Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Rebecca - Single Speed light + Softbox

p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rebecca - Single Speed light + Softbox

Congratulations to Guest for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 11 votes - View Previous Winners

C and C are welcomed and encouraged!

Aug 15, 2018 at 07:39 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rebecca - Single Speed light + Softbox

These are nice, I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion.

I like the way you used the sun for your hair light in the first group. For the second group, it would have been nice to have another OCF set up as a hair light. Notice how there's not much separation between her hair and the background. I would have also liked to have seen a little reflector fill to reduce the lighting ratio a smidge. Finally, experiment with raising your softbox a little higher. Move the catchlight from 3 o'clock to 2 o'clock and get a closer to a loop pattern.

One last thing, watch for undergarments showing.

Aug 15, 2018 at 09:12 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rebecca - Single Speed light + Softbox

I would have liked to see her eyes looking off camera in some in some of the photos. One thing to be aware of is that looking out of the corner of the eyes will occasionally result in too much white on one side and no white on the other, which can look a little weird. Not to say that these photos are bad, but just something to be aware of.

Nice job!

Aug 15, 2018 at 04:27 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rebecca - Single Speed light + Softbox

story_teller wrote:
I would have liked to see her eyes looking off camera in some in some of the photos. One thing to be aware of is that looking out of the corner of the eyes will occasionally result in too much white on one side and no white on the other, which can look a little weird. Not to say that these photos are bad, but just something to be aware of.

Nice job!

There’s an old pro trick to get your subject to”almost” look at the camera. Less whites, but they look like they are looking at the camera.

Aug 15, 2018 at 05:30 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rebecca - Single Speed light + Softbox

I love everything about these except the shoes. Great backdrops, model, expressions, and lighting.

Aug 15, 2018 at 06:21 PM
Adam_A
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rebecca - Single Speed light + Softbox

I've become much less critical with time and am much more accepting of images in general. So, I'll let others offer their detailed critiques. I for one like each and every shot here. If I had to nit pick, I'd agree that there isn't enough separation on a couple of shots toward the end...but it ain't no deal breaker for me.

Looks like you took a lot of shots and I'm sure there must be several more to choose from.

Adam

Aug 16, 2018 at 09:00 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rebecca - Single Speed light + Softbox

Nice work for single light on-camera Matthew, but you can get much more creative by getting the flash off-camera!
Douglas

Aug 22, 2018 at 08:55 PM

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rebecca - Single Speed light + Softbox

douter wrote:
Nice work for single light on-camera Matthew, but you can get much more creative by getting the flash off-camera!
Douglas

Thank you for your reply. However, the flash was off camera!

Aug 23, 2018 at 02:14 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rebecca - Single Speed light + Softbox

Heh Matt! I just saw your thread. I am not close to being a good portrait shooter so my comments come as an observer.
I do not find much conflicting, if at all, in the images. She is a beautiful young woman who is made for the camera. Lighting for portrait shooting is becoming an art. There are many fine portrait members here and I am sure all will chime in.
Shooting from 1 side and frontal does have its challenges. I think you did extremely well here. There is a very small nit for me in that some of her skin tone on face and arms flask with her midriff. But not anything terrible.
Let's see more please!
Dan
PS Evan Baines is a master of portrait shooting here. Seek out his input.

Aug 23, 2018 at 08:40 AM
muralis08

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rebecca - Single Speed light + Softbox

May I know the lens details, please . great shots

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:55 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.