Canon EOS 1D X

• New mechanical shutter rated up to 400,000 cycles
• New intelligent EOS iTR AF Tracking and Recognition options
• Zone, Spot and AF Expansion Focusing modes
• DUAL "DIGIC 5 " processors plus DIGIC 4 processor dedicated to AE functions
• 12fps shooting with AF (JPEG and RAW) or 14fps super High Speed continuous with no AF (JPEG only)
• ISO 100 to 51,200 as standard, ISO 50 to 204,800 with expansion
• 100,000-pixel RGB AE sensor with dedicated processor
• +/- 5 Stop Exposure Compensation
• 55ms shutter lag, 36ms via 'Shortened Release Lag' Custom Function
• Viewfinder blackout at 60ms
• Full HD Movie shooting with ALL-I or IPB compression
• 30min clip length in Full HD Movie
• Timecode setting for HD Movie shooting
• Transparent LCD viewfinder with new focusing screen (100% frame coverage, .76x magnification, 20mm eye-point)
• 3.2" 1.04 million pixel Clear View II LCD Screen
• 2nd Gen EOS Integrated Cleaning System (EICS)
• Dual CF Card slots
• Silent control touch-pad area

Page:  1 · 2  next

scott_scheetz

Registered: Oct 31, 2012
Review Date: Mar 12, 2021 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Phenomenal build and image quality, Top notch AF and shooting performance, Incredible High ISO, Excellent video (with the 1DC)
Cons:
Heavy (but that is expected with a 1D-series camera), No f/8 AF (on the 1DC. the standard 1DX is capable of f/8 AF)

So I've actually got the 1DC, the cinema version of the 1DX. The main difference is in the video side of things where Canon added 4K DCI and Super-35 1080p recording options along with C-LOG.

I've been using this camera for about a year now, and without a doubt this is the best camera I have ever used. The thing that absolutely blew my mind the first time using it was not the AF, not the max continuous fps shooting rate, but the ISO performance. I never thought that I would be able to get consistently usable shots at ISO 25600, and in good light, usable shots at 51200 ISO! I picked up the Canon 50mm f/1.0L USM, and I can get usable results with very little light.

Here are some examples at ISO 51200:

ISO performance is easily a stop to 2 stops better than the 5DIII. Dynamic range is also very good and again, better than the 5DIII. Lots of detail out of this 18MP sensor with beautiful colors.

Build quality is phenomenal. The camera is fully weather sealed and balances well with heavy primes like the 50L & 85L or the heavy L zooms (24-70, 70-200). The battery life is quite long. For photos, several thousand shots. For continuous video recording, 1.25-1.5 hours. Dual card slots of the same type are a huge plus. I hate that the 1DXII switched to 2 different card types (like the older 1D-series). Lots of button customization with 2 custom buttons on the front.

AF performance and continuous shooting is excellent which is expected on a 1D-series camera. 12fps continuous RAW shooting with autofocus. 61-point AF system. My only complaint is there is no f/8 AF capability on the 1DC. The older 1D-series cameras could AF with f/8 lenses using the center point. When the 1DX/1DC was released, it could not. The 1DX got a firmware update enabling f/8 AF, but the 1DC did not. It really is a shame. It's the only thing I would want to change and the only advantage the 1DX has over the 1DC.

Looking at the video side of things (since it is a 1DC), the 4K video is stunning. Tons of detail and the C-LOG recording option is a wonderful addition. The only downside with the 4K is a 1.3x crop. It's not terrible, but not ideal either. It does open up the use of some APS-C lenses that don't quite fully cover full-frame but do cover 1.3x (APS-H) crop sensors. The Super-35 1080p is also very sharp and offers a nice alternate view with the same lens.

Then there's the standard full-frame 1080p. It's identical to the video mode in the 1DX. It's rather soft like the video from the 5DIII. Colors are good, but the detail just isn't there. It's really quite noticeable when you switch between full-frame 1080p and the Super-35 1080p. Super-35 has tons of detail, and the full-frame 1080p just doesn't. It's a real letdown. I almost never use the full-frame 1080p on it. When I want stunning full-frame 1080p, I use the 5DIII with RAW video through Magic Lantern.

Overall, a really stunning camera. The 1DC is what the 1DX should have been and can be picked up rather inexpensively. Used price in 2020 is somewhere between the 1DX and the 1DXII which makes sense. It sort of bridges the gap.

View some photos at full resolution taken with this camera in a set on Flickr:

Mar 12, 2021
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add scott_scheetz to your Buddy List
nygfan44

Registered: Sep 2, 2012
Review Date: Jan 9, 2021 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: I needed a body that gave me the better aspects of the 5D Mk.III and the 1D Mk.IV. I found them in the 1DX. I'm not a techie when it comes to camera specs. But in the 1DX I got the higher frame rate and AF performance of the MK.IV, plus the higher ISO performance of the Mk.III. I have two of them now and am very satisfied with their performance. I also appreciate the larger buffer for Sports/Action shoots too.
Cons:
It's a "brick". Not a lighter weight body like the new mirrorless bodies. I'm use to the weight of it, so it's not that much of an issue for me.

You can read the post from member PJ Buehner, just a few spots below mine. I concur with his observations.

Jan 9, 2021
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nygfan44 to your Buddy List
photo31

Registered: Jan 23, 2019
Review Date: Jun 30, 2019 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I purchased a used 1dx body on eBay 2months ago.I must say it's the best camera I have ever owned.I mainly photo sports and this thing is an animal. If you're thinking about the upgrade, you won't be sorry.
Cons:

Jun 30, 2019
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add photo31 to your Buddy List
mihaiconstanti

Registered: May 8, 2008
Location: Romania
Review Date: May 6, 2018 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A fabulous camera, I need years to discover.
Cons:
A shutter failure at less than 200k for a well-maintained camera is such a disappointment..

May 6, 2018
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mihaiconstanti to your Buddy List
tcphoto

Registered: Mar 29, 2004
Review Date: Apr 4, 2018 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Color, contrast, speed and resolution.
Cons:
Pricey even on the used market.

I've been shooting the 1Dx for about a year as my primary body. It has never failed me and higher ISO performance is a quantum leap from the 1DsIII. When processed through CaptureOne, the files are beautiful and my clients have been very happy.

Apr 4, 2018
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tcphoto to your Buddy List
pjbuehner

Registered: Jan 10, 2010
Review Date: Nov 19, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Simply the best DSLR I have used to date
Cons:
none.

The 1Dx is what I find to be the best combination of previously owned bodies. I have a 1DIV, a 5DIII, and have owned a number of other Canon bodies including the 1DIII.
The AF is fantastic. The build quality, responsiveness, FPS, High ISO, etc etc.
Simply put, I am finally using a camera that I am completely satisfied with. All prior bodies had issues that I worked around.
Considering that a 1DxII is $6,000 and you can find a used 1Dx in great shape for around $3,500 it is a great deal right now. I am sure that I will move to the 1DxII in a year or two but as of now, my next body will be a second 1Dx (when I finally kill my 5DIII or 1DIV)

Nov 19, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pjbuehner to your Buddy List
Chris Paulis

Registered: Sep 19, 2006
Review Date: Oct 8, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Autofocus speed and accuracy, low-light performance, image quality, durability, build quality, customizability
Cons:

I purchased my first 1D-X about three years ago, paying the hefty full price of $6500. At the time, my plan was to relegate my previous #1 body, the 5D MkII, to a backup camera. What I soon learned, however, was that the 1D-X blew the 5D out of the water on autofocus alone. It so excelled that I couldn't stand using the 5DII by comparison; it felt like shooting with a point-and-shoot the autofocus was so sluggish. I sold the 5DII and decided to hold onto my 1DIII as my backup camera. In about 3 years since, I have not used the 1DIII one time because the !D-X was so superior.

In the 3 years I've used that body, I've used it for wildlife photography on a 600 f/4 II lens; shot architecture with TSE 24 and 17mm lenses, photographed portraits and head shots in studio and on location, photographed corporate events, and shot numerous product photography jobs with compact macro lenses. I've never been disappointed.

Recently, Canon CPS removed the 1DIII from its list of supported equipment, so I reached the conclusion that I needed to replace it. So happy was I with the 1D-X that my impulse was to see if I could find a good used body to serve as a second body. So several weeks ago I purchased a second one with just 47K actuations at only $2800.

Last week I had the opportunity to take both bodies out for some wildlife photography with both the 600mm f/4 vII and a 70-200mm f/4. To my amazement, the newer body makes even sharper images of distant subjects than the first one. Just so it's clear, I have had Canon CPS clean and check both bodies, and I copied the settings from the first to the second one, so both should have been equivalent.

Needless to say, I am THRILLED that I now have 2 of these bodies. No camera I have ever owned in 10 years of professional work have come close to the 1D-X.

Oct 8, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Paulis to your Buddy List
ewsmit

Registered: Sep 17, 2005
Review Date: Oct 4, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Focus speed and accuracy, Image Quality, High ISO performance and frames per second
Cons:

I have owned the Canon 1D Mark II, still own the Canon 1D Mark III and the 1Ds Mark III.

This camera is the best 1D series camera I have ever owned.

Could write an entire essay but the camera speaks for itself.

Oct 4, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ewsmit to your Buddy List
nhla350

Registered: Nov 23, 2015
Review Date: Nov 23, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: speed of accurate focus, build quality, high ISO performance, image rendering
Cons:
a touch heavy, a touch expensive, lack of headphone jack

Well, let's be very clear from the start - this is an expensive camera body. As I have long used a 1Ds M3, and this is 18MP versus my 1Ds offering 21MP one might logically ask if this is an upgrade?

Yes, it is. It is dramatically fast to focus, shockingly so. I tend to use manual lenses but do have two L series I consider best of breed (for auto focus that is) - the 85mm f/1.2 and the 50mm f/1.2. Neither is a fast focusing lens, in fact the 85 is pathetically slow. But using this body speeds up focus by a remarkable degree. In addition the accuracy of the focus is splendid.

Even in stupidly low light, it hunts only when there is a barely enough light to see with my own eyes. Canon has done a serious job improving this area. Kudos.

There are myriad menu changes, none enough to confuse a previous 1 Series user, but they require some RTFM time.

In limited ( had the body for a little over two weeks) testing I am seeing a very high dynamic range - as good or better than my 1Ds - and perhaps better ability to draw detail from extremely contrasted compositions. I need to explore this a bit as it is a feature of my previous body I dearly loved - superb dynamic range.

The ability to shoot very high quality video is also a plus. This unit does not use the same video CODEC as the 5 Series body, though they are not dramatically different either. Not trying to start a war... This is not a professional video camera (none of the DSLR units is), but used within rational boundaries it performs to a very high level as the almost complete lack of noise translates to similarly clean video images.

Another issue is the 100% magnesium alloy body, weather sealed. The build quality of this body (and all 1 Series historically) leaves nothing to be desired.

Having two CF card slots allows me to pack 256GB of flash storage onboard. This is very cool.

There are many reviews floating about for this unit with specs, more specs and pixel peeping. I suggest you seek them for that level of review.

At this point I am extremely satisfied. I smile when I plug the body into a Gig Ethernet directly to suck the images off either in real time (tethered) or after the fact.

It is handy to demo pre-processed video via the HDMI mini jack as well.

In practical terms it is meeting my expectations across the board, and exceeding them in certain ways.

Highly recommended if you need high burst shooting speed on a full frame image sensor ,very high quality video and a general sense that this unit was designed after listening to people who use a camera all day long in any possible condtions.

Good stuff.

http://www.adstateagent.com | http://www.hitsticker.com | http://www.printradiant.com

Nov 23, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nhla350 to your Buddy List
rxgolf

Registered: Aug 25, 2005
Review Date: Nov 29, 2014 Recommend? | Price paid: $5,000.00

Pros: Focus speed and accuracy. Build quality Metering. Fast Handling Beautiful files. Large enough for ergonomics to be perfect
Cons:
I would love to have 25% more resolution ONLY if nothing else would change

This is my second 1DX. Between them I tried almost every high end body on the market, including those from Canon, Nikon, Fuji, olympus, and Sony. There are a lot of good cameras out there. Having said that, my quest was to find the best " all around " camera available and for me that is the 1DX. My one wish is a tiny bit more resolution. But, when nearly every shot is exposed correctly and in focus, you end up with an awful lot of shots that look good up to 40x60 printed on metal.

There is not one thing I don't enjoy about this camera. The build quality has yet to be exceeded.......period. Your hit rate of in-focus shots is ridiculously good. The metering in tough situations cuts out a lot of pp time. So after having a blast testing all the latest and greatest, it is really great to have a 1DX in my hands again!
Greg

Nov 29, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rxgolf to your Buddy List
terminator

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: Nov 3, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Almost perfect. I am blown away by the quality of the photos.
Cons:
The power on/off button feels cheap for some reason when compared to former models. I always feel afraid that I am going to break it. The ISO button position is too close to the right edge of the body, making it almost impossible to press while having the hand strap installed. Fortunately I can redefine the set button to accomplish this. LCD often gives me a false impression that images are not in-focus. Poor dynamic range compared to Nikon/Sony's offerings. Battery performance is not on par with old models. Dual CF cards instead of SD cards.

Back to four-five years ago when I owned the legendary 1Ds Mark II camera, I was hoping that Canon would release a FF 1D serial body with 16MP and 2-3 stops better high ISO performance. Sadly, Canon answered me with the 21MP 1Ds Mark III, which sacrifices the ISO performance for the benefit of resolution. It is also slow, only 5 FPS. Then I turned to 1D Mark III, with less resolution, 1.3x crop, but better high ISO performance and much faster.

Years later, I got a chance to re-shoot a Canon FF 1D body again. I had had doubt of its high ISO performance before I pulled the trigger, given Canon's relatively disappointing track records in the past few years. Now I am pleased to report that this camera is in every aspect exceeding my expectation of image quality and speed.

I feel very comfortable to shoot at ISO 6400 or even higher, knowing that the noise is well under control. On the other side, I typically shoot only ISO 1600-2000 with the 1D Mark III.

The reduced resolution of 18MP is a bold move for Canon, but I applaud to Canon for this decision. I'd rather deal with smaller files with lower noise. And in exchange, we get higher FPS.

The second multi-controller button for vertical mode is brilliant. It was always a headache to choose AF point in vertical mode in the past.

The shortened shutter lag option is fantastic. It makes me feel confident while press the shutter button. Wink

Nov 3, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add terminator to your Buddy List
NinaS

Registered: Nov 13, 2005
Review Date: Aug 11, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $6,799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: High ISO performance FPS Auto Focus Image Quality ... WOW
Cons:
weight ... but I'm used to it now price ... but sooo worth it

- it took a bit to learn to compose using a full frame body, as my last 7 bodies were crop factors, in studio, quite the learning curve, which I did not see mentioned on any review sites

- after the initial size/weight shock, I was surprised how quickly I adjusted, and I handhold with 70-200 f/2.8 often with a 2x extender, sometimes use a 300 f/2.8 hand held ... all is good

- can't speak to the video, haven't learned how to use it yet

- I shoot indoor dog sports, try locking on & shooting a black dog moving at more than 30mph while at ISO 32000, f/2.8 & 1/640th ... this camera does it well ... always fast to focus and the image quality is ... well ... WOW!

Aug 11, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add NinaS to your Buddy List
speedmaster20d

Registered: Oct 19, 2009
Review Date: Jul 15, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $6,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: see my review below
Cons:
none for me

I am an avian photographer. I demand the best from my equipment and put it through the most challenging conditions. The 1DX excels technically and mechanically in most demanding situations for pros who want the absolute best that's available today.

see my review for the 1DX http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/eos-1dx-field-review-and-impressions/

Jul 15, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add speedmaster20d to your Buddy List
dkyeah

Registered: Dec 10, 2013
Review Date: Jul 9, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid, fast and accurate AF, low light IQ,
Cons:
Price, no headphone jack, batteries cost, silent shutter mode isn't very silent

Once you can forget about the price you just paid to get this camera, you can't say much except that this camera is awesome.

The body is built like a tank. In fact I even had a problem with one of my strap that "failed", and the camera dropped from my waist onto the ground. It still works and doesn't even have a scratch! So yes, the 1DX is very solid!!
The AF is great. It's fast, it's very accurate. I would just love if the points could be spread slightly wider in width and height. I still have to recompose some of my shots. Is the AF better than the 5D3? Well, in my opinion slightly. Not significantly though. It's probably due to its more "powerful" battery (which a crazy expensive btw!!).
The low light capabilities of this camera are part of why I bought it. ISO wise it's probably about 1 stop better than the 5D3. The AF also seem to hunt less in the same conditions (based on the past 10 weddings I did with both cameras). And last but not least, underexposed shots suffer less in post than those from the 5D3. You can do wonders in post with files from this camera!
I mostly shoot weddings, but I also do beauty and fashion work. Although this body isn't really meant to be used in studio, I find myself using the 1DX more than the 5D3. Some might find it stupid because the 5D has a great pixels count, is lighter and smaller. But… flash sync can go up to 1/250th instead of 1/200th. And did I tell you how much I love the files (color, contrast, grain, etc.) from this camera? I much prefer retouching files from the 1DX than those of the 5DIII.

On the bad side now. It costs a lot. Too much? I don't know. It gets the job done, that's what most important to us professional photographers. If it were 1-2k less than it's official retail price, I probably wouldn't have bought it from HK.
As I shoot some videos sometimes, I'd have loved if they could have put a headphone jack. Though I guess most people who own a 1DX can buy a 2nd camera that has a 3.5mm jack and probably don't shoot much video… That's what the 1DC is for, isn't it? Smile
Shooting weddings, I love the 5DIII for its silent mode. It is so useful for the ceremony and to get those candid shots from a very close distance. The 1DX is big, bulky and it has that very loud shutter… I love the sound of that shutter though, but it isn't the most discret one :/

Anyways, you can discover my recent work at http://quentindecaillet.com/categorie/mariages Most of the pictures are shot with a 1DX Wink

Jul 9, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dkyeah to your Buddy List
mentelfoto

Registered: Sep 3, 2013
Review Date: Sep 3, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is really the best Camera ever. I've a Cenon 5d3 and have the Canon 1ds3, but this camera is far, far ahead.... Its fast, very fast
Cons:

The best Camera i've ever had. I'm am lucky to have one, because its expensive. But if you have the opportunity: buy!
If you want to see some picture, go to http://www.mentel.nl and see for yourself. Almost all the pictures there are made with the 1dx. As a zwangerschapsfotografie and trouwfotograaf (pregnancy and wedding photographer) I'me very enthusiastic about this camera. Especially in difficult situations (no light) it operates very good. In ISO 6500 I easily make the nicest pictures.

Sep 3, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mentelfoto to your Buddy List
nick williams

Registered: Oct 11, 2004
Review Date: May 6, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Low light, focus speed, rear lcd.
Cons:
menu, cost

I have now had the chance to photograph a couple of weddings with the new camera having sold my 1D MKIV which i had for 3 years. The 1 DX is great camera to use and all the points that have been repeated many times on here about focusing and hi iso are all true. Is the camera perfect, well no but not far off. i don't like the new menu, it takes way to long to scroll from one section to the other. You can customise the my menu and save your favourites but only one set. With a camera which has so many settings a "my menu" one and two would be much better. I don't know if its just me but i find the ISO button to be set back a little to far and i find it awkward to use. No big problem as i have set the SET button on the back to change iso. The LCD screen is much sharper than the MKIV which i love.

To state all the things i love about this camera would take all day so with only a couple of negatives I'm sure this camera will last me longer than any other up to now. One last thing canon decided not to put any AF assist on the new STE 3 as their new cameras don't need it. Sorry canon they do. Even this camera will struggle in very low light like you get at a first dance.

May 6, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nick williams to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 1D X