Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

cputeq
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

I thought I'd share the bit of wisdom that I somehow picked up through internet surfing, etc.

Tools required:

Tweezers
Electrical tape
Scissors or other cutting tool.

1) Remove the EVF eye cup
2) Cut a very small piece of electrical tape approximately 1/3 the width of the EVF sensor.
3) Using tweezers, place the tape on the RIGHT side of the sensor and press down flat.
4) Adjust and enjoy.

Now realize that the further you go left, the less sensitive it is. I actually managed to get it so un-sensitive that it wouldn't even switch to the EVF. I then took my tweezers (the blunt, handle end of them) and gently moved the tape over maybe 1/4 a millimeter or so -- basically, not very much at all. This will change up the sensitivity a lot.

Now, my camera works like any sane camera should. I put my eye directly up to the EVF and it comes on. Yes, there is a slight delay, but I can live with that because there is NO auto-switching when I'm using the rear LCD as a waist-level finder! Hallelujah.

In fact, it's at the point where if I'm wearing glasses, I pretty much can't shoot with the EVF (which is fine, since I shoot without glasses).

Small adjustments!

My modified A7ii

Oct 24, 2015 at 06:18 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

Pretty clever mod!

Good thing the guy who sold you the camera didn't do that himself and forget to remove it or you'd have to leave bad feedback about how your supposedly excellent condition used camera had electrical tape stuck on it

Now to go try that with my A7rII

Oct 24, 2015 at 08:12 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

millsart wrote:
Pretty clever mod!

Good thing the guy who sold you the camera didn't do that himself and forget to remove it or you'd have to leave bad feedback about how your supposedly excellent condition used camera had electrical tape stuck on it

Now to go try that with my A7rII

Actually I would have probably given +100 likes, because I was sold an A7 with a reasonable EVF sensor !!
Once the EVF cup is replaced, it's actually pretty difficult to see the mod

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:04 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

Simple, clever solution.

Oct 25, 2015 at 04:02 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

Thanks for posting. I shoot a fair amount with the 'monitor' at waist level - as it is the A7 requires you hold it quite far from your body so I might try this.

Apart from bog-standard PVC (electrical) tape, any tape gurus care to wade in with even better residue-free recommendations?

Oct 25, 2015 at 04:13 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

Great to post this again I have used this method on all my A7's and it really works

Oct 25, 2015 at 04:28 AM
gyoung143
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

An earlier suggestion was to use 'Light Dims, which are small self adhesive 'neutral density' filters for LEDs, which I did. Your method is cheaper! Although I would beware heat from your forehead etc spreading the adhesive from the tape.

Gerry

Oct 25, 2015 at 04:30 AM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

Paul Mo wrote:
Thanks for posting. I shoot a fair amount with the 'monitor' at waist level - as it is the A7 requires you hold it quite far from your body so I might try this.

Apart from bog-standard PVC (electrical) tape, any tape gurus care to wade in with even better residue-free recommendations?

Try a bit of black gaffer's tape...no residue. It may be very slightly thicker than the typical PVC electrical tape, but shouldn't be a problem.

Oct 25, 2015 at 05:24 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

gyoung143 wrote:
An earlier suggestion was to use 'Light Dims, which are small self adhesive 'neutral density' filters for LEDs, which I did.
Gerry

Yeah, I was thinking about small pieces of transparency - differing densities, etc.

Oct 25, 2015 at 07:03 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

I don't know what problem this fix addresses on the Sony a7 series since I don't own one.
I keep my options open on cameras though since Nikon has not replaced the D 300 series with a newer one. Was the EVF coming on when your eye was not at the viewfinder or something?

Oct 25, 2015 at 07:43 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

DaveOls wrote:
I don't know what problem this fix addresses on the Sony a7 series since I don't own one.
I keep my options open on cameras though since Nikon has not replaced the D 300 series with a newer one. Was the EVF coming on when your eye was not at the viewfinder or something?

Exactly. The 7 series EVF sensor is extremely sensitive. I've had it stay on when holding the camera up to 8 inches away from my chest/waist!

Re residue: Not to worry, but the time I had handled this tiny piece of tape with scissors and fingers, it really wasn't that sticky once applied. The residue concerns are almost nil.

A couple of twists with a Q-tip on the area would remove anything the tape might actually leave behind.

No worries of moving this or causing residue to run, etc -- maybe it's the cheap tape I'm using but trust me this thing isn't moving unless I specifically move it. EVF cup protects it fine.

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:34 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

What about just basic scotch tape ? Its semi-transparent so might work if its just placed across the entire thing ?

Likewise, I've got a ton of color gel sample swatch boxes with some various ND's of all kinds of transmission values. Maybe something like a 75% one could work.

I'm looking at the camera right now and I could maybe actually cut one of those to just slot right in behind the rubber eye cup and not even need to bother with some with adhesives

Guess I'll be busy with afternoon experimenting lol

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:37 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

millsart wrote:
What about just basic scotch tape ? Its semi-transparent so might work if its just placed across the entire thing ?

Likewise, I've got a ton of color gel sample swatch boxes with some various ND's of all kinds of transmission values. Maybe something like a 75% one could work.

I'm looking at the camera right now and I could maybe actually cut one of those to just slot right in behind the rubber eye cup and not even need to bother with some with adhesives

Guess I'll be busy with afternoon experimenting lol

I've tried semi-T scotch and it doesn't work. I was covering the entire sensor to attempt to "dull" the entire beam but it doesn't work like that, as the beam just goes and is received straight through the tape.

My guess is that this method effectively slightly blocks either the transmit or receive side of the sensor, so that it takes a closer object to bounce enough beams back into the sensor to have it activate (I'm guessing we're covering the transmit side on the right, but who knows...I guess it could work the other way by making the receiving side "smaller" by covering it up).

I also read up on Light Dims someone else mentioned earlier, but I figured I'd try with electrical. It's not like electrical is duct tape So the residue, especially on this smooth EVF sensor, is minimal-to-none.

I'd take mine off to test it, but I've got it dialed in perfectly and don't want to screw that up

The ND slot idea might work, but I'd bet it would simply reflect your transmit beams back to the sensor and actually keep it on the whole time, unless it's flush against the sensor.

Even then, being an ND, it would still let light pass through even if minimized. Interesting thought though.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:49 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

Interesting....

Sounds like I can scrape a few ideas right off the bat. Maybe instead of a semi-transparent gel, I can try one that is mostly opaque, and just keep cutting out a larger notch until it can auto switch effectively.

Shouldn't be too hard to cut out a shape that effectively slides over the notch of the EVF behind the eye-cup, and I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a commercial product doing the same thing but for probably $14.99 or higher

Really is something needed for the camera though as it does switch to the EVF way too easily with waist level shooting

Oct 25, 2015 at 01:08 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

I typically either am using the EVF full time or I'm using the rear LCD full time...depending if I'm shooting off a tripod. I just adjust via the menu to the appropriate finder.

Oct 25, 2015 at 01:14 PM
gyoung143
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

Here you go

http://www.lightdims.com/

Gerry

Oct 25, 2015 at 01:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

cputeq wrote:
I thought I'd share the bit of wisdom that I somehow picked up through internet surfing, etc.

Tools required:

Tweezers
Electrical tape
Scissors or other cutting tool.

1) Remove the EVF eye cup
2) Cut a very small piece of electrical tape approximately 1/3 the width of the EVF sensor.
3) Using tweezers, place the tape on the RIGHT side of the sensor and press down flat.
4) Adjust and enjoy.

Now realize that the further you go left, the less sensitive it is. I actually managed to get it so un-sensitive that it wouldn't even switch to the EVF. I then took my tweezers (the blunt, handle end
...Show more

Thanks for the tip. It worked like a charm.
My take is that Sony designed the the little sensor for zero lag when the eye gets close to it. With this mod there is a tiny lag now but it's not very noticeable and one can get used to it. The benefit of this mod is having the camera LCD low against the body to the body and keep the image on the LCD.
Yes, you can do that in the menu but it's a pain and I enjoy having the camera switching between automatically between LCD and EVF.

Oct 25, 2015 at 04:42 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

chez wrote:
I typically either am using the EVF full time or I'm using the rear LCD full time...depending if I'm shooting off a tripod. I just adjust via the menu to the appropriate finder.

Yeah for shooters like you it's probably not a big deal, especially for people (A7rii owners?) that can map EVF/LCD to a button, if this is possible.

This issue is actually what drove me to sell off my original A7 kit - the fact I couldn't map a button for fast swaps and Sony's still reluctance to address this via a firmware update that would take 2 seconds to write. Of course, had I known about this hack I probably would have kept the A7 kit (including my lovely ZF1 100/2 makro )

It's just sad we have to resort to silly tricks like this because Sony's nothing but a dang electronics company that makes pretty good cameras and lenses >,< and refuses to address major complaints that would be trivial to fix in firmware. Of course, for others this is petty concern!

Oct 25, 2015 at 05:18 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks for the tip. It worked like a charm.
My take is that Sony designed the the little sensor for zero lag when the eye gets close to it. With this mod there is a tiny lag now but it's not very noticeable and one can get used to it. The benefit of this mod is having the camera LCD low against the body to the body and keep the image on the LCD.
Yes, you can do that in the menu but it's a pain and I enjoy having the camera switching between automatically between LCD and EVF.

Awesome, glad it worked. Yeah the lag is there, but it's minor compared to using a menu to do the same thing. I can live with that, since I seem to swap between LCD and EVF almost randomly and therefore need auto-switch

Oct 25, 2015 at 05:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony's Overly Sensitive EVF sensor -- And how to fix it in 2 minutes!

cputeq wrote:
Awesome, glad it worked. Yeah the lag is there, but it's minor compared to using a menu to do the same thing. I can live with that, since I seem to swap between LCD and EVF almost randomly and therefore need auto-switch

Yes, and that is the problem assigning EVF/LCD to a button. Yes, it's possible for the A7RII but I found it frustrating for everyday shooting. For example, you press the button to get EVF only but when you want to review the picture, you have to press the button again, then when going back to EVF, the button again...and so forth.
It took me a minute to place a small piece of tape there. If I ever change my mind, it's an easy removal.

Oct 25, 2015 at 06:10 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.