Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2019 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

There is a way to re-install the Output tab into the latest versions of Bridge. I can't remember off the top of my head right now how to do it, plus I've been traveling a lot in the last couple of weeks. I remember having to figure that out. And for me and my clients, the reason for generating html galleries is to make it really easy (Ctrl-click) for clients to download for fpo use. When I get back in the studio on Tuesday, I'll see if I can re-figure out how to do that. I'm pretty sure that on the last update to Bridge, it automatically kept the output tab. It's not the only way to do these, but for me, it's the easiest and fastest way. I can typically make a quick gallery and have it uploaded in a matter of about two or three minutes.

Sep 01, 2019 at 03:03 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

I'd rather slit my own throat than use Bridge.

Sep 01, 2019 at 06:55 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

Nobody wants that dude and no one is forcing anything on you, but it's abundantly clear that a lot of folks are confused about what Bridge is and what it is and is not capable of doing.

Sep 01, 2019 at 07:59 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

Peter Figen wrote:
I think that there are a lot of misunderstanding here about what Bridge is and is not. Bridge was originally designed, believe it or not as a BRIDGE between apps, hence the name.

Exactly ... Bridge began as a file browser for almost any file you can store on computer based media. Where Lightroom began as a DAM for camera generated still image files.

Both offer many advantages and limitations for end users, though, isn't it wonderful we have choices and are not forced into one particular solution?

Sep 02, 2019 at 09:06 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

Mr Mouse wrote:
I do not install Lightroom it does not support layered photoshop documents without layer support how can one combine and composite images together. Lightroom is only good for cataloging and developing camera image files IMO.

One method is not 'better' than the other when it comes to Bridge vs Lightroom, they both offer very similar functionality ... but it helps no one to perpetuate false narratives about any of the tools involved in this discussion.

Bridge doesn't support layered photoshop documents in the you manner you suggest either. Lightroom is also 'good' for cataloging any images processed in Photoshop. There is no need to think PSD and TIFF created in Photoshop files can't benefit from inclusion into a Lr catalog. Layers or not.

Neither Bridge/ACR or Lightroom are pixel editors like Photoshop. No one would expect them to 'support' working with layers like Ps can.

Thousands, upon thousands of Lightroom users create composite images in Photoshop daily without suffering any undue stress or ill side effects. That's specifically why Lightroom has the 'Edit in' menu command to take users to the apps and plugins that they prefer for further editing beyond what is offered in the Develop module (Keeping in mind, the Develop module is the same exact code as the ACR plugin for Photoshop) ... just like going from Bridge to ACR then to Photoshop. The tools are exactly the same in function, merely a difference in form as to how they are displayed to the user.

Sep 02, 2019 at 09:22 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

Yes. The version associated with CS6 stopped working to batch process and save images on the hard drive two years ago, but I found a workaround online that you have to set the date back manually. This allows to use the Bridge as usual, but the saved photos will all have a date from 2016 (not a biggie for me).

This is the main purpose for what I am using Bridge for - to save higher MB TIFF files in a batch as compressed JPG files in a different directory to upload the compressed files on my website.

Sep 05, 2019 at 07:49 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

I've continued to use Bridge all along, even after LR was introduced.

Bridge/ACR now includes many of the same tools that are found in LR, and it provides a pretty seamless workflow for bringing converted raw files into Photoshop... and back and forth between them if you use smart layers.

Edited on Sep 08, 2019 at 10:43 PM · View previous versions

Sep 06, 2019 at 11:04 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

Bridge is one of the most misunderstood and underappreciated apps in Adobe's suite. I use it all the time.

Sep 07, 2019 at 12:16 PM
pchaplo
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

+10 Bridge and ACR. Its how I make a living. Perhaps for portraits and fashion, there is something better, but I'm more industrial. Also, the images for both of my books of aerial photography were all processed using Bridge + ACR > Photoshop.

Sep 08, 2019 at 02:17 PM
designdog
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

I also use Bridge/ACR/PS. Never liked Lightroom.

Biggest drawback of Bridge (to me) is lack of dual monitor support.

One interesting plus: when you open an image in ACR from Bridge, and choose Adobe’s enhanced feature, you can directly open the image to Photoshop. When you choose enhanced in Lightroom, you have to go back to the Library window and select the enhanced file to work on it...

Sep 12, 2019 at 03:40 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

designdog wrote:
I also use Bridge/ACR/PS. Never liked Lightroom.

Biggest drawback of Bridge (to me) is lack of dual monitor support.

One interesting plus: when you open an image in ACR from Bridge, and choose Adobe’s enhanced feature, you can directly open the image to Photoshop. When you choose enhanced in Lightroom, you have to go back to the Library window and select the enhanced file to work on it...

Even better, open those ACR/Bridge-processed images into photoshop as "smart objects." In this way you retain full backward compatibility with the raw file — you can double click its icon in Photoshop and re-open in ACR to update your ACR edits. In this way I can make virtually of of my edits non-destructive. Using various masking functions in ACR you can apply all of its modifications selectively to various areas of the image.

I don't think enough people understand how powerful this is.

Sep 13, 2019 at 02:00 PM
Nick Birkett
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

Peter Figen wrote:
There is a way to re-install the Output tab into the latest versions of Bridge. I can't remember off the top of my head right now how to do it, plus I've been traveling a lot in the last couple of weeks. I remember having to figure that out. And for me and my clients, the reason for generating html galleries is to make it really easy (Ctrl-click) for clients to download for fpo use. When I get back in the studio on Tuesday, I'll see if I can re-figure out how to do that. I'm pretty sure that
...Show more

Adobe says that you can only install the output tab in version CC 2017 and earlier. For 2018 and later, they say:
Adobe Output Module for Bridge CC 2018 version 8.0 Beginning with the October 2017 release of Bridge CC, the following updates have been made:

1. A new Output workspace has been introduced to generate PDF contact sheet natively in Bridge. You don't need to install Adobe Output Module separately. For help documentation, see Create a PDF contact sheet in Output workspace.
  2. The Adobe Output Module (AOM) plug-in (explained in this article) is no longer supported and the functionality to create web galleries has been discontinued in the latest version of Bridge.
  3. The Adobe Output Module (AOM) plug-in works only with Bridge CC 2017 (version 7.0) and earlier releases. You can download the appropriate AOM file using the links provided in this article.

URL: https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/bridge/kb/install-output-module-bridge-cc.html

Sep 13, 2019 at 03:00 PM
designdog
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

I should add that when Bridge frustrates me, Fast Raw Viewer is a great alternative...

Sep 14, 2019 at 07:49 AM
Coltrane
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

I have absolutely no use for lightroom. It's bridge all the way for me.

Sep 29, 2019 at 02:44 PM
Tmuussoni
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

Yeah I am also all in for ACR + Bridge + Photoshop. Have been doing that for many years before LR came out.

Wish my Adobe subscription would have the option to leave out LR to save some money. But of course it is not possible.

Oct 12, 2019 at 09:53 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

I often want to compare multiple images shot in succession and Bridge is terrible for this. I got the free Faststone Image Viewer and of all the many I have used over the years this one is by far the best. I made a $15 donation and it was money well spent.

After Adobe cancelled service for the entire country of Venezuela I decided to cancel my Adobe Cloud subscriptions. I only use PS CC for quick and dirty anyways and have a enterprise site license for CS6 for my company.

Oct 13, 2019 at 02:14 PM
AceCo55

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

elkhornsun wrote:
I often want to compare multiple images shot in succession and Bridge is terrible for this. I got the free Faststone Image Viewer and of all the many I have used over the years this one is by far the best. .....

Would you mind sharing what Faststone Image Viewer does, that Bridge doesn't, that allows you to compare shots?

Oct 14, 2019 at 11:53 AM
Alistair Watson
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

Peter Figen wrote:
Bridge is one of the best things Adobe ever came up with. It's exactly what it says it is - a Bridge between different apps, Adobe's and others too. I always have Bridge open and pointed to the folder of images I'm working on. So easy to choose multiple images to open at once. The Output tab provides a great way to make html web galleries for clients. The easiest path to PhotoMerge. And you can have multiple Bridge windows open pointed to different folders, making it even faster and easier to jump back and forth. Of course, like
...Show more

Couldn't agree more!

Nov 04, 2019 at 03:12 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

elkhornsun wrote:
I often want to compare multiple images shot in succession and Bridge is terrible for this. I got the free Faststone Image Viewer and of all the many I have used over the years this one is by far the best. I made a $15 donation and it was money well spent.

After Adobe cancelled service for the entire country of Venezuela I decided to cancel my Adobe Cloud subscriptions. I only use PS CC for quick and dirty anyways and have a enterprise site license for CS6 for my company.

Ctrl B

Nov 05, 2019 at 12:33 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Adobe Bridge do you still use it?

Beni wrote:
Ctrl B

+1 for Ctrl B, though I mostly use space bar + arrow key to step through full screen previews.

Nov 05, 2019 at 06:09 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.