New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

The way Sony makes the lens collar with detachable foot on both GM lenses makes replacement foot from independent manufacturers (almost) a luxury, especially if you have to fork out $80 for that.

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:15 PM
Chuck Coyne
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

Here is another option that I've been using with my 100-400 GM. I put a Peak Design quick release plate on the 100-400 GM which weighs just 22 grams! But the real benefit is that I put a Peak Design Anchor Link on it and it makes for a great sling strap carry with any of the Peak Design straps. Pictured here I have it setup on the new Leash Strap. The weight of the zoom is supported by having one of the straps anchored to the lens and one on the camera body. With conventional straps the camera lens mount will bare the full weight of the heavy zoom lens which I never want to do. The setup can easily slip onto my RRS ball heads with an Area Swiss quick release clamp even with the strap attached if you are in a hurry.

Chuck

Edited on Aug 28, 2017 at 04:16 PM · View previous versions

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:48 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

Chuck Coyne wrote:
Here is another option that I've been using with my 100-400 GM. I put a Peak Design quick release plate on the 100-400 GM which weighs just 1.22 grams! But the real benefit is that I put a Peak Design Anchor Link on it and it makes for a great sling strap carry with any of the Peak Design straps. Pictured here I have it setup on the new Leash Strap. The weight of the zoom is supported by having one of the straps anchored to the lens and one on the camera body. With conventional straps the camera
...Show more

Chuck, is this what you have?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1169303-REG/peak_design_sll_1_slide_camera_sling_strap_lite.html

Are you sure the quick release place weighs 1.22 grams? Perhaps 22 grams?

Aug 28, 2017 at 01:34 PM
Chuck Coyne
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

Fred Miranda wrote:
Chuck, is this what you have?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1169303-REG/peak_design_sll_1_slide_camera_sling_strap_lite.html

Are you sure the quick release place weighs 1.22 grams? Perhaps 22 grams?

Fred,
Yes that is one of the straps that I have which includes a Standard Plate (yes weight is 22 grams not 1.2 sorry). I also have the smaller Leash strap (pictured in my post above) and the Peak Design Capture Clip that I use on my belt or backpack shoulder strap to carry a camera and lens while hiking.

Here is a link to the specs on the Peak Design website:

https://support.peakdesign.com/hc/en-us/articles/201291383-Whats-the-difference-between-each-of-Peak-Design-s-plates-

Chuck

Aug 28, 2017 at 02:19 PM
scrappydog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

Fred Miranda wrote:
That's exactly how I have mine set-up.
I removed the OEM foot and use my 1.5"x1.5" ($5) Arca Swiss compatible plate directly on the lens. It only weighs 10 grams (8 times less than the foot) and I have full access to all rings and buttons.

I like the Sony 100-400 design! You can't do this properly with the Canon 100-400. Two issues that I see with such a short plate is that you can't use the plate as a handle and balance would be back-heavy on a gimbal. It works though and it lowers the weight!

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:01 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

Another option I am looking at is the Joby Ultra Plate Quick Release Plate. $20. It looks bigger and sturdier (heavier too) than the Peak Design quick release plate Chuck showed and has holes to attach a strap.

Aug 28, 2017 at 05:07 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

I received the Joby Ultra Plate Quick Release Plate and now I need a strap that can run through the narrow hole (about 1/2" wide"). Do you guys have any recommendation?

Thanks,

Douglas

iPhone 7    iPhone 7 back camera 3.99mm f/1.8 lens    4mm    f/1.8    1/7s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

iPhone 7    iPhone 7 back camera 3.99mm f/1.8 lens    4mm    f/1.8    1/20s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

iPhone 7    iPhone 7 back camera 3.99mm f/1.8 lens    4mm    f/1.8    1/15s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

iPhone 7    iPhone 7 back camera 3.99mm f/1.8 lens    4mm    f/1.8    1/5s    80 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:07 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

I like to have a rail on/below the foot for a secure grip. So I often use a longer Arca plate secured to the OEM foot. I can attach a Grip handle tool When on a head I have enough travel to place the CG properly.

Sep 15, 2017 at 07:32 AM
Parariss
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

I struggle to get my left elbow tucked in hard against my rib cage to support this lens when my left hand is in a good position on the lens. It would be nice to save weight, but for me shortening the foot actually seems counterproductive to producing steady hand held shots. As a test, I've attached a table top tripod to the 100-400 and angled it down like a grip extension. My hand is off the lens altogether, but I'm able to get my left elbow in, and I seem to be a bit steadier in the viewfinder, but the setup is even heavier.

Anyone have luck with those plastic pistol grips or some other kind of lens support?

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/Photography-Cinema-pistol-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0073Z49AM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505574867&sr=8-2&keywords=Lens+pistol+grip

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:16 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

Alright, here is my setup:

1. Joby Ultra Plate Quick Release Plate. $20
2. OP/TECH USA Super Classic Strap-Uni Loop: $20

It feels secured and solid. I like it a lot. I also put a loop connector on the other side of the camera so I can easily attach both ends of the strap to the camera when I am not using the 100-400mm. The strap may be a bit short for some though.

Douglas

Sep 18, 2017 at 05:03 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

I removed the original lens foot for my GM 100-400mm lens and mounted a Arca-type lens foot, like posted here previously. While indeed the profile is lower with it but I had a tough time keeping that plate mounted on the lens collar. I used a Media Gear and generic plate for that purpose. And at the last outing it became loose that the chance of becoming loose was real. And for sure, I didn't want something like that to happen to the lens. I tightened the screw properly but I didn't want to use any loctite/

To make a long story short, I ordered a Kirk replacement foot and it was delivered today. I would say that I am pleased with the workman ship and it works and looks really great. Easily removable, just like that of the Sony. I just bought a single copy and I can interchangeably use the same on both the GM 100-400 and 70-200 lenses. It is long enough that I can easily mount a Cotton Carrier's hub and still mount it on the tripod/monopod.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:12 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

AGeoJO wrote:
I removed the original lens foot for my GM 100-400mm lens and mounted a Arca-type lens foot, like posted here previously. While indeed the profile is lower with it but I had a tough time keeping that plate mounted on the lens collar. I used a Media Gear and generic plate for that purpose. And at the last outing it became loose that the chance of becoming loose was real. And for sure, I didn't want something like that to happen to the lens. I tightened the screw properly but I didn't want to use any loctite/

To make a long
...Show more

I took my lens out last night after I installed the plate pictured above, it did come loose so I have to be very careful. The side of the plate that contacts the tripod collar has a layer of rubber on it, maybe that's why it's not tightly secured no matter how much I tighten the screw. I don't mind paying $80 for the Kirk foot but the problem is there is no place on that foot that I can attach a strap too.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:49 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

kdrk888 wrote:
I took my lens out last night after I installed the plate pictured above, it did come loose so I have to be very careful. The side of the plate that contacts the tripod collar has a layer of rubber on it, maybe that's why it's not tightly secured no matter how much I tighten the screw. I don't mind paying $80 for the Kirk foot but the problem is there is no place on that foot that I can attach a strap too.

Douglas,
There is loctite type that is not permanent but it will prevent the screw from turning. Maybe that works but still I would hate the idea of doing that for something that I want to take it on and off repeatedly. The Kirk replacement foot has 3 holes and you can use a D-ring to create something that you can connect a strap into. I use a D-ring for clicking in a quick connector since it won't fit into that slot designed more for strap. It is not ideal... but that should work.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

kdrk888 wrote:
Alright, here is my setup:

1. Joby Ultra Plate Quick Release Plate. $20
2. OP/TECH USA Super Classic Strap-Uni Loop: $20

It feels secured and solid. I like it a lot. I also put a loop connector on the other side of the camera so I can easily attach both ends of the strap to the camera when I am not using the 100-400mm. The strap may be a bit short for some though.

Douglas

I have not used the OP/TECH strap since my DSLR days. Looks great with the 100-400GM and I'm sure feels good on the shoulders too.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:35 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

AGeoJO wrote:
Douglas,
There is loctite type that is not permanent but it will prevent the screw from turning. Maybe that works but still I would hate the idea of doing that for something that I want to take it on and off repeatedly. The Kirk replacement foot has 3 holes and you can use a D-ring to create something that you can connect a strap into. I use a D-ring for clicking in a quick connector since it won't fit into that slot designed more for strap. It is not ideal... but that should work.

Thanks, Joshua. But putting a D-ring to the foot would get in the way when you want to attach the lens to a tripod, wouldn't it?

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:42 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

Fred Miranda wrote:
I have not used the OP/TECH strap since my DSLR days. Looks great with the 100-400GM and I'm sure feels good on the shoulders too.

Fred, the problem I found out is the Jody plate can't be securely attached to the lens collar. If I understand Joshua correctly, the plate (not the Kirk) he was using came loose too.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:44 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

kdrk888 wrote:
Fred, the problem I found out is the Jody plate can't be securely attached to the lens collar. If I understand Joshua correctly, the plate (not the Kirk) he was using came loose too.

Yes, unless loctite or something similar is used to secure the screw, I definitely won't feel comfortable hanging the lens that way.

kdrk888 wrote:
Thanks, Joshua. But putting a D-ring to the foot would get in the way when you want to attach the lens to a tripod, wouldn't it?

I had mine on a different plate and it is long enough to allow the clamp to fit without actuating sliding the plate from the front. But you are correct, the Kirk replacement foot is too short for that.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:03 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

To keep this thread alive.... I ordered the Kirk foot. I am thinking of drilling the small hole (for the stopper) bigger so I can run a OPTek uni loop through it. I don't think it would get in the way of using the quick release and the loop will actually work as a stopper. This is far less challenging than Guy's removing of the the pedals from his CV 15mm.

Wish Kirk's Sony foot has a hole at the end of the foot like the Kirk foot for Canon (second picture).

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:08 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

This is what I have been using for several years to carry a fairly heavy lens using a black rapid strap, double or sling. It uses the Arca-style dove tail, like the Kirk foot replacement to rapidly fasten and unfasten using the quick release clamp. It is an elegant solution and it is working under real life conditions but it adds to the cost and..... weight.

Sorry, iPad images :)

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:27 AM
Parariss
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Replacement foot Sony FE 100-400 GM Kirk

Fred Miranda wrote:
I also use this lens collapsible lens hood on my 100-400:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002K4IFY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It extends to the same length as the OEM hood but weighs 3X less.

The collapsible hood + 1.5"x1.5" plate connected directly to the lens save about 135 grams in weight!

Good call on that hood, Fred! I picked one up, and popped it on the big, white beast -- oh wait, I accidentally grabbed the 70-200GM, and the rubber hood works great for that lens, too. Seems a little shorter than the OEM hoods, but it's close enough, lighter, and reduces the travel size of the lens considerably. Thanks!

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:03 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password