Thern wrote:
I used to shoot the Metz MZ-5 it’s powerfull and if you ever buy into another system all you have to buy is a new SCA adapter.
Nonetheless I traded it for the Nissin Extreme MG8000.
The Nissin is powerfull (40m iso100 35mm) but allso it’s designed for continuous shooting while never overheating.
It’s an on camera flash and lets you do everything a SB900 does, really I-TTL compatible.
Firmware is upgradeable and it takes canon,nikon and nissin external powerpacks
Thanks for the reco - I am not super in love with Nissin flashes due to the UI, though I have been pretty impressed by the level of fit and finish (I used them when I shot Sony). I prefer hard buttons rather than a multi-controller, which I found a little fiddly to menu dive with the Nissins. Perhaps the newer models are better for that.
Right now the Metz 64 AF-1 is at the top of the list, even though it does have a touch screen UI - the overall feature set and power is very tempting.
Thern wrote:
Well the SB900 was available juli 2008.
Guess every SB800 still around is (heavily) used.
I’d buy one for a twenty.....Same I pay for a lotteryticket overhere
Yeah that was actually why I ended up going with the SB900 instead. I couldn't find a decent condition SB800 used. Most of the ones I checked out were pretty well used.
sungphoto wrote:
Thanks for the reco - I am not super in love with Nissin flashes due to the UI, though I have been pretty impressed by the level of fit and finish (I used them when I shot Sony). I prefer hard buttons rather than a multi-controller, which I found a little fiddly to menu dive with the Nissins. Perhaps the newer models are better for that.
Right now the Metz 64 AF-1 is at the top of the list, even though it does have a touch screen UI - the overall feature set and power is very tempting.
Sung I hope you’re aware of the fact the 64 meters are measured at 200mm?
The userinterface is pretty much the same like the Nissin, once used to it it’s no big deal anymore.
I like the MG8000 for its big head second flash and the fact it keeps on shooting even at full power without throttling back plus the ability to use your Nikon powerpack.
(No I have no interest in Nissin)
Thern wrote:
Sung I hope you’re aware of the fact the 64 meters are measured at 200mm?
The userinterface is pretty much the same like the Nissin, once used to it it’s no big deal anymore.
I like the MG8000 for its big head second flash and the fact it keeps on shooting even at full power without throttling back plus the ability to use your Nikon powerpack.
(No I have no interest in Nissin)
Thanks, yeah - all of the flashes in this range are more power than I need in terms of guide number, the extra power really is of course just so I'm not pushing the speedlite too much so I can keep recycle time down with heavier usage.
The main thing I don't like about the Nissin UI is that it's only a directional joystick and single button to control a lot of different functions. It looks like a great flash, but I just could never really get used to the UI when I had my Nissin.
The local Nissin distributor in the US was super nice though when I had to replace the foot (as the Sony MIS foot is so prone to breakage). From what I recall the cost of the part was super cheap and user replaceable. Thankfully don't have that issue with a Nikon/Canon foot
I picked 2 used SB 5000 flash units in great condition and I still have the SB 910/SB700. I now rarely use the SB 910/700 as the SB 5000 seem more stable in operation and exposure. Fortunately there are many used flash units in the market and of course there is always a risk but I have been fortunate.
I use Nikon SB-800 speedlights which never overheat and provide plenty of power for regular event shooting. For groups where I want more power I use the iTTL compatible Quantum Qflash. The flash tube is exposed on the Qflash and so it will not overheat. Lots of modifiers including different reflector hoods, bare bulb, collapsible umbrella like softboxes.
Quantum are designed for event shooting and also are perfect for location work where they provide a bullet-proof setup.
charles.K wrote:
I picked 2 used SB 5000 flash units in great condition and I still have the SB 910/SB700. I now rarely use the SB 910/700 as the SB 5000 seem more stable in operation and exposure. Fortunately there are many used flash units in the market and of course there is always a risk but I have been fortunate.
Hm interesting - I try to use speedlites engineered by the same maker of the camera body, as I've found that TTL metering is more consistent (I've found this with godox vs nikon and canon flashes at the very least). I'll take the SB5000 another look as well. Thanks!
elkhornsun wrote:
I use Nikon SB-800 speedlights which never overheat and provide plenty of power for regular event shooting. For groups where I want more power I use the iTTL compatible Quantum Qflash. The flash tube is exposed on the Qflash and so it will not overheat. Lots of modifiers including different reflector hoods, bare bulb, collapsible umbrella like softboxes.
Quantum are designed for event shooting and also are perfect for location work where they provide a bullet-proof setup.
I've been keeping an eye out for an SB800 the last few months and so far no dice unfortunately. I have found someone that is looking to unload their SB910 for around $200-250 though, which I might pick up once I make my decision.
I used to have the godox copy of the Q flash - the AD360 but not the TTL version, but only used it for off camera work. They're a bit more powerful than I really need for a speedlite (as the AD360 does a hotshoe mount accessory) and a bit unwieldy for event shooting.
Not sure what you are looking to spend. Average condition working ones go for $120-150 while really clean ones can be $180-230. Sometimes you can catch a good one for less if you watch closely.
sungphoto wrote:
I've been keeping an eye out for an SB800 the last few months and so far no dice unfortunately. I have found someone that is looking to unload their SB910 for around $200-250 though, which I might pick up once I make my decision.
I used to have the godox copy of the Q flash - the AD360 but not the TTL version, but only used it for off camera work. They're a bit more powerful than I really need for a speedlite (as the AD360 does a hotshoe mount accessory) and a bit unwieldy for event shooting.
jpelt78 wrote:
Have you tried eBay for the SB-800s?
Not sure what you are looking to spend. Average condition working ones go for $120-150 while really clean ones can be $180-230. Sometimes you can catch a good one for less if you watch closely.
I'd be fine paying full retail on one, but generally I like to get most of my gear used - so looking at around $200-250 for a couple.
sungphoto wrote:
Hm interesting - I try to use speedlites engineered by the same maker of the camera body, as I've found that TTL metering is more consistent (I've found this with godox vs nikon and canon flashes at the very least). I'll take the SB5000 another look as well. Thanks!
The SB 5000 units are really nice, particularly if you pick used at the right price. I also use them via IR mode for the D750 and D7200 on the same shoots. I also have found the SB5000 is more accurate and responsive in TTL exposure as compared to the SB 910.
Not requested by Sung, but SB-5000 radio control is a capability that he may find helpful. Nikon was late to this game but I like their implementation: long range, reliable, full featured, integrated with optical CLS. I expect a lot more development in this department including inbuilt radio master for the bodies and master-enabled flash units. Being able to control the flash when located around a wall, buried in a SB or perched high on a bright day is quite liberating. I see import units on eBay and have bid on a couple of used ones. I figure a couple more would make a nice location kit.
Profoto A1. They recycle faster and don't heat up as fast.
Godox V860II-Ns still heat up pretty quick, and the SB-910s are better if you're using on-camera (no AF-beam that appears in photos).
If you're interested in 2-3 SB-910s locally, let me know + I'll throw in some rechargeables as well. I replaced my Nikons+Godox/Flashpoints with Profoto A1s.
Profoto A1. They recycle faster and don't heat up as fast.
Godox V860II-Ns still heat up pretty quick, and the SB-910s are better if you're using on-camera (no AF-beam that appears in photos).
If you're interested in 2-3 SB-910s locally, let me know + I'll throw in some rechargeables as well. I replaced my Nikons+Godox/Flashpoints with Profoto A1s.
As much as I like the Profoto A1 (and the fact that I could throw it in with my standard profoto location kit as a backup light/trigger) it's hard for me to justify the price. I also am kind of on the fence on a proprietary battery pack for something like a speedlite, as I tend to prefer AA compatibility for my speedlites - though I do know that the lithium packs help with recycle and overheating.
Good to know regarding the V860ii-N. I had been pondering picking one up, but one big nitpick I've had with the Godox speedlites on-camera is the grid AF beam can be a bit off-center and a bit less dependable than the Nikon AF beam. So given that, I'll prob pass on the V860.
sungphoto wrote:
As much as I like the Profoto A1 (and the fact that I could throw it in with my standard profoto location kit as a backup light/trigger) it's hard for me to justify the price. I also am kind of on the fence on a proprietary battery pack for something like a speedlite, as I tend to prefer AA compatibility for my speedlites - though I do know that the lithium packs help with recycle and overheating.
Good to know regarding the V860ii-N. I had been pondering picking one up, but one big nitpick I've had with the Godox speedlites on-camera is the grid AF beam can be a bit off-center and a bit less dependable than the Nikon AF beam. So given that, I'll prob pass on the V860.
I'll message you about your SB910s though! Thanks...Show more →
V860II-Ns work well with the rest of the Godox/FP system (AD200 and AD600Pro would be my choices for OCF if I stuck with Godox/FP), but the AF assist beam popping up killed it. I used to do a X1T-N transmitter with SB-910 on top of camera, with V860II-Ns on light stands, and if the A1 didn't come out, I'd likely be doing the same thing with AD200s replacing the V860IIs. If going the A1 route, definitely have a spare battery for each flash and/or chargers on hand if shooting a ton of images.
MazeRunner wrote:
V860II-Ns work well with the rest of the Godox/FP system (AD200 and AD600Pro would be my choices for OCF if I stuck with Godox/FP), but the AF assist beam popping up killed it. I used to do a X1T-N transmitter with SB-910 on top of camera, with V860II-Ns on light stands, and if the A1 didn't come out, I'd likely be doing the same thing with AD200s replacing the V860IIs. If going the A1 route, definitely have a spare battery for each flash and/or chargers on hand if shooting a ton of images.
I like my Godox kit (have a couple AD200s and AD600s in addition to the TT685) but I likely won't be replacing them as they inevitably fail or get damaged. They're amazing value, but I find my profotos and in general Canon/Nikon flashes to be more reliable.
I just wish Profoto came out with something comparable in form factor and power as the AD200, but I suppose that would eat into B2 sales..
The output reaching your subjects depends on the angle of the flash and the angle of the lens. I use the Qflash when I am photographing a group of 20 or more people where I am also using a 24mm focal length.
I lose half the light output with a reflector or pass through umbrella and this also needs to be taken into account.
I do environmental and location portrait with 2 Qflash connected to a single battery pack. Fast to set up and everything fits inside a Pelican 1620 case, including the hoods and spare lamp and folding softboxes and FreeXwire RF transmitter and receivers.
elkhornsun wrote:
The output reaching your subjects depends on the angle of the flash and the angle of the lens. I use the Qflash when I am photographing a group of 20 or more people where I am also using a 24mm focal length.
I lose half the light output with a reflector or pass through umbrella and this also needs to be taken into account.
I do environmental and location portrait with 2 Qflash connected to a single battery pack. Fast to set up and everything fits inside a Pelican 1620 case, including the hoods and spare lamp and folding softboxes and FreeXwire RF transmitter and receivers. ...Show more →
I personally found the Q flash type strobes a little too fiddly (as I mentioned previously I had the godox clone of the Q flash), as I'd always worry that I brought the right connectors (as I used the battery pack for both the godox AD360 and as an external battery pack for my canon flashes), as well as the RF dongle to use it with the latest version of godox triggers. When I only need medium output strobe, the AD200 is quicker to set up, and when I need a higher output flash I either use my B1s or AD600s.