FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

Congratulations to AGeoJO for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 20 votes - View Previous Winners

I anticipated this falcon to take off and I tracked it at 10fps until it disappeared behind some cliffs. I got 21 frames from the beginning until its tail was still showing. Here are 8 images from that sequence. BTW, some feathers from its prey still stuck in the claws .

Thank you for stopping by and please feel free to leave any feedback,
Joshua

AGeoJO 2020

ILCE-9M2    FE 600mm F4 GM OSS lens    600mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

AGeoJO 2020

ILCE-9M2    FE 600mm F4 GM OSS lens    600mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

AGeoJO 2020

AGeoJO 2020

AGeoJO 2020

AGeoJO 2020

AGeoJO 2020

AGeoJO 2020

ILCE-9M2    FE 600mm F4 GM OSS lens    600mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 25, 2020 at 05:12 PM
Chris Schlaf
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

Incredible images Joshua, keep up the great work :-)

GMV

Apr 25, 2020 at 05:22 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

Great job tracking the speedster Joshua

Morris

Apr 25, 2020 at 05:54 PM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

Wow, what an incredible series Joshua.

Apr 25, 2020 at 06:02 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

That is one beautiful set, Joshua. Wow. Processing is lovely too.

Apr 25, 2020 at 06:03 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

Chris Schlaf wrote:
Incredible images Joshua, keep up the great work :-)

GMV

I appreciate your compliment and thank you very much for your vote, Chris!

morris wrote:
Great job tracking the speedster Joshua

Morris

Thank you very much, Morris!

louie champan wrote:
Wow, what an incredible series Joshua.

Louie, thank you kindly!

KCollett wrote:
That is one beautiful set, Joshua. Wow. Processing is lovely too.

I really appreciate your kind words, Ken!

Apr 25, 2020 at 06:08 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

Excellent work Joshua ~ Ron

Apr 25, 2020 at 09:00 PM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

Terrific set of photos, Joshua! I have been watching recently hatched Peregrine Falcon chicks in a nest on the UC Berkeley campanile:

It is fascinating to see how fast the chicks are growing 6 days after the first two hatched. In addition I watched a Q&A by the folks who operate this webcam (

) and learned that the falcons can "stoop" at 250 mph to do an aerial dive to catch their prey in flight. Fascinating and beautiful animals.

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:08 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

very nice indeed Joshua

Apr 26, 2020 at 01:35 AM
bobobird

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

WOW!

Apr 26, 2020 at 01:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

surfnron wrote:
Excellent work Joshua ~ Ron

Thank you very much, Ron!

dallvr wrote:
Terrific set of photos, Joshua! I have been watching recently hatched Peregrine Falcon chicks in a nest on the UC Berkeley campanile:

It is fascinating to see how fast the chicks are growing 6 days after the first two hatched. In addition I watched a Q&A by the folks who operate this webcam (

) and learned that the falcons can "stoop" at 250 mph to do an aerial dive to catch their prey in flight. Fascinating and beautiful animals.

Shirley,
I just watched both clips; thank you for the links. And thank you for your kind words, too, of course. The female falcon in those images is currently incubating the eggs. We anticipate the eggs to hatch by the end of this month. After that both mom and dad will be busy feeding the chicks. Dad is doing more hunting and will call out to mom to grab the food and they do that most of the time mid-air. I do have plenty of falcon images documenting their behavior but I still miss good mid-air food transfer images. So, in about a week, I will be spending more time at the site.

kmunroe wrote:
very nice indeed Joshua

Thank you very much, Kenny!

bobobird wrote:
WOW!

Thank you very much, bobobird!

Apr 26, 2020 at 08:25 AM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

AGeoJO wrote:
Shirley,
I just watched both clips; thank you for the links. And thank you for your kind words, too, of course. The female falcon in those images is currently incubating the eggs. We anticipate the eggs to hatch by the end of this month. After that both mom and dad will be busy feeding the chicks. Dad is doing more hunting and will call out to mom to grab the food and they do that most of the time mid-air. I do have plenty of falcon images documenting their behavior but I still miss good mid-air food transfer images. So, in
...Show more

Joshua, I look forward to seeing your photos of the mid-air food transfer. With this webcam, I've only seen the male come in with food while the female takes a bit of a break. The chicks have grown quite a bit in a week, and so feedings are more frequent.

Apr 26, 2020 at 09:01 AM
dclark
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

Excellent sequence of shots! The light for these shots was ideal.

I wish we could follow the falcons, but our sites here in SD are closed. I was at Torrey Pines several weeks ago and the Peregrines were starting to nest, but there were way too many people on the beach and the trail at the top of the cliff. I quickly left and have not returned. It's not clear when we will be able to get back to check on them. I expect when the beaches and parks re-open it will be a mob scene. Maybe no Peregrines for me this year.

Dave

Apr 26, 2020 at 09:27 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

These are excellent Joshua in presentation. Really a nice perch and BG too. I've looked them over several times.............impressive captures for sure

Karl

Apr 26, 2020 at 09:27 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

My pick is #7.

Apr 26, 2020 at 09:39 AM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

Beautiful backgrounds Joshua!

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:16 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

Excellent images Joshua !!! Gorgeous background and amazing clarity on these . Very well done.

Birdie

Apr 26, 2020 at 02:47 PM
ManuelLaMantia
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

Impressive Joshua! Now with Firefox all images seem absolutely perfect in clarity and details. Great sequence but to my eyes #3, #5, and #7 are outstanding
Manuel

Apr 26, 2020 at 03:10 PM
Dave_E
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

What a beautiful set of images Joshua. I've said it before but your shots have a wonderful 3D effect and sharp as a tack.

Dave

Apr 26, 2020 at 04:34 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Out of sight in mere 2 seconds...

dallvr wrote:
Joshua, I look forward to seeing your photos of the mid-air food transfer. With this webcam, I've only seen the male come in with food while the female takes a bit of a break. The chicks have grown quite a bit in a week, and so feedings are more frequent.

Thank you, Shirley! We will see how lucky I can get this season around... The problem is the location is quite far away from my place, unlike the location of the burrowing owls I photographed quite a bit last year.

dclark wrote:
Excellent sequence of shots! The light for these shots was ideal.

I wish we could follow the falcons, but our sites here in SD are closed. I was at Torrey Pines several weeks ago and the Peregrines were starting to nest, but there were way too many people on the beach and the trail at the top of the cliff. I quickly left and have not returned. It's not clear when we will be able to get back to check on them. I expect when the beaches and parks re-open it will be a mob scene. Maybe no Peregrines for me
...Show more

Dave, thank you very much! The nesting time is about the same down there and up here. In about a week or so, the eggs should hatch. I would give it at least another try, Dave.

Karl Witt wrote:
These are excellent Joshua in presentation. Really a nice perch and BG too. I've looked them over several times.............impressive captures for sure

Karl

Karl, thank you very much! Yes, the slope in the background is a mile away... well, not really, but far away. Hence, the smooth background using that long lens.

Apr 26, 2020 at 06:45 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password