New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2019 · California Girls

bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · California Girls

Congratulations to bobbytan for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 11 votes - View Previous Winners

A collection of some of my older photos when I did quite a bit of portrait shoots.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:50 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · California Girls

2nd set ...

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:53 AM
film_4ever
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · California Girls

Excellent images. You're as good with human subjects as you are with nature!

Thanks for sharing.

Aug 19, 2019 at 11:09 AM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · California Girls

How many art forms have you mastered?
These are awesome. Voted

Aug 19, 2019 at 11:11 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · California Girls

Thank you, guys! What can I say? Photographing beautiful women is not much different to photographing beautiful birds! The rules of good composition and good technique still apply, no matter the subject matter.

Aug 19, 2019 at 11:38 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · California Girls

Not sure if you want C&C, but I will say that a couple of these are quite nice and stand H&S above the rest.

As for the others, a bit more attention to detail in the shooting and PP would have gone a long way to improve them.

I would be happy to itemize what I am referring to if you like.

greg

Aug 20, 2019 at 03:27 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · California Girls

These are ALL technically and visually perfect Bobby! Their beauty is just exemplified by your wonderful compositions! They just jump out to me! You don't have to say anything but "THANKS"! We thank YOU for allowing us to view these gems!!! Breathless!
WOW!! Just stunning.....
Dan

Aug 20, 2019 at 09:34 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · California Girls

Thanks Greg ... and yes, I would welcome your C&C!

gheller wrote:
Not sure if you want C&C, but I will say that a couple of these are quite nice and stand H&S above the rest.

As for the others, a bit more attention to detail in the shooting and PP would have gone a long way to improve them.

I would be happy to itemize what I am referring to if you like.

greg

Aug 20, 2019 at 09:49 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · California Girls

Thank you, Dan!

Danpbphoto wrote:
These are ALL technically and visually perfect Bobby! Their beauty is just exemplified by your wonderful compositions! They just jump out to me! You don't have to say anything but "THANKS"! We thank YOU for allowing us to view these gems!!! Breathless!
WOW!! Just stunning.....
Dan

Aug 20, 2019 at 09:50 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · California Girls

Ok, Bobby... here is my take on the set:

(1) Possibly the best of the set. May seem silly, but my favorite part of this is the fact that her forearm is in line with the light pattern in the background. Shows exceptional attention to detail. May have liked to see more space camera right rather than a square crop, but stands brilliantly as is.

(2) Possibly my least favorite of the set. Her hair is a mess as is her shirt. Cliche pose and dated background makes this look like an "outtake" that should have not been even shown here.

(3) Quite nice. My eyes are suggesting that the color balance is a bit off...perhaps too cyan or green. Again, a wider crop camera right may have helped - I suggest you get away from square crops from time to time as the image dictates.

(4) Really nice. Perhaps a bit too hot on the earring, but that is a nit-pic. I really like this one.

(5) Just meh. Close crop for no apparent reason. Dead eyes even though I see a hint of a catch-light. Not bad, not great...

(6) Not a fan of the pose (cliche hand position and cut off hand). Hair is a train wreck and background looks like a junior high school yearbook.

(7) Good. I like this one. I would play around with the crop, as it looks a bit awkward cut thru her upper arm. Nice as is, though.

(8) This one is *almost* epic. Perfect pose and crop. The pearls that separate as they approach her hair destroys this one for me. Also, her lipstick needs to be fresh and bright. Looks as if she has been wearing it all day (faded and cracks in her lips). Perhaps some PS could help.

(9) Exactly like (5). Background way too bright.

(10) I see what you were going for, but the pose is a bit too contrived for the lighting. Too hot on her left upper arm and that black mass is distracting. Could work with a much better lighting setup.

(11) Love this one. Light, exposure and PP is spot on. Brilliant colors.

(12) Just ok, probably wouldn't include in the set. Awkward hand position, lack of attention to detail (hair, bright spot on wood, etc) take away from the image. Also, she is looking *barely* off camera. Either in camera or more away would have saved this image.

(13) Great! Maybe even better than (11).

(14) ACK! Just no. Terribly contrived pose, cliche hand position and very unflattering lighting / outfit / background. She looks utterly bored out of her mind.

(15) Not feeling this one at all. Her expression kills it. Like she is thinking, "Smile? Like this?" Necklace off center, armpit folds, non-complimentary background color, etc.

(16) Just find no purpose in the pose, prop (eye-wear), background paper flames (?)

Anyway, sorry if a bit harsh. Some amazing images here that should have been shown without the others IMO.

HTH

greg

Aug 20, 2019 at 01:12 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · California Girls

Greg ... I really appreciate your comments and I think most of them are spot-on! So, thanks! To be perfectly honest, I didn't think that they are all very good, and they were shot a long time ago. I have gotten much better over the years but I don't shoot portrait these days - except portraits of indigenous people on my travels to Myanmar, etc.

Aug 20, 2019 at 02:17 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · California Girls

Nice all, 8 and 10 are splendid

Aug 20, 2019 at 06:33 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · California Girls

Thank you, Charles!

Charles Loy wrote:
Nice all, 8 and 10 are splendid

Aug 20, 2019 at 10:33 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · California Girls

Interesting lighting, especially for #2 photo. Can you address that? Also which lens used for portraits? mid-range M.Zuiko or Tamron?

Aug 21, 2019 at 06:58 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · California Girls

dalite wrote:
Interesting lighting, especially for #2 photo. Can you address that? Also which lens used for portraits? mid-range M.Zuiko or Tamron?

Hi. All the shots here were made with a Canon 5D II and most of them with the 85/1.2L II lens. Lit with 2 strobes with a beauty dish attached. Not sure if I had used a filter to cause the blue cast - but I am not happy about the light spill on her face. And Greg is absolutely right about her hair and clothing being a complete mess - I should have addressed both issues. I did have a fan blowing towards her hair. I probably have some better ones but I really like her expression in this shot. Here's a few other takes of her.

Aug 22, 2019 at 10:04 AM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · California Girls

bobbytan wrote:
Thank you, guys! What can I say? Photographing beautiful women is not much different to photographing beautiful birds! The rules of good composition and good technique still apply, no matter the subject matter.

That’s not true...., you tell a bird, a bear or a fox to STAY, and it usually runs away!!
I tell a girl to STAY, and she STAYS !!!!! 😂
I can’t even get my dog to stay! LoL
Excellent shots!!! All of them. I’m not picky, I like them ALL! Excellent work and beautiful women, as Cali is known to have!!!🙏👍🙏
John

Aug 22, 2019 at 03:50 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · California Girls

JohnSil wrote:
That’s not true...., you tell a bird, a bear or a fox to STAY, and it usually runs away!!
I tell a girl to STAY, and she STAYS !!!!! 😂
I can’t even get my dog to stay! LoL
Excellent shots!!! All of them. I’m not picky, I like them ALL! Excellent work and beautiful women, as Cali is known to have!!!🙏👍🙏
John

Thank you, John! I am a bird and animal whisperer! Don't believe me?
If you tell your cat to "stay" will it stay? Probably not! Well ... I can do it with my 2 cats!

Aug 22, 2019 at 05:11 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · California Girls

Thank you, Adam! #1 and #7 are my personal favorites. I like the pose as it screams attitude and confidence.

adamsmith11 wrote:
first impression is the last impression, first image is awesome...

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:12 AM
bcguy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · California Girls

bobbytan wrote:

Besides the required social skills and mastery of artificial lighting, I guess that's correct. Your modesty is admirable. Great work!

Aug 23, 2019 at 02:33 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · California Girls

Thank you BC guy!

bcguy wrote:
Besides the required social skills and mastery of artificial lighting, I guess that's correct. Your modesty is admirable. Great work!

Aug 23, 2019 at 03:13 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.