fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
  

Archive 2013 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?

  
 
Scott Mosher
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


So I'm busy editing a wedding. I shot with a Nikon d700, other guy shot with 5DIII. Both outside with the couple shooting natural light. To get the images looking the same, his wb is a temp of 6250 while mine is 5691. Am I just over thinking it?


Apr 06, 2013 at 05:46 PM
amonline
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


Sounds about right, actually. Canon is known for being about 500k warmer to be correct-ish.


Apr 06, 2013 at 06:13 PM
swoop
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


I occasionally shoot a Leica M9 and Canon 5D mk2 together and it's so annoying how the white balance can be set exactly the same and I'm talking Kelvin, and still be different on screen.


Apr 06, 2013 at 07:02 PM
ckhagen
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


My two canon mk2's were both totally different on the magenta-green scale when set at the same temp. So that doesn't surprise me at all.


Apr 06, 2013 at 07:15 PM
Jamesbjenkins
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


Not surprised. Even my D3s and D3 are about 300K off from each other on the "same" setting.


Apr 06, 2013 at 07:52 PM
amonline
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


My mkII's were identical, but I bought them together pre-ordered from the same batch. Candice, did you buy yours at separate times? Just curious.


Apr 06, 2013 at 07:57 PM
NYstyles
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


My seconds use Canon and I always have to fix the warmth. I personally do not like Canon colors.


Apr 06, 2013 at 09:47 PM
SloPhoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


Scott Mosher wrote:
So I'm busy editing a wedding. I shot with a Nikon d700, other guy shot with 5DIII. Both outside with the couple shooting natural light. To get the images looking the same, his wb is a temp of 6250 while mine is 5691. Am I just over thinking it?


profiles (and color filters) are different, not surprising.

There is a bunch more to it than just WB.



Apr 06, 2013 at 10:01 PM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


NYstyles wrote:
I personally do not like Canon colors.


I buddy of mine shoots Nikon and his seconds shoot Canon. He complained to me that the Canon files are orange. Is this what you don't like about the Canon colors? Or is there more to it?



Apr 06, 2013 at 10:25 PM
ckhagen
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


amonline wrote:
My mkII's were identical, but I bought them together pre-ordered from the same batch. Candice, did you buy yours at separate times? Just curious.


Yes, about six months apart actually.

I've had 2nds shoot Nikon and found the files totally green in comparison.



Apr 06, 2013 at 10:30 PM
cas5
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


xRite Colorchecker Passport
</thread>



Apr 06, 2013 at 11:46 PM
NYstyles
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


D. Diggler wrote:
I buddy of mine shoots Nikon and his seconds shoot Canon. He complained to me that the Canon files are orange. Is this what you don't like about the Canon colors? Or is there more to it?


Yes, its orange/pink. Every. single. one. I batch process so I have a special preset to batch process Canon files to compensate for the orange/pink.

At my local print lab/camera shop they love Sony colors. They say its the truest over Canon and Nikon. One day I'll rent a Sony to play with.

I do like my moms Canon film camera, the colors are nice.



Apr 07, 2013 at 12:42 AM
TTLKurtis
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


Yeah I have presets I've made for Nikon and Canon specifically. Definitely a different look.


Apr 07, 2013 at 02:07 AM
sivrajbm
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


My colors look pretty darn close, between my canon bodies.


Apr 07, 2013 at 09:34 AM
Eyeball
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


Two topics have been brought up in this thread:
1. Discrepancies in matching general white balance between cameras
2. Discrepancies in matching color in general.

I think #1 was Scott's primary concern. While there is a very specific scientific definition of Kelvin temperature, the way Kelvin is used for expressing white balance in digital photography is subject to some interpretation by the camera and software manufacturers involving their profiles and raw development processes. Some variance is to be expected among camera manufacturers and between camera manufacturers and software developers.

Here is an excerpt from a comment from Thomas Knoll, one of the creators of Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw:

>Thomas Knoll - 10:47am Sep 25, 05 PST (#1 of 101) Edited: 25-Sep-2005 at 12:57pm

>This is the normal and expected result of Adobe Camera Raw and Nikon using different camera profiles and algorithms, and is not a bug.

>Because of the different camera profiles being used, when matching white balance values Camera Raw can either match the white balance appearance (which colors are exactly neutral) or the white balance numbers (exact Kelvin/Tint numbers). In these cases, Camera Raw chose to match the appearance, not the numbers.

>Even if the white balance matches, I don't expect an exact overall appearance match since Camera Raw and Nikon software use a different tone curve and rendering algorithms for non-neutral colors.


Also, here are some additional comments from Thomas that were quoted on this page at Digital Outback Photo ( http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_04/essay.html ):

If you take a black object and start heating it up,first it starts to glow red, then orange, then yellow,then "white," and then a blue-white. The exact color of this light is dependent only on the temperature of the object, and is called "black body radiation". It is usually measured in degrees Kelvin. Unfortunately, humans usually describe lower Kelvin numbers as being"warmer," and higher numbers is being "colder," which is opposite what science would suggest.

But real world light is rarely pure black body radiation. A tungsten light comes very close to being a pure black body, but other light sources usually have a color that is offset from the black body curve. On one side of black body curve, the light is greener; on the other side, the light is more magenta. Fluorescent lights are often very green. The standardized average daylight values (D55, D65, D75) are all slightly greener than black body. Flashes are sometimes more magenta than black body.



Apr 07, 2013 at 10:08 AM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


How important is it really that the white balances are identical? I edit different brands of cameras shooting the same scene and while they are not a perfect match, neither one is "wrong". Just different from each other. Either camera could stand on its own if you never saw the shots from the other camera.

Lately, I have not been matching cameras up and just leaving it to the client to choose their favorite. The variety in looks is a "bonus" to the client. Thoughts?



Apr 07, 2013 at 05:40 PM
cordellwillis
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


OP, so you actually expected the WB from to different manufacturers to be the same? Why would you expect this? You can have a difference within the same manufacturers line of cameras. As everyone else has noted 'not surprising at all. If anything I'm sure most of us would be shocked if they were the same.


Apr 07, 2013 at 07:19 PM
eNoBlog
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


Just be thankful you _can_ correct it. How would you like to do this with film? Different stocks of film?


Apr 07, 2013 at 08:30 PM
paparazzinick
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


I know your pain. My D600 pics are cooler than my D7100 pics and then my D7000 are totally different than the other 2. Drives me nuts. Just adds an extra step when editing in post.



Apr 08, 2013 at 09:39 AM
Scott Mosher
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · White balances between multiple cameras not equal?


cordellwillis wrote:
OP, so you actually expected the WB from to different manufacturers to be the same? Why would you expect this? You can have a difference within the same manufacturers line of cameras. As everyone else has noted 'not surprising at all. If anything I'm sure most of us would be shocked if they were the same.


No didn't expect it. Just curious if it was typical for it to be so different.



Apr 08, 2013 at 09:50 AM
       2       end




FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account