New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Siesta Time

bnfotografie
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Siesta Time

Congratulations to bnfotografie for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 5 votes - View Previous Winners

I was walking along the boardwalk near Percival Landing in Olympia, WA, and came across this trio completely zonked out in mid-afternoon. I shot one quick frame as I passed them and they never stirred.

Zonked

Aug 01, 2019 at 05:09 PM
bnfotografie
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Siesta Time

Well, I guess not one they could carry with them.

adamsmith11 wrote:
they have no bed for sleep.

Aug 02, 2019 at 08:40 AM
404UserNotFoun

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Siesta Time

AS a new parent, I can totally relate to this. Hilarious!

Aug 02, 2019 at 09:00 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Siesta Time

...great catch Brent!!!!! You indeed caught them unaware!
Dan

Aug 02, 2019 at 10:26 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Siesta Time

Sometimes I wonder if it is OK to photograph strangers (especially in such "poses") without their knowledge or assent and viewed by the public at large. Not trying to stir up trouble, but I see on TV news lots of images where people's faces are intentionally blurred out for legal or ethical reasons. Just a cautionary comment.

If you look at my posted photo of a friend in the Nature and Wildlife forum ("Tidepool") you will notice that his face is not visible. If it was visible I would never post his photo.

Aug 03, 2019 at 05:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bnfotografie
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Siesta Time

dalite wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if it is OK to photograph strangers (especially in such "poses") without their knowledge or assent and viewed by the public at large. Not trying to stir up trouble, but I see on TV news lots of images where people's faces are intentionally blurred out for legal or ethical reasons. Just a cautionary comment.

If you look at my posted photo of a friend in the Nature and Wildlife forum ("Tidepool") you will notice that his face is not visible. If it was visible I would never post his photo.

If one thinks it's unethical to photograph people in public and show their faces, then I would encourage them not to do it. The rule of law, however, is that people in public spaces are fair game because there is no expectation of privacy. Street photography is a widely accepted genre, going back to Henri Cartier-Bresson and a host of other well known greats. Can you imagine the loss of impact if his photos never showed faces? I think your point is rather naive and very much against the accepted norm in this business. Sometimes people have faces blurred in TV news stories because they are crime victims or have been arrested but not charged. In those cases it's for their own protection. I doubt anyone would try to argue that showing people sleeping on a public bench harms their reputation in any way.

Aug 03, 2019 at 07:31 PM
Anitajo24
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Siesta Time

Glad you are aware of the law and business practice but for me it would have been a bit more charming photo if you spoke with them and got permission before it was posted. Just my opinion. It is a fantastic shot. I would have been uncomfortable taking it. Just my opinion. Great shot, though. So many fantastic details.

I only wish the manís foot was against the stroller wheel and would have been woken if it moved. The details are amazing. The joined stacked hats, the non-foot stopping the stroller, the water bottles in the carriage, the knapsack with all the essentials, the suspicious marks on the skin of his shin, the hand on her stomach...just great.

I voted for this photo.

:-)

Aug 03, 2019 at 08:05 PM
bnfotografie
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Siesta Time

Thanks, I appreciate that. One thing about waking them is that I'd have disturbed their nap, which wouldn't have been nice. Also, I had no idea at the time whether it would be worth posting.

Aug 03, 2019 at 08:41 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Siesta Time

Some of the greatest photographs to have ever been made by great photogrpahers like Winogrand, Bresson, Robert Frank, Eliott Erwitt, Meyerowitz, Helen Levitt and many others; if they would have broke the decisive moment and asked, would have never been created. Thank God that in the US if someone is in a public space they have no responable right to privacy therefore anyone that is in a public place are all legal to photograph.

Aug 11, 2019 at 09:20 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password