Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM

Focal Length: 16-35mm
APS Equivalent: 26-56mm
Max Aperture: f/4
Min Aperture: f/22
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (circular)
Lens Construction: 16 elements in 12 groups, including 3 aspherical and 2 UD elements, fluorine coating
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 108.2 to 63 degrees
Focus Details: Inner focusing; full-time manual focus and USM
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 0.28m / 0.92 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.23x / 1:4.3 (at 35mm)
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 112.8mm x 82.6mm / 4.44 in. x 3.25 in.
Weight: 615g / 1.36 lb
Notes: Image Stabilization (up to four stop correction); Dust and moisture resistant; Includes lens hood, soft pouch.

Page:  1 · 2  next
Dave Gorman

Registered: Aug 8, 2022
Review Date: Aug 9, 2022 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A great lens for getting up and personal, very wide and good distortion control
Cons:

A great lens we use it for product photography of fitness equipment so need a wide lens to get the big products in the image, also great for doing environmental gym work

Aug 9, 2022
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dave Gorman to your Buddy List
Seb Coell

Registered: Mar 30, 2021
Review Date: Apr 3, 2022 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Incredible sharpness corner to corner even past F14,very well made
Cons:
Slight vignetting at 16mm

Great lens especially for Landscape Photographers or other genres that don't require F2.8 one of the sharpes zoom wide angles you can buy, slight vignetting at 16mm but looks nice, bokeh is weak being a wide angle

Apr 3, 2022
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Seb Coell to your Buddy List
dbolle

Registered: Aug 12, 2019
Review Date: Jan 12, 2022 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp & Light -both in weight and $$
Cons:
Zero

Amazing alternative to the 2.8 if your budget won't allow. IS gets you around the higher f stop in most circumstances.Sharp, quick autofocus. Great color rendition, great bokeh, etc. Really hard to go wrong with it. Great deals can be had used if you're patient.

Side benefit: Uses less expensive 77mm filter if you're into that.

Jan 12, 2022
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dbolle to your Buddy List
romancephoto

Registered: Oct 2, 2020
Review Date: Oct 3, 2020 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, great build.
Cons:

I used to have 17-35 f4 but this lens is nothing in comparison with 16-35 IS f4. great build quality, sharp. I primarily use it for some real estate work I do but it is great for weddings too!

Oct 3, 2020
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add romancephoto to your Buddy List
tcphoto

Registered: Mar 29, 2004
Review Date: Jun 15, 2019 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $675.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: A nice combination of focal length, speed and price. When you add IS, this lens is a bargain. I believe the F4/IS is as sharp, has comparable color and contrast as the F2.8II but not at the level of the F2.8III.
Cons:

I am shooting more architectural and interiors lately and I found a deal on a clean used F4/IS. Iíve found the images to be sharp, nice contrast and colors.

Jun 15, 2019
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tcphoto to your Buddy List
akustyk

Registered: Apr 26, 2011
Review Date: Jan 28, 2018 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent sharpness all the way to the corners. nice punchy colours, fine bokeh, great handholdability (good balance on a 6D, very efficient IS) and it's compatible with normal size filters (77mm screw in, 100mm rectangulars)
Cons:

mother of all wide angle zooms, putting to shame all other WA zoom lenses except perhaps Sony's 16-35 GM. excellent sharpness, lovely colours, very useful IS. if you're changing 17-40 to this one you'll first be at odds with "too clinical photos" but eventuelly will get used to that Smile

Jan 28, 2018
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add akustyk to your Buddy List
avuroski

Registered: Nov 3, 2005
Review Date: Nov 30, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Unbelievable image quality, sharp, contrasty, great color, instant focus, light weight.
Cons:

This lens is an incredible deal new. Run and buy one. It's a much better deal than the 24-70/2.8 II or the 16-35/2.8 III. Incredibly good IQ all around in a light weight smallish form factor. Great ergonomics. Do you need 2.8? You're going to have a smaller DOF. For most people wanting a reasonable DOF with their wides, this is going to be the go-to lens. A masterpiece. Honestly, my favorite canon zoom.

Nov 30, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add avuroski to your Buddy List
Paul Tessier

Registered: Dec 27, 2005
Review Date: Feb 12, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good image quality, Low chromatic aberration, effective image stabilization, nice build.
Cons:
Just some minor personal nit picks.

I found the wide open image quality to be quite good with some improvement stopped down a bit. This lens' strong point is it carries that image quality deep into the corners of full frame bodies even at the 16mm. Chromatic aberration is very well controlled. The auto focus is fast and accurate. The IS works surprisingly well though I think the up to four stops claim is a little over the top. It's more like two or maybe three on the tight end for me. Overall this lens is a very solid performer.

Feb 12, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Paul Tessier to your Buddy List
billsamuels

Registered: Mar 10, 2014
Posts: 2011
Review Date: Jan 26, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,099.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Exceptional Image Quality, Excellent Sharpness throughout the photo, 77mm filter
Cons:

Around the time that I was going to purchase this lens, I was also looking to purchase a Carl Zeiss lens because I had always heard about how sharp a Zeiss was. However, everyone told me that this lens was equally as sharp as a Zeiss. I didn't listen and I bought a Zeiss 25mm F/2 prior to buying this lens. A month later, I bought this lens and after comparing them both, this lens is actually a bit sharper than the Zeiss - it's that good! The Zeiss has better color control than this lens does, but then again, it's also a prime lens.

What can I say, this is a fantastic lens! My first big trip I took was to Antelope Canyon and I shot some of my best photos ever with this lens! Not only were they sharp, but the colors and details were outstanding. I also have an EF 17-40mm F/4L which was always my favorite lens, and despite all of the negative comments out there, I still like it, but it's fallen to number two behind this lens, but only because when you compare any lens to this 16-35mm, they fall short.

One more comment I have to make, which is to get the full vibrancy of this lens, use a full-frame camera like a 6D or 5D (I have both). I also have a Rebel SL1 and the photos I've taken with this lens on it just don't display quite the same as my 6D does.

Have Fun!

Jan 26, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add billsamuels to your Buddy List
Robin Smith

Registered: Dec 19, 2012
Review Date: Jan 13, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great performance, good price and nice size and weight
Cons:
Inevitable distortion compared to good primes

This is an excellent lens with apparent sharpness that is absolutely up with a good prime lens equivalent. Good at f4 and even better at f8. Performance at 16mm is particularly good. 35mm performance is on paper poorer, but I have not noticed any deficit in practice. Part of the reason is that this lens has very high contrast which helps in the perception of sharpness. The size and weight is also very good for its range and the IS makes it even more useful. I rarely have to think whether I should use this or the 24-70II or the 24/2.8 IS I use them interchangeably. In fact, the flatness of field of this one may be better than the 24-70 from 28-35mm. The only negative is that, being a zoom lens with the inherent difficulty of design of these kinds of lenses, is that it does have higher distortion than the prime equivalent. One can notice it on critical subjects. It is not a big deal and most of the time it can be fairly easily corrected. I guess I am not used to seeing it at 35mm. I recommend this lens without reservation. No need to muck about with Zeiss or other primes if you are after great performance. The only reason to get these would be for faster than f4 or if the distortion annoys you, but remember: many prime's distortion levels may be not much better.

Jan 13, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Robin Smith to your Buddy List
Mr Pix

Registered: Jul 3, 2003
Review Date: Dec 1, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,049.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, price, Image Stabilization, contrast, edge to edge sharpness, no chromatic aberrations
Cons:
F4 but not really a negative

I have always admired the absolute image perfection of the 300 f2.8 L IS. This lens has all of the sharpness, contrast, edge to edge consistency of that lens. An absolute pleasure to photograph with this lens. Don't worry about the f4.0 aperture who shoots with a lens like this at f4 anyway... but you can. I was using the 16-35 f2.8 for years and just tolerated the innate imperfections of that lens and used it for those times when I absolutely needed the ultra wide end. Now I actually look for images to photograph at 16mm, because I can. I am a pro for about 40 years now and get really excited to get a piece of equipment that really flat out works. I've seen it all and used most of it so believe me when I say that if you are looking for a lens in this range you CAN NOT DO BETTER! As for the IS on this lens I have heard who needs it on a 16mm lens anyway. It does open up possibilities however. IS is not needed but it does enhance.

Dec 1, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mr Pix to your Buddy List

Review Date: Jun 19, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredible sharpness across a frame on every focal length and aperture. Low price that seems to be the lowest in connection with sharpness it delivers among all L lenses I've ever used. A weather sealed body with a gasket, a comparatively small and convenient lens hood (takes not so much space in my bag like 17-40 lens hood), popular and affordable 77mm filter thread, image stabilization thatís quite handy, image quite compact for an ultra-wide zoom.
Cons:
Canít make coffee & toasts.

Here are some raw (*.CR2) test shots with 16-35/4 L IS lens on my 6D at apertures 4.0 and 8.0. These shots are more telltale than words. Simply download files (find and press a downward arrow) and open locally with smth like DPP or ACR.

I must only add that having experience of using 5 L lenses and 2 ZE lenses I was shocked by sharpness of this gem from Canon when I took first shots. Natural color reproduction, high contrast, uniform sharpness across a frame with only slight degradation in outermost corners, not a trace of softness of any visible CA, low and easy correctable distortion and vignetting.

Beware of minor field curvature esp. on the long end. For max acuity nail focus on a side-located object through LV.
Speaking emotionally I think Iím lucky with the lens or Canon finally made an almost perfect and affordable ultra-wide zoom or both.

P.S. check on my flickr page for shots taken with this lens (still pending).

An important notice (for pixel peepers)!
Iíve been shooting with the lens for a week and thatís what I found.
1. IS may and does degrade IQ making sharpness across a frame non-uniform. I believe IS in a ultra-wide lens acts like a tilt-shift unit making unfavorable and uncontrolled shift movements at the moment of capturing a shot. OTOH IS on mode is fine for videographers. With disabled IS the lens still captures sharp images as usual.
2. The lens has got a mild field curvature on focal length between 24 and 35 mm maximizing at 35mm. Hyper focal focusing is not effectively applicable with this lens. Corner objects are sharper if they closer to the camera. Increasing aperture makes close objects more sharper than ones on distance. So keep this in mind and use LV focusing or focus bracketing techniques. It must be mentioned that it is common for wide and even normal lenses.

N.B. I wonít decrease the lens rating because I think that these aspects are not negative yet rather its peculiarities. Simply keep them in mind and produce great pictures with this great lens.

Jun 19, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add  to your Buddy List
stopper

Registered: May 1, 2008
Review Date: Jun 10, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ across the frame, cheaper than the 2.8 and easy to take hiking
Cons:
Don't like the petal lens hood

In some some situations there is heavy vignetting when using a flash and auto. Easily corrected in Photoshop though.
I love to take this light lens hiking and take pictures of the 200 foot high trees straight up with the blue sky and some cloud in the background, 16mm angle of view is a must.
I have some great pictures of the Cozumel, Mexico sunsets at 16mm. 24mm from the 24-70mm just didn't give enough of the sky, 16mm really enhanced the picture. Don't expect to get a large sun in the picture, it will be a small dot, if you want a large sun use a 300mm.

Jun 10, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stopper to your Buddy List
Photoguy1956

Registered: Jun 10, 2015
Location: Iceland
Review Date: Jun 10, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, excellent corner sharpness and almost equals the super great Nikon 14-24
Cons:
Price of all Canon lenses. I want everything for nothing and Canon wants huge profits.

I could not be happier with this lens.
Comes very close to the highly rated Nikon 14-24 2.8.
This lens also has AF and IS which the Nikon is only manual focus on the Canon bodies...plus you have to have an adapter that will cause some loss of IQ on a Canon body.
I use it for real estate. Inside the home there is no worries for a small room. The customers are selling their home and not their couch so a 16mm wide lens is great.

Jun 10, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Photoguy1956 to your Buddy List
jcmedeiros

Registered: Jun 30, 2004
Review Date: May 8, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $998.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: edge-to-edge sharpness, IQ, IS
Cons:

I have owned the 17-40 f/4L and the 16-35 f/2.8L II and this lens completely destroys both of them in overall image quality, especially in the corners. Canon has absolutely nailed it with this lens. Wide open it is excellent and stopped down it becomes incredibly sharp even at 16mm. CA is minuscule and a huge improvement over my previous WA zooms. Anyone who shoots landscape should definitely give this lens a try. With rebates this is a great value lens in the high priced L lineup.

May 8, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jcmedeiros to your Buddy List
Fred Meebley

Registered: Dec 26, 2006
Review Date: Dec 19, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Optics, Image Stabilization, Fast accurate autofocus, Solid build, Nice lens cap haha
Cons:
Haven't found any yet.

The optics are great, I love the sharpness and contrast right into the corners if I did my part. The colors are good and fringing is well controlled. The flare is also well controlled and sun stars have great definition and shape. The image stabilization is useful and effective. I also like the vignette, it can help give some images a natural looking pop, but can be eliminated with a mouse click if I don't want it. I keep this lens on my 5d3 90% of the time lately and haven't found any reason to complain yet.

Dec 19, 2014