FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · A few More from Patagonia

Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A few More from Patagonia

Hey All,
I'm still going through my pics from Patagonia but I managed to process a few more now.

1. This is the Fitz Roy mountain in Patagonia, Argentina close to a small town called El Chaltén I was staying in. To get this close to the mountain I had to do a little bit of a quite steep hiking up the hill (4km to be exact) but it was worth the effort. There's a big lake up there as well, however this shot is all about the mountain and it's "raging" look. The sun showed up for just a few seconds but that was enough to capture the light rays and this dramatic look.

2. Through the opening. I took this shot in Torres del Paine National Park, Chile. I got to the place with a hope I'll be able to capture something, something at all. I knew the location but with the overcast sky I was quite skeptical I'll be able to see some mountains. As you can see they did showed up for a moment...

3. The cold sunrise.
The opposite side of the Fitz Roy canyon near El Chaltén, Patagonia, Argentina. This is a two exposure blend (0.8 and 0.125 seconds).

4. Waterfalls of Patagonia.
The waterfall in front was illuminated by the sun so I decided to take this shot from the top. I used a 4 f-stops ND filter to slow down the motion of the water flow, and polarizer to remove any glare. This shot was also taken near El Chaltén, Patagonia, Argentina.

5. While waiting for a better sun's position to take some glacier shots I decided to explore a local forest and found these moss covered trees quite appealing and photogenic. But, taking pictures of just trees and grass can be boring so I decided to do a little vertical panning. This shot is a 2 seconds exposure taken @ f/22 with image stabilization (or vibration reduction) engaged and set to a "normal" mode so that the horizontal movement is stabilized as much as possible. I took it near Perito Moreno Glacier, El Calafate, Argentina.

Edited on Jun 03, 2014 at 11:48 PM · View previous versions

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM
lionking
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A few More from Patagonia

WOW!
I am blown away!
I am packing my bag and leaving right now...

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:44 PM
theroadtaken
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A few More from Patagonia

Beautiful work. Number 2 is my favorite, what a view.

Chris

Mar 25, 2014 at 01:15 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A few More from Patagonia

all fantastic.

David

Mar 25, 2014 at 01:29 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A few More from Patagonia

Stunning series Greg! Thanks for sharing!

Mar 25, 2014 at 01:33 PM
LLarouche

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A few More from Patagonia

Stunning photography, Regards.

Mar 25, 2014 at 02:02 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A few More from Patagonia

I am nearly speechless. The first image took my breath away, but the second image is even better. The second image is unique and quite remarkable!
Keith W.

Mar 25, 2014 at 02:24 PM
mike717
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A few More from Patagonia

All excellent Greg but the second is outstanding.

Mike

Mar 25, 2014 at 02:41 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A few More from Patagonia

Hey Greg,

Very nice work here. My favorites are #1 and 4. The only one I don't care for as much is #2, with that band of dark clouds across the top. Perhaps cropping that band of dark at the top off? But I like the look of the water and mountains in that one.

Jim

Mar 25, 2014 at 02:41 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A few More from Patagonia

Thank you all! I'll post some more this weekend. I took over 4000 images (a lot of repetition but because the light changed rapidly in the morning/evening the same scene looked different every minute. A good example would be the first image). I have some that I'm so happy with I don't know how to start to process them.
One thing for sure, I'll be getting back to this place again, and again. I may even organize a 2 weeks photography workshop. There are still lots of places I'd like to go to but they require some serious hiking (maybe 12 miles one way so I'd need to camp). But, I guarantee it'll be worth it
Again, thank you. Oh, I didn't have a time yet to post some images on my website (except for the first one). I'm in the middle of rewriting it but hopefully I'll post some this weekend again.
On the other subject... I've got my MacPro while I was in Patagonia (it was waiting for me at the local Fedex place). I'm a software engineer and I can tell you, if you like a good post processing machine, this is it. It eats through my 36MP files like through a butter, and I got the cheapest with only 4 cores version. I did get the best video cards though and that helps a big time. I see CPU hardly used in PS, only in Lightroom.
I love the darn thing...
I thought I share this info with you all in case someone needs a new and good machine for big files like those from D800 cameras. I'm sure they will only get bigger in time.

Edited on Mar 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM · View previous versions

Mar 25, 2014 at 02:45 PM
JohnC
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A few More from Patagonia

Wow, just fantastic. The first one really imparts a sense of scale to the size of the mountain.

Mar 25, 2014 at 02:47 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A few More from Patagonia

JimFox wrote:
Hey Greg,

Very nice work here. My favorites are #1 and 4. The only one I don't care for as much is #2, with that band of dark clouds across the top. Perhaps cropping that band of dark at the top off? But I like the look of the water and mountains in that one.

Jim

Hey Jim,
Like always, very honest...
I did crop a lot of these clouds. I am thinking as you do, I guess to a certain extend. But, I wanted to leave something to show the "opening" and the stormy clouds surrounding the mountains. I cropped off everything and didn't like the shot. It wasn't about the opening, which was my vision, just mountains and the river. So, I decided to leave it on, just reduce it a bit. I like the effect with it better.

Mar 25, 2014 at 02:50 PM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A few More from Patagonia

Simply spectacular! I am impressed.

# 4 and # 5 my favorite.

Mar 25, 2014 at 03:13 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A few More from Patagonia

You got some amazing shots in Patagonia Greg. Congratulations
I might be the minority here but my favorites are the second and forth.
Post more!
Fred

Mar 25, 2014 at 05:53 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A few More from Patagonia

Fred Miranda wrote:
You got some amazing shots in Patagonia Greg. Congratulations
I might be the minority here but my favorites are the second and forth.
Post more!
Fred

Thanks Fred. We stil gotta go for that iOpteron lessons at one point
I was actually hesitating to post the 4th shot. It's from Patagonia but doesn't really show it. Oregon or Washington has a lot of similar trees (covered with moss). But I'm glad you like it.

Mar 25, 2014 at 06:17 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A few More from Patagonia

Gregg B. wrote:
Thanks Fred. We stil gotta go for that iOpteron lessons at one point
I was actually hesitating to post the 4th shot. It's from Patagonia but doesn't really show it. Oregon or Washington has a lot of similar trees (covered with moss). But I'm glad you like it.

When you get back to Orange County, let's plan it on a clear day.
Fred

Mar 25, 2014 at 06:20 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A few More from Patagonia

Btw, fwiw, I really like the dark clouds at the top of image two. It adds an extra layer to the scene, and it shows more completely what the weather conditions really were like. I realize this is subjective, but I love your presentation of that image.
Keith W.

Mar 25, 2014 at 07:02 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A few More from Patagonia

wow, what a set!

Mar 25, 2014 at 07:35 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A few More from Patagonia

I like each one.....but #1 is just so immense it's silly. I find myself just staring at it!

Mar 25, 2014 at 07:46 PM
fasen

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A few More from Patagonia

Great!

Mar 25, 2014 at 07:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.