fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       …       8       9       end
  

Archive 2019 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced

  
 
Jonathan F
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


Finally got to shoot with the 18mm today. Here are a couple photos to showcase this lens!


190917_SAMYANG_18_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_035 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


190917_SAMYANG_18_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_034 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


190917_SAMYANG_18_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_044 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


190917_SAMYANG_18_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_030 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


190917_SAMYANG_18_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_007 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


190917_SAMYANG_18_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_031 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


190917_SAMYANG_18_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_002 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr



Sep 17, 2019 at 03:28 PM
Dultimate
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


Looks like there is a review up from ephotozine

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-af-18mm-f-2-8-fe-lens-review-33999

"There is so much on the plus side for the Samyang AF 18mm f/2.8 FE lens – it's affordable, really sharp, focuses fast and produces crisp, attractive images. Handling is superb."

Looks good.



Sep 18, 2019 at 07:49 AM
billsnature
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


Anyone compared this to 16-35 GM at 18mm? The classic expensive zoom vs cheap fixed show down. I would be especially interested in coma distortion in corners for astro.


Sep 18, 2019 at 09:25 AM
lora_to
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced




Dultimate wrote:
Looks like there is a review up from ephotozine

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-af-18mm-f-2-8-fe-lens-review-33999

"There is so much on the plus side for the Samyang AF 18mm f/2.8 FE lens – it's affordable, really sharp, focuses fast and produces crisp, attractive images. Handling is superb."

Looks good.


Just wanted to point out that ephotozine was also super positive on the Samyang 24/2.8 FE. Currently owning that lens, it's great for the size and price but I wouldn't rate it 5/5 in Performance and Handling unless strongly taking price into account.

I'll wait for a few more reviews and maybe buy used but if coma is good this may make an amazing compact travel and astro lens.



Sep 18, 2019 at 11:56 AM
Beni
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #5 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


billsnature wrote:
Anyone compared this to 16-35 GM at 18mm? The classic expensive zoom vs cheap fixed show down. I would be especially interested in coma distortion in corners for astro.


Or the Sony Zeiss 16-35mm f4 OSS.



Sep 18, 2019 at 12:18 PM
Jonathan F
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


Beni wrote:
Or the Sony Zeiss 16-35mm f4 OSS.


I have the SZ 16-35mm f/4 lens to compare with. The 16-35mm f/4 to me exhibits better center sharpness/weaker corners and has the ability to maintain good contrast in backlit scenarios. It's been my go-to lens for wide angle work the last couple of months and I have no desire to switch to the Tamron 17-28mm 2.8, since I like having the extended zoom range.

The 18mm 2.8 seems less sharp, but sharpness is more uniform throughout the entire frame and corners look better to my eye. Contrast and saturation are lower, but I'm noticing most the Samyang glass I've used has a very neutral output, so I'm wondering if it's by design, though it's fairly easy to punch up images in post. I've also seen some CA in bright scenes, but nothing that can't be fixed. Flair is well controlled. Handling is great due to lighter weight utilizing the same fast STM motor as the 45mm. High contrast scenarios are the 18mm's biggest weakness, where it becomes harder to recover highlights.

I'd rate the 18mm around an 8/10, just be aware of it's weakness and the 45mm is like a 9/10 due to better optical performance and similar handling as a point of reference.

Overall, if someone needs a lens for specialized subjects like astrophotography, there are better lenses in the Sony lens line-up. The Samyang is more budget oriented, while providing decent performance in a small package. Hence I think this lens will be better suited for travel and street style photography, where it's less about perfect images and more about capturing the moment.

Edited on Sep 18, 2019 at 02:48 PM · View previous versions



Sep 18, 2019 at 02:41 PM
Jonathan F
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #7 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


A couple more images taken with the 18mm and A7III:


190917_SAMYANG_18_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_037 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


190917_SAMYANG_18_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_045 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


190917_SAMYANG_18_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_049 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


190917_SAMYANG_18_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_012 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


190917_SAMYANG_18_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_011 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr



Sep 18, 2019 at 02:46 PM
Beni
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


Jonathan F wrote:
I have the SZ 16-35mm f/4 lens to compare with. The 16-35mm f/4 to me exhibits better center sharpness/weaker corners and has the ability to maintain good contrast in backlit scenarios. It's been my go-to lens for wide angle work the last couple of months and I have no desire to switch to the Tamron 17-28mm 2.8, since I like having the extended zoom range.

The 18mm 2.8 seems less sharp, but sharpness is more uniform throughout the entire frame and corners look better to my eye. Contrast and saturation are lower, but I'm noticing most the Samyang glass
...Show more →

Thank you for the comparison!



Sep 18, 2019 at 11:44 PM
AaronfromOZ
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #9 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


Hi guys
I dont think there is much out there in terms of reviews for this lens so I thought posting our review here might be helpful to someone.



Not in depth but hitting the major point I believe mot people will be interested in.



Sep 19, 2019 at 12:01 AM
Jonathan F
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #10 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


I think I'm getting a better feel for this lens now, the more I like it!

Samyang 18mm 2.8 + A7III:

Samyang 18mm 2.8 FE Lens for Sony Samples by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


Samyang 18mm 2.8 FE Lens for Sony Samples by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


Samyang 18mm 2.8 FE Lens for Sony Samples by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Stopped down to f/5.6, the sharpness really starts to bite:

Samyang 18mm 2.8 FE Lens for Sony Samples by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr



Sep 19, 2019 at 09:00 AM
scalanc2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #11 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


These images cannot be seen in full resolution ?


Sep 19, 2019 at 09:03 AM
Beni
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #12 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


Jonathan F wrote:
I think I'm getting a better feel for this lens now, the more I like it!

Samyang 18mm 2.8 + A7III:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48757633891_07f509cf92_b.jpg
Samyang 18mm 2.8 FE Lens for Sony Samples by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48757846172_9023467e3d_b.jpg
Samyang 18mm 2.8 FE Lens for Sony Samples by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48757651386_a81ce94dc3_b.jpg
Samyang 18mm 2.8 FE Lens for Sony Samples by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Stopped down to f/5.6, the sharpness really starts to bite:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48757322418_f04432c7ac_b.jpg
Samyang 18mm 2.8 FE Lens for Sony Samples by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr


Jonathan, is the washed out saturation and contrast the lens or your processing? They have the look of 1940-60's lenses.



Sep 19, 2019 at 09:22 AM
bluloo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #13 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


Beni wrote:
Jonathan, is the washed out saturation and contrast the lens or your processing? They have the look of 1940-60's lenses.



I immediately noticed that too, and assumed it was a processing choice/preset, particularly because it's so pronounced.

I dig the look.



Sep 19, 2019 at 09:51 AM
admiralburns
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #14 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


I’m simply waiting on the facts regarding the upcoming three Tamron primes before I pull the trigger on this.


Sep 19, 2019 at 09:51 AM
Jonathan F
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #15 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


Beni wrote:
Jonathan, is the washed out saturation and contrast the lens or your processing? They have the look of 1940-60's lenses.


bluloo wrote:
I immediately noticed that too, and assumed it was a processing choice/preset, particularly because it's so pronounced.

I dig the look.


Yeah it's my raw custom preset or I guess my signature look. I don't see the point posting unprocessed photos, rather what's achievable. I honestly can't stand looking at unedited raws since most of them just look very plain and washed out!

scalanc2 wrote:
These images cannot be seen in full resolution ?


Feel free to PM me and I can send you a higher res link to examine.



Sep 19, 2019 at 10:04 AM
eke2k6
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #16 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


Latest review of the lens by Christopher Frost, with useful examples. I just shot my first wedding with it this weekend, and I'm highly impressed.




Sep 30, 2019 at 12:45 PM
Dultimate
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #17 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


Sounds like Rokinon/Samyang has another winner. I'm eager to add a decent wide angle to my bag for an upcoming trip but I can't find this anywhere for sale yet.


Sep 30, 2019 at 01:12 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #18 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


I passed on it and bought the Batis 18 again. Did not feel comfortable on this one. But hope it works for folks


Sep 30, 2019 at 04:02 PM
flilow06
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #19 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


Yea, might be silly but the 58mm filter size makes this a hard buy for me. I think I'm going to hold out until the Tammy 20/2.8 drops, hopefully not too far into 2020..


Sep 30, 2019 at 04:57 PM
knshshnk
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #20 · Samyang AF 18/2.8 FE officially announced


hope it doesn't take a whole year to normalize the supply


Sep 30, 2019 at 05:30 PM
1       2       3              5       …       8       9       end




FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       …       8       9       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account