Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules · Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · #831 The First House In America to be Incandescently Illuminated

No Regrets
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #831 The First House In America to be Incandescently Illuminated

The Hearthstone Historic House Museum is a historic home in my hometown of Appleton, Wisconsin, United States that has been converted into a museum. On September 30, 1882, it became the first house in the United States to be incandescently illuminated by a hydroelectric powered Western Edison Electric Light Company dynamo power station and an Edison Electric System. At that time, the house was the residence of Henry James Rogers, a paper company executive and entrepreneur.

Image taken with my Nikon Df / Nikkor PC 28mm f3.5 combo...

Thanks for looking
Don

No Regrets 2018

The Pinnacle of Historic Technology

Sep 09, 2018 at 06:43 PM
Ayas
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #831 The First House In America to be Incandescently Illuminated

I love this Don, perfect for the subject! Love the history you provided too.

This reminded me of AC/DC and Tesla/Edison. People thought it was witchcraft when Tesla lit all those lightbulbs at once. Incandescent lighting is indeed a huge technological innovation. Hard to imagine living without it. We only really notice and appreciate it if the power goes out. Crazy to think that nowadays most of us carry a convenient light source in our pockets i.e a cell phone!

Sep 09, 2018 at 09:14 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #831 The First House In America to be Incandescently Illuminated

Thank you, Ayas! You are absolutely right. As it is the case with most of the blessings we have in life... sadly, it would seem that we really only truly appreciate them once they are gone.

It is amazing to think of all the wonderful technological innovations that have occurred throughout history. I always enjoyed talking with our grandparents about everything they had experienced in their lifetimes....having electricity in your home, having plumbing in your home, the first radio, the first television, having a telephone in your home, the Model T automobile, the first man to walk on the moon, etc... Every generation gives birth to new geniuses creating new and amazing innovations.

Best Wishes,
Don

Sep 10, 2018 at 02:14 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.