Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2018 · Fire Lines

Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fire Lines

Congratulations to Mark Metternich for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 10 votes - View Previous Winners

Maybe the most radical linear perspective/leading line I have ever shot in landscape, certainly my favorite. On this day we chased a massive thunder cell to the location.  

Details for the more inquisitive below.

Thank you for looking! 

Great light to you! 

Fire Lines

Nov 13, 2018 at 01:48 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fire Lines

Details for the more inquisitive:

Sony A7R2
f/14
0.4 (and an image 1 stop brighter for shadows)
ISO 100
Canon [email protected]
Two shots for the dynamic range

One of the best displays of saturated, light I have ever seen here in maybe 100 trips.  

The main shot was processed to near completion in Lightroom. Everything was good from the hottest highlights almost all the way down to the shadows. The deep shadows had a little bit too much noise for my taste, so I took the exposure bracketed (auto) longer exposure and applied all the same settings to the Raw File but then matched the luminance of the original file. Then in Photoshop Smart Object Layers using the Layer Style Blending or "Blend If" sliders in Photoshop (arguably the most powerful yet underutilized tools in all of Photoshop!), I allowed the cleaner shadows to graduate into the shadows of the original file until they were clean. 

Of course, various very subtle fine-tuning and corrections were applied until nothing bugged me about the image. When teaching I call this "knocking down the worse offender" until there is nothing left in the image that bugs you. Over the last 2 or so years, I have really been noticing how some of the very smallest, most subtle stuff (like eliminating lots of extremely minute distracting elements and specks...) or very, very subtle advanced dodging and burning techniques, or sponging... can really make an image improve over its original representation. For me, it is about keeping the techniques as subtle as possible but the build-up of nitpicking the image to death ends of making a better cleaner representation. I show this in all my classes and people are usually amazed at how such extremely small things can add up. 

*BTW, some super cool announcements are coming out for those who follow me on Facebook or my newsletter!  And I just put a FREE post-processing video tutorial on my YouTube Page.  

All the best to you, and great light to you! 

Edited on Nov 13, 2018 at 01:52 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2018 at 01:48 PM
01Ryan10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fire Lines

That is a sweet image. You are fortunate to be able to chase light and search for wonderful comps.

Nov 13, 2018 at 01:51 PM
prefrosh01

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fire Lines

Stunning image!

I am really drawn into it by the leading line and the colors work fantastically together!

Nov 13, 2018 at 02:05 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fire Lines

Beautiful image. Very well processed. The 11-24 is really something.

Nov 13, 2018 at 02:18 PM
Mr.Gale
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fire Lines

Very nice, Mark. Your post processing skills are excellent!

Mr.Gale

Nov 13, 2018 at 04:55 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fire Lines

Brilliant image, Mark!

Nov 13, 2018 at 05:19 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fire Lines

Tres bien!

Nov 13, 2018 at 07:53 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fire Lines

I love this window into nature Mark. Brilliant composition and masterfully processed. Really excellent work!

Kirk

Nov 13, 2018 at 11:34 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fire Lines

Awesome shot. Certainly print worthy

Nov 13, 2018 at 11:49 PM
zurura
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fire Lines

Fantastic image Mark. Absolutely loved the composition, the lines and the light in the scene.

Also, thanks for the detailed write-ups that you put.

Cheers,
Gautam

Nov 14, 2018 at 12:37 AM
1bwana1
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fire Lines

Stunning Mark. Your workshop participants a very fortunate to have someone who works so hard to put them in position to experience such conditions.

Congratulations,

Steve

Nov 14, 2018 at 01:23 AM
guidostow
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fire Lines

Bravo! Masterful work as usual!

Nov 14, 2018 at 06:30 AM
arjen_m

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fire Lines

Lovely image. Would love to attend one of your workshops. Any chance that you are doing workshops
on the East coast?

Nov 14, 2018 at 08:00 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fire Lines

Excellent work and always helpful information. Thanks, Mark.

Nov 14, 2018 at 08:52 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fire Lines

arjen_m wrote:
Lovely image. Would love to attend one of your workshops. Any chance that you are doing workshops on the East coast?

Hi Arjen.

Thank you very much and thank you for asking.

Yes, I live in Florida now and this year we are going to have several workshops on the East Coast! I am so excited!

1. "Seascapes and Post-Processing" (3 Day) - we may end up having two of these between now and May when I start my heavy Workshop season (May through November). We will have these in Florida and maybe South Carolina or more. Dates are to be decided very soon!

Because the demand is so big, I am also going to do one or two 6-hour:

2. Post-Processing Classes via group Skype screen sharing.

Basically, we do 2 hours, take a break, do 2 hours, take a lunch, then do the last 2 hours. Before the class, I send out a document entitled "Fundamental Keys to Mastering Post-Processing Workflow" (which is pretty exhaustive in its breakdown of everything a person would want or need to learn if they wanted to truly master post-processing workflow) and clients get to pick and choose what they want and need to learn the most! NOTHING is off limits.

I also video record all of the lessons/content so you can review the content as much as you would like later. I give this to all attendees for FREE!

All of this is on my website here:

WEBSITE

And you will get announcements (and a lot of valuable FREEBIES) if you join my mailing list below.

BTW, I try to give people something of real value almost every time I send out the newsletter.

NEWSLETTER

Please let me know if you have any questions! I am here to serve.

You or anyone can PM me or email me at: [email protected]

Edited on Nov 16, 2018 at 01:25 PM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2018 at 07:28 PM
steve g
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fire Lines

Poetry in a kind of motion.

Really amazing shot and exquisitely processed.

Nov 14, 2018 at 07:44 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fire Lines

lovely shot Mark

Nov 16, 2018 at 03:13 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fire Lines

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate it.

01Ryan10 wrote:
That is a sweet image. You are fortunate to be able to chase light and search for wonderful comps.

Thank you very much.

Very fortunate. For almost over a decade I have been able to roam the planet doing this full time. Sometimes I can not believe all that I have been able to experience in life. I am full of wonder and especially gratitude!

prefrosh01 wrote:
Stunning image!

I am really drawn into it by the leading line and the colors work fantastically together!

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment here. All the best!

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Beautiful image. Very well processed. The 11-24 is really something.

Huge thank you! This image was actually cropped to 5:4 aspect ratio too! I decided to change up from my usual 2:3... Thank you for the encouragement. And yes, that is the best lens I have ever had. I bought it when it came out some years ago and have shot over 80% of my work with it since! All the best!

Nov 16, 2018 at 12:54 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fire Lines

Spectacular Image.

Nov 16, 2018 at 03:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password