There's a thread for the newer one, so how about a thread for the older version? Went through my hard drives and found these from five years ago. Kids having some summer fun at a carnival
It was my primary tele lens for wildlife till I moved on but I still used it for airshows because it was light and I was able to deal with the slow af system. I never had an issue with it producing unsharp images, I still have it sitting on a shelf but since I got a 200-500mm f5.6 it hasn't seen much use.
Well, what I said shouldn't be misquoted, as it was. I'm generally not in the habit of blaming lenses. What I said was
I never got very many good ones with that lens. Partly because I didn't know what I was doing...
Don't think I knew a thing about shooting wildlife when I owned that lens.... Which was my point.
ckcarr wrote:
Well, what I said shouldn't be misquoted, as it was. I'm generally not in the habit of blaming lenses. What I said was
Don't think I knew a thing about shooting wildlife when I owned that lens.... Which was my point.
Know what you mean. Had this lens in my early days on my D700 and made kinda OK pictures but never really WOW pictures and of course blamed the gear. Upgraded the gear over the years but also improved my skills.
That made I had this lens kinda unused for 2 years.
Last April however I decided to take this lens on a birding trip as my second lens to be used on a D500 and D4. I must say that I was really pleased with the pictures it produced in respect of sharpness, bokeh, ... This is actually a stellar lens tat makes it all that much harder if I have to select lenses again on my next safari (got bitten by the NAS virus).
Vinnie_VdB wrote:
Know what you mean. Had this lens in my early days on my D700 and made kinda OK pictures but never really WOW pictures and of course blamed the gear. Upgraded the gear over the years but also improved my skills.
That made I had this lens kinda unused for 2 years.
Last April however I decided to take this lens on a birding trip as my second lens to be used on a D500 and D4. I must say that I was really pleased with the pictures it produced in respect of sharpness, bokeh, ... This is actually a stellar lens tat makes it all that much harder if I have to select lenses again on my next safari (got bitten by the NAS virus).
The bokeh on this lens is to die for. The new one didn't disappoint either.
I only rented this version about 10 years ago on a D70. I made some of my favorite pics with it at a music festival and always dreamed of owning it. Three years ago I bought the new one and I am loving it.
It has decent contrast and colour imho. Sharpness was fine for a zoom.
Brought mine along with me on my trip to Massachusetts. While there, I finally made it out to Martha's Vineyard, and shot from the deck of the ferries.