FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Just back from the Antarctic

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just back from the Antarctic

I just spend 3 weeks in the Antarctic. Here are some early images from the far south.

Edited on Nov 12, 2016 at 12:48 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2016 at 08:11 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just back from the Antarctic

You did a wonderful job with the penguins Bob

Morris

Nov 09, 2016 at 09:55 PM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just back from the Antarctic

Terrific job.

Nov 09, 2016 at 09:58 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just back from the Antarctic

What a marvelous experience this must have been !!! Lovely shots, love the last one.

Birdie

Nov 09, 2016 at 09:59 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just back from the Antarctic

Nicely done Bob ~ Ron

Nov 09, 2016 at 10:08 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just back from the Antarctic

Excellent images! It looks like you were in South Georgia Islands, right?

Nov 09, 2016 at 11:21 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just back from the Antarctic

nice lookin set Bob

Nov 10, 2016 at 03:42 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just back from the Antarctic

Beautiful. May I ask what lenses did you find very useful there?
I will go there at the end of December and have some ideas about what to bring
but would definitely like to hear more opinions from someone who has been there.

Nov 10, 2016 at 04:49 AM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just back from the Antarctic

When we went three years ago (Falklands, South Georgia, Antarctic Penninsula) I had a Canon 7D and a 5D3 with 24-105mm f/4, 70-200mm f/2.8, and 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6. I found this to be a very good array of gear. For wide vistas, I'd use the 24-105 and shoot overlapping frames for stitching. Much of the wildlife will be amazingly close. Shooting seabirds flying behind the ship is one of the times where more reach might have been useful. Carry-on weight restrictions were a major concern for the flight down to Ushuaia. I used a large dry bag to hold my camera bag for traveling to shore in the Zodiacs. We never had too much wave splash, but I've heard of bad situations with salt water gear soakings. I could leave the dry bag and sometimes my camera bag at the landing if we were not wandering far.

HTH,
Art

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:40 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Just back from the Antarctic

Older Fossil wrote:
When we went three years ago (Falklands, South Georgia, Antarctic Penninsula) I had a Canon 7D and a 5D3 with 24-105mm f/4, 70-200mm f/2.8, and 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6. I found this to be a very good array of gear. For wide vistas, I'd use the 24-105 and shoot overlapping frames for stitching. Much of the wildlife will be amazingly close. Shooting seabirds flying behind the ship is one of the times where more reach might have been useful. Carry-on weight restrictions were a major concern for the flight down to Ushuaia. I used a large dry bag to hold my
...Show more
Thanks, Art. I was thinking along the same line and plan to bring my D810 and D500. On the long end, most likely it will be 70-200/2.8 and 500/4e FL. 500/4 is not quite 1 kg heavier than 200-500 but IQ is much nicer but without the flexibility of a zoom. I will have significant weight restriction as well as I will have to fly on a chartered flight from Puntas Arena to King George's Island at the beginning of the cruise for Antarctica Peninsula. I think I will have a duffle bag over my camera bag for zodiac ride.

Nov 10, 2016 at 05:20 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Just back from the Antarctic

morris wrote:
You did a wonderful job with the penguins Bob

Morris

Thanks, Morris

---------------------------------------------

louie champan wrote:
Terrific job.

thanks

birdied wrote:
What a marvelous experience this must have been !!! Lovely shots, love the last one.

Birdie

Birdie, you can say it again. there are people who keep coming back.

surfnron wrote:
Nicely done Bob ~ Ron

Thanks ron

AGeoJO wrote:
Excellent images! It looks like you were in South Georgia Islands, right?

You must know the place. I spend all the time in s Georgia And faulkland I.

kmunroe wrote:
nice lookin set Bob

thanks. I appreciate it.

suteetat wrote:
Beautiful. May I ask what lenses did you find very useful there?
I will go there at the end of December and have some ideas about what to bring
but would definitely like to hear more opinions from someone who has been there.

I took the 80-200 and the tripod that I never used. 80% of the time I used D500+300/f4 VR with rare occasions tc 1.4, 20% D800E+24-120. the pinguins are close, but shooting BIF from the ship is fun and the D500 was a joy. I had the 200-500 that I didn't take with me and I was right. The 300 f4 was great with the D500. I didn't have a dry bag but did have a kitchen bag, that I never needed. Many had dry bags that were so heavy and cumbersome.
Hope this helps. Pack light and Have fun.

Older Fossil wrote:
When we went three years ago (Falklands, South Georgia, Antarctic Penninsula) I had a Canon 7D and a 5D3 with 24-105mm f/4, 70-200mm f/2.8, and 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6. I found this to be a very good array of gear. For wide vistas, I'd use the 24-105 and shoot overlapping frames for stitching. Much of the wildlife will be amazingly close. Shooting seabirds flying behind the ship is one of the times where more reach might have been useful. Carry-on weight restrictions were a major concern for the flight down to Ushuaia. I used a large dry bag to hold my
...Show more

Nov 10, 2016 at 05:23 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Just back from the Antarctic

I took the 80-200 and the tripod that I never used. 80% of the time I used D500+300/f4 VR with rare occasions tc 1.4, 20% D800E+24-120. the pinguins are close, but shooting BIF from the ship is fun and the D500 was a joy. I had the 200-500 that I didn't take with me and I was right. The 300 f4 was great with the D500. I didn't have a dry bag but did have a kitchen bag, that I never needed. Many had dry bags that were so heavy and cumbersome.
Hope this helps. Pack light and Have fun.

Thanks for your input. I have been debating quite a bit about taking any lens longer than 300/4.
A friend told me that for my trip, 500mm will be useful if I want to get pictures of penguin feeding its chick as they will be further back. Of course 300/4 with TC can take care of that as well.
I think I will pack the rest of my gears first, if there is no room or extra weight left for 500/4 then
it is no big loss, I guess.

Nov 10, 2016 at 05:55 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Just back from the Antarctic

suteetat wrote:
Thanks for your input. I have been debating quite a bit about taking any lens longer than 300/4.
A friend told me that for my trip, 500mm will be useful if I want to get pictures of penguin feeding its chick as they will be further back. Of course 300/4 with TC can take care of that as well.
I think I will pack the rest of my gears first, if there is no room or extra weight left for 500/4 then
it is no big loss, I guess.

If you have 300 f4, it would be insane to take the 500 f4 ( I had this monster, I know it).
If you shoot D500, by all means, take it. If you shoot Canon, take a fast shooting one and a full frame one for landscapes. I will post more landscapes and BIF.

Nov 10, 2016 at 06:47 PM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Just back from the Antarctic

Tremendous! I enjoyed all of these. Each are unique though all are artistic and provide context and behavioral insight to the viewer.

Lovely set; thanks for posting.

--Kim

Nov 10, 2016 at 06:58 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Just back from the Antarctic

Beautiful birds.

-Tam

Nov 10, 2016 at 07:06 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Just back from the Antarctic

nugeny wrote:
If you have 300 f4, it would be insane to take the 500 f4 ( I had this monster, I know it).
If you shoot D500, by all means, take it. If you shoot Canon, take a fast shooting one and a full frame one for landscapes. I will post more landscapes and BIF.

Thanks very much. This will make packing much simpler for me as I am restricted to 20kg check in and 5kg carry on
for the chartered flight down to King George's Island. Although I am traveling with a big group of friends who offered to share some weight with me. I might throw in a Nikon 1 for fun with 300/4. Not sure how useful that would be or if there is any chance of getting shots of penguins or seals on the ice bergs from the boat. Looking forward to see the rest of your pictures.

Nov 10, 2016 at 09:17 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Just back from the Antarctic

wonderer wrote:
Tremendous! I enjoyed all of these. Each are unique though all are artistic and provide context and behavioral insight to the viewer.

Lovely set; thanks for posting.

--Kim
I

Thanks, Kim, for your generous comment.

canon.eos30d wrote:
Beautiful birds.

-Tam

Tam, you are so right.

suteetat wrote:
Thanks very much. This will make packing much simpler for me as I am restricted to 20kg check in and 5kg carry on
for the chartered flight down to King George's Island. Although I am traveling with a big group of friends who offered to share some weight with me. I might throw in a Nikon 1 for fun with 300/4. Not sure how useful that would be or if there is any chance of getting shots of penguins or seals on the ice bergs from the boat. Looking forward to see the rest of your pictures.

2 lenses (24-120 and 300 f4). 2 cameras one full frame and one crop/sport shooter. No tripod and you got it made. Have fun.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:06 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Just back from the Antarctic

per popular demand, the Exif's are now showing. thanks for looking.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:49 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.