Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

Shield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

Just bought a couple of "Original Canon / Genuine LP-E6N" batteries from a NY seller that showed 40 sold.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331945379219?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Got them in and my cameras all showed them as being "LP-E6" and not the "N" designation.

Went to a local camera show to compare to a "real" LPE6N straight out of a 7DII box:

Fake01 - top picture - the blue label colors were different and note the 4th line of text being quite different.

Real battery on the bottom.

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:34 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

Picture 2: The fake LPE6N next to a real LPE6 (provided by the camera store)

Fake battery on the bottom. These blues match, but man - what a clever forgery/counterfeit.

Of note - neither package included the battery cover either; IIRC a genuine Canon does.

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:38 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

Last footnote - seller responsed immediately and is refunding my shipping + ebay costs back to me.
He said he purchased these from Amazon and had no idea.

These are really LP-E6 batteries rebaged IMO, but my little Canon XC-10 camera will only charge the N nomenclature batteries with the external charger.

Just thought I'd share my experience.
Shawn

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:42 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

I never buy memory cards or batteries off eBay ... or anything else that can be counterfeited easily unless I can live with the fake. I did pickup 3 non photography items off eBay last week that were priced lower than expected and I can't tell if they are real or not, but they are fine for my purpose.

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:51 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

I don't think the seller is going to pull the listing either, and he's waiting on the return of the batteries to refund me my lousy $100 for two of them. I sent him these pictures as well.

People, man. Where is the integrity?

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:55 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

UCSB wrote:
I never buy memory cards or batteries off eBay ... or anything else that can be counterfeited easily unless I can live with the fake. I did pickup 3 non photography items off eBay last week that were priced lower than expected and I can't tell if they are real or not, but they are fine for my purpose.

Sure that's reasonable. Had I bought $17 ones from China then that's all on me. This was "USA Genuine and shipped from NYC and had a ton of feedback. I needed two and was trying to save $30.

B&H just got $62 from me. Lesson learned.

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:56 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

Latest email barbs:

Me: I certainly would expect ethically that you stop listing counterfeits as genuine.

Him: Please don't question my ethics you know nothing about me - I took your story as gospel because I don't have the time to investigate -for $80 hundreds of customers have no complaints your the first - enjoy the day

Me: I have given you proof, solid pictures, a store in Ohio you can call for 3rd party verification, I am out the hassle of driving to that store and dealing with this mess. Plus the fact that you mentioned it was a hassle to return to Amazon.
Just because 40 other batteries were sold and no one complained doesn’t make it right.
That’s on your conscious not mine. Just need my $ 106.35 back and we’re golden. I have said my peace.

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:05 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

eBay is a huge conduit for counterfeit products.
I've not heard of any such issues at BH and the Adormama.

EBH

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:53 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

I bought some LP-E6 from Amazon that claimed to be original and came in packaging that looked original. It wasn't till a year or so later when the newer bodies cracked down on counterfeits with their error messages that I found out they weren't legit.

So many scams out there.

It should be noted that there are different labels even for the legit ones. So just having a different label doesn't necessarily mean it is fake. However, if the camera reports it as non-N then that is a good sign. There was a very good thread on POTN years ago showing all the legit and non-legit labels and other markings but that was for the original LP-E6.

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:57 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

I'd file a chargeback on your credit card and file a complaint with ebay. The seller certainly knows they are fakes. If he wants them back, he can send you postage.

Sent the photo to Canon along with the link to the seller.

Note that he is in Brooklyn, NY. Also check out the Ferarri he is selling for $205,000! Only 200 miles!

Next week it will be the Brooklyn Bridge.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:11 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

I'd file a chargeback on your credit card and file a complaint with ebay. The seller certainly knows they are fakes. If he wants them back, he can send you postage.

Sent the photo to Canon along with the link to the seller.

Note that he is in Brooklyn, NY. Also check out the Ferarri he is selling for $205,000! Only 200 miles!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Ferrari-California-/332009348192?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d4d4c9c60:g:etwAAOSwFdtX1a~l&item=332009348192

Next week it will be the Brooklyn Bridge.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:28 AM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

He's already agreed to refund the cost of the 2 batteries plus postage back. Once that money has been returned, then things will get more interesting.

Oct 29, 2016 at 02:54 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

I think that 7DII was the last camera in Canon's lineup that "allowed" the use of counterfeit / non-original batteries. Now cameras show you a message that battery is not supported. I believe that newer chargers also refuse to charge these batteries...

Oct 29, 2016 at 06:15 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

I use a Watson dual charger would it charge them or will it error out also.

Oct 29, 2016 at 09:14 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

Thirty party chargers don't care about much other than seeing the battery contacts.

EBH

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:29 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

My FM forum friends and people who hate counterfeit batteries sold as genuine (esp sold in America):

The seller did refund my money, but is continuing to sell these fakes as "Genuine Canon". He is harassing me on ebay since I left a negative for him.

Please be sure to report these as counterfeits so we can get this listing pulled.
https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&UsingSSL=1&siteid=0&co_partnerId=2&pageType=2336110&ru=http%3A%2F%2Focswf.ebay.com%2Frti%2Fcompose%3Fitems%3D331945379219%26seller%3Dnycexec212

Thanks all
Shawn

Nov 05, 2016 at 05:18 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

One way to reduce the supply/demand of counterfeit batteries would be if OEMs stopped charging so much for them. I think the reason consumers seek out alternate sources is because they don't believe the batteries represent a good value at their nominal price.

Nov 05, 2016 at 05:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

snapsy wrote:
One way to reduce the supply/demand of counterfeit batteries would be if OEMs stopped charging so much for them. I think the reason consumers seek out alternate sources is because they don't believe the batteries represent a good value at their nominal price.

It's like ink, but not quite so bad.

Nov 05, 2016 at 05:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

snapsy wrote:

Another solution is to not buy from eBay, but an authorized reseller instead.

EBH

Nov 05, 2016 at 06:08 PM
MikeyV
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · PSA - Check your LP-E6N batteries for counterfeits!

EB-1 wrote:
Another solution is to not buy from eBay, but an authorized reseller instead.

EBH

+1. Only thing I know is to suck it up and buy from the authorized reseller. I'm not taking any chances.

Nov 11, 2016 at 07:28 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.