 IS also. Canon has finally released knock your socks off gear!

Sep 26, 2020 at 10:24 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

I have a second one arriving from Canada, tomorrow. Also got the battery grip from CanonUSA and another EF adaptor from B+H.

So far, extreme backlit situations with no light on the subject is the only thing that makes the AF stumble.

Oct 08, 2020 at 09:24 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

I've redone my custom controls and settings more on the this camera than any Canon in the past. With so many options you want to change on the fly, selecting which button does which takes some time to nail down. With every event you get a different idea on what the fastest finger moves are.

I've watched a couple of YouTube videos on how other wedding photographers have set up their R5/R6's and it's nothing how I've tweaked mine. That's a good thing as you can really make it your own.

Oct 08, 2020 at 09:34 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

LeeSimms wrote:
I have a second one arriving from Canada, tomorrow. Also got the battery grip from CanonUSA and another EF adaptor from B+H.

So far, extreme backlit situations with no light on the subject is the only thing that makes the AF stumble.

is your subject pretty far from you?
I don't have AF issues in back light situations.

Oct 08, 2020 at 06:43 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

Love the R6.
rented the Rf15-35... that is sweet.

i have the RF28-70... work fabulous with the R6.
So does the 70-200 vii.

basically... the R6 disappears in the hand when shooting a wedding.
I have shot 2 stills and 1 wedding all video. (no heating issues.) yes on the latest firmware....
I was shooting with an atomos ninja v.
I have another wedding this weekend. indian wedding. a smaller one for Dallas.

simply.... it is the sleeper of the two bodies released by canon.

cards: me love anglebird SD. run at 300meg/s.
I have sandisk @ 300meg/s.... but will move over to anglebird.

I have the Angelbird ssd for the ninja v.
for event shooters... it is golden.

Oct 08, 2020 at 06:52 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

> I don't have AF issues in back light situations

It's happened to me twice in the same type of setting. Night time shooting with a lot of bistro lights in the background. Camera just stops. Of course there are workarounds, but the AF is so good you think there's nothing it can't do. Turns out, it does have a weak spot. Now that I know it does it, I just make sure there's someone around with an iPhone (flashlight) to get a hint of light on the subjects.

Oct 09, 2020 at 01:20 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

So even in af spot mode ... where you are picking the location it is still having issues?

assuming in eye detect?
I am not in eye detect all the time. shooting details and such... nope.
and some time at reception(dancing) i am not.

I still need to play with zone setup for eye detect.... thinking with multiple people ... tell the camera who is important.

Oct 09, 2020 at 03:10 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

Spot AF or 1-point ... no eye detect (for the late night photos that fail). Oddly, that's also with a speedlight attached (transmitter for OCF). You'd think the AF assist would make things right, but ... no

BTW, for eye detect, I always tell the camera who to track

Oct 09, 2020 at 11:04 PM
MAC
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

LeeSimms wrote:

with RF lenses and the control ring on the far edge of the lens (like my RF 24-105 F4 L which I like the control ring on the edge of the lens versus getting the adaptor with control ring and using EF lenses), I set the control ring to change EC (Exposure Compensation). With Backlit situations, I can then on the fly quickly change the EC and brighten the subject and blow out the backdrop. It is fantastic and quick to have EC quickly on the fly combined with exposure simulation of mirrorless. I'm shooting RAW and high jpg combined and I get more useable straight out the camera jpg's than ever before in my 20 years of digital. Getting the right EXPOSURE rules, along with the great eye focus.

Oct 10, 2020 at 08:17 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

My 2nd adaptor didn't arrive yet from B+H so last night I shot an over-the-top wedding with the 25-105 on one body (my only RF lens) and all my other glass on the gripped/adaptor body. My first all R6 wedding.

I'm still blown away. The reception AF is beyond words. Crazy choreographed dancing, every photo, bang on. And I'm so thankful Canon added a thumbwheel so as MAC mentioned all of your exposure parameters are a fingertip away.

THESE are the good old days. Mind, blown.

Oct 10, 2020 at 09:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

I think the LED AF assist beam might help with my nocturnal hero shots. Confession, it was turned off. Jokes on me.

Oct 11, 2020 at 08:53 AM
hvu2012
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

My R6 will arrive this weekend. Can't wait to test it out. Right now, I only use EF lens with adapter. I hope that 135mm L will work well with R6.

Oct 27, 2020 at 01:04 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

The 135L sings on it! All of our legacy lenses do, which is why the switch makes me so happy. No pressure to update to RF mount. All in due time.

Edited on Oct 27, 2020 at 07:28 PM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2020 at 07:21 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

The menus and customization are vast! I had to record the settings to keep them consistent across THREE R6's (the fleet is growing).

Weddings are highly-repetitious rituals and once you get a shooting style for parts of the day, you can leverage C1-C3 and various buttons to speed up your shooting flow. I often shoot in one of the pre-programmed custom modes, but go to full Manual for flash work (reception dancing, speeches, bride+groom hero shots, etc).

I like essentially two modes for AF ...

For static subjects (decor, details) I use half-press single point, one shot mode.

For human subjects I prefer to 'serve up' the person to track, then hold AF-ON with my thumb while the camera locks on to an eye of a person (or dog) I selected. I can move around, chat it up with the subject and the AF stays locked on allowing super-shallow portraits to always been in focus, despite subject (or photographer) movement.

if its not noted, dont change

RED 1

Image Quality RAW
Cropping FULL

RED 2

ISO Speed Settings - ISO speed range 100-12800 - Auto Range 100-12800 - Min Shutter Speed, press on AUTO and turn up (prevents Av mode shutter speeds getting too low)
Auto Lighting OFF
Highlight Tone OFF
Anti-Flicker ENABLE

RED 3

White Balance - AWB-W press AWB, then the INFO button for the W mode which is a colder balance under tungsten lights (no more murky Canon photos)
Clarity - 0

RED 6

Release shutter without card OFF

RED 7

IS Mode - ON, digital IS ON, Still Photo IS - Only for shot
Touch Shutter disable
Image Review 4 secs - viewfinder review disable
Exposure simulation - Enable
Shooting info settings - personal, but we prefer to always see the 3x3 grid

RED 8

Display Performance - smooth looks better and does not drain battery that much

PURPLE 1

AF operation ONE SHOT AF (Servo is a hot key set to AF-ON)
AF method you pick
Subject to Detect - leave on PEOPLE unless you have dogs at a wedding (add to MyMENU)
Touch & Drag - Enable, Relative, Right side of screen

PURPLE 2

Peaking ON, Level HIGH, color Blue
Focus Guide ON
AF-assist LED (add to MyMENU)

PURPLE 3

SERVO AF, Case 2 > then adjust tracking sensitivity all the way

PURPLE 4

Switching Tracked Subjects - 0 (to the left)
Limit AF methods - fewer is better (faster cycling through modes you actually use). Try the first 3 and turn off others
AF Method Selection - turn on the wheel
Orientation linked AF point - turn on separate points (doesnt seem to work as well as the Mark IV)

PURPLE 5

Initial Servo AF point for face/eye tracking - select the top one (means photographer picks initial tracking subject)
Sensitivity AF pt - either middle, or left if you want a slower joy stick

YELLOW 1

Record func - still camera Rec options, REC TO MULTIPLE
Auto Rotate - ON for computer only

YELLOW 2

Power Saving - viewfinder off, 3 mins
Eco Mode - ON
YELLOW 3

Screen VF display - AUTO2 (not sure though)
Screen Brightness - 7
Viewfinder Brightness - 5
Color Tone - 3
YELLOW 4

Sensor Cleaning - Auto Cleaning, Enable

YELLOW 5, Custom Shooting Modes

C1 for available light shooting. Av mode aperture wide open, metered 1/3 stop down (protect delicate Canon highlights), AUTO ISO, mechanical shutter, anti-flicker

C2 for INDOOR available light shooting. Tv mode at 1/160th, AUTO ISO, mechanical shutter, anti-flicker

C3 SILENT shooting for INDOOR tense getting-ready rooms or church ceremony. Tv mode aperture wide open, AUTO ISO, turn anti-flicker off, full electronic shutter, make certain drive mode is on SINGLE shot (or you will fill up your memory card with motor dive sequences youll never knew you shot). Note, without anti-flickr on your shots might have inconsistent lighting so use sparingly if you want fast post-processing.

ORANGE 1

Safety Shift - Tv/Av

ORANGE 2

Set Shutter Speed - I turned minimum shutter up to 1/15th second

ORANGE 3

Control Ring Rotation - Reversed

ORANGE 3 CUSTOMIZED BUTTONS

Shutter Button, AF start
Movie Button, Dial Func
AF ON (the 'oh snap' button), AF start WITH CUSTOMIZATION - Detail Set, AF operation SERVO, AF Method Face/Eye tracking, Servo AF Characterisitcs 2
AE lock (Star button), Flash Function Settings
AF Point Selection, lead on AF point selection
DOF preview, leave on DOF preview
Lens - I turned OFF
M-Fn - one shot/servo
Set - I have on AF Point Selection - not firm on decision
Joystick - turn on direct AF point selection

ORANGE 3 CUSTOMIZE DIALS

Top Main Dial, Av
Thumbwheel Control Dial 2, ISO
Legacy Control Wheel, Tv
Lens Control Ring, Exposure Compensation (not firm on that one)

MY MENU 1

AF Assist (to turn on and off camera LED focus help)
Shutter Mode
Anti-Flickr Shooting
Eye Detection
Subject To Detect

MY MENU 2

IS Mode
Date/Time/Zone
Format Card
Highlight Alert
Initial Servo AF Point for Face Tracking

MY MENU 3

Screen Brightness
VF Brightness

Oct 27, 2020 at 07:23 PM
hvu2012
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

LeeSimms wrote:
The 135L sings on it! All of our legacy lenses do, which is why the switch makes me so happy. No pressure to update to RF mount. All in due time.

Glad that you're happy with 135L on R6. Can't wait to test mine this weekend.

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:15 AM
hvu2012
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

Wow..thanks LeeSimms for detail setup on R6.

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:20 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

5 of our 12 photographers are all R6 now.

3 are dual D750
1 is dual D850
1 is dual 5D4
one is z6II / z7II
and the last is z5 / z7

I thought by now at least one of our folk would be Sony by now, but no.

I did get one of my R6's serviced. CPS replaced the EVF assembly in a day. It was doing an odd flash-then-black-out thing.

The future is so bright, I have to wear shades.

May 19, 2021 at 09:11 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

If I wasn't a mirrorless convert already, a couple of weeks back I had the most bizarrely ADD bride in my career (1200+ weddings). The timeline and scheduled events were for amusement only and she had every vendor on her every whim ("nope, now I don't want to cut the cake - you cut it and serve" 5 mins later "hey, lets cut the cake"). Getting home I look at the coverage. Every single photo in the most bizarre day, tack sharp. Culling was just selecting her best expressions (which changed every millisecond, not kidding).

As I much as I love these, I could see spending up for the upcoming R3 with eye-controlled AF point selection. Spending all day sending the AF point around with the joystick (in crowded scenes) gets old. I know, I know, first world problems.

May 19, 2021 at 09:27 AM
joosay
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

Remember when we used AA batteries for flashes and messed around with janky pocket wizards for OCF?

Now we have noise hair AF and 80mp images. What a time to be a photographer.

May 21, 2021 at 02:08 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

The R6 is only 20mp so you have to in-camera crop like you're taking 35mm film to K-Mart, but yeah it's a GREAT time to be a photographer.

My first OCF was a RadioSlave mounted to a Norman 200B (shooting film, no chimp screen) in 1991.

May 21, 2021 at 04:26 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password