Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2018 · A funny thing happened...

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A funny thing happened...

Congratulations to friscoron for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 6 votes - View Previous Winners

... on my way to the office.

So I came to New York this weekend to photograph a wedding. I knew the YAGP Finals were this weekend in New York City -- but c'mon, who is to think that the hotel that my clients decided to use for their wedding party, and thus for me as well, would be the hotel that a lot of the YAGP Finals dancers were at? The YAGP Finals, by the way, are for the dancers who have won their YAGP region, and come from all over the world. In other words, they are the best of the best young dancers.

So when I walked into the hotel on Friday around noon and realized what was going on, I knew I had to do something. I'm a pretty introverted guy. I'm not really into just approaching people and asking if they'll do a shoot with me -- especially when they are young girls and I'm some old guy with a camera. But I knew if I didn't do anything, I wasn't going to get a shoot with these amazing dancers. So I went for it, talking to moms, and on the third one, I saw the little girl's eyes light up when I offered to do a shoot. Mom didn't want to do it. The light was perfect outside, almost sunset, in the upper 60s, absolutely perfect time to shoot. I told them to talk and I'd walk away so they could talk in private, but I did say we could do this in 15 minutes.

She came back to me, asked to see my website, so I led her to my Instagram account and fortunately, she was pretty impressed. We went out for 12 minutes onto the resort's golf course. There was a wooden bridge I really wanted to get a shot on. It was so cool working with a girl so young and talented. The following four images are what we got out of 12 minutes.

Comments always welcome.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/874/40571435935_7ff5da24cd_b.jpg

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/889/26592877407_2a9b70d333_b.jpg

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/866/41421487802_7f3ba39143_b.jpg

4. This is the shot I really wanted.
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/784/41421491602_0b5c7cc0bb_b.jpg

Edited on Apr 15, 2018 at 05:27 PM · View previous versions

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:14 AM
GoodEgg
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A funny thing happened...

Way to go, Ron! You must be walking on air. You must be as high off the sidewalk as the young lady was in #2 (my fave).

Apr 15, 2018 at 01:08 AM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A funny thing happened...

Luv it.

Number 3 is special.

Apr 15, 2018 at 04:34 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A funny thing happened...

The last seem especially good to me. The positioning on the bridge is perfect. The young lady deserves a lot of credit too.

Apr 15, 2018 at 05:27 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A funny thing happened...

Thanks, guys! I was really loving this. When they're that talented, it just makes what I do so much easier.

Apr 15, 2018 at 07:34 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A funny thing happened...

I was looking for the suspension wires Ron!!! Just kidding!! Great timing, fine images!
Dan

Apr 15, 2018 at 07:59 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A funny thing happened...

Looks like both of you have done this before

I'm amazed that it only took 20 minutes. If that were my daughter #2 and #4 would be printed large! Well, Probably all four of them but 2 and 4 are my favorites.

Great job!

Apr 15, 2018 at 08:20 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A funny thing happened...

Thanks, guys! 2 and 4 are my faves as well, although 1 and 3 aren't that far behind. It's been awhile since I've worked with a dancer that talented. By the way, just checked my times. From the first shot to the last shot was 12 minutes, and easily 6 of those minutes were wasted waiting for golfers to tee off next to the bridge.

Apr 15, 2018 at 05:26 PM
otphoto

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A funny thing happened...

Great shots and great story!

Apr 15, 2018 at 07:27 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A funny thing happened...

friscoron wrote:
Thanks, guys! 2 and 4 are my faves as well, although 1 and 3 aren't that far behind. It's been awhile since I've worked with a dancer that talented. By the way, just checked my times. From the first shot to the last shot was 12 minutes, and easily 6 of those minutes were wasted waiting for golfers to tee off next to the bridge.

That's even more amazing and shows just how talented you both are.

By the way, my 9 year old ballerina loves the shots too. She knew about YAGP but I did not. We spent a little time together watching some of the YAGP videos on YouTube today. She says she will be going to compete .

Marty

Apr 15, 2018 at 08:58 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A funny thing happened...

otphoto wrote:
Great shots and great story!

Thanks so much!

Apr 15, 2018 at 09:50 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A funny thing happened...

That's pretty cool! The YAGP Finals are absolutely the best of the best. If you're girl works hard at it, she can do it too! (And then you'll need to let me borrow her for a photo shoot!)

Mar73 wrote:
That's even more amazing and shows just how talented you both are.

By the way, my 9 year old ballerina loves the shots too. She knew about YAGP but I did not. We spent a little time together watching some of the YAGP videos on YouTube today. She says she will be going to compete .

Marty

Apr 15, 2018 at 09:51 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A funny thing happened...

Ron my friend I have always said your sense of timing was incredible and obviously I was right. These are fantastic and lucky you and lucky her. I hope there are more. Congrats buddy.

Dave

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:34 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A funny thing happened...

davenfl wrote:
Ron my friend I have always said your sense of timing was incredible and obviously I was right. These are fantastic and lucky you and lucky her. I hope there are more. Congrats buddy.

Dave

Thanks so much, Dave! Pretty fun to shoot someone this good!

Apr 16, 2018 at 06:54 AM
jwilson66

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A funny thing happened...

And her mom's reaction??

Apr 16, 2018 at 07:42 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A funny thing happened...

bravo, great stuff!

Apr 16, 2018 at 08:35 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A funny thing happened...

jwilson66 wrote:
And her mom's reaction??

Very happy with it, told me later she wished they had had more time. She's not just her mom, but her dance instructor as well.

Apr 17, 2018 at 08:25 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A funny thing happened...

Vcook wrote:
bravo, great stuff!

THanks!

Apr 17, 2018 at 08:26 AM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A funny thing happened...

Great photos of an excellent young dancer.
Voted!

Greg

Apr 17, 2018 at 01:21 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A funny thing happened...

Got to love a Great photo (set) with a great story behind it.

What was the largest size print they ordered? If it was my daughter I think I would choose a 48" of #2.

Impressive to see how much further along the Willow leaved are than locally.

Apr 18, 2018 at 03:02 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.