Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD

1 989 May 14, 2020
100% of reviewers None indicated

Tamron all in one super zoom B028 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD lens.
Di, Digitally integrated
II, optimized for APS-C sensor
VC, Vibration Compensation
HLD, High/Low torque-modulated Drive

shooterdad

Registered: Feb 6, 2015
Review Date: May 14, 2020 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: . Largest zoom range . Consistent performance along the whole range . Lightest 400mm lens . Tap-in console compatible . Silent AF motor
Cons:
. Tuning at multiple focal lengths required . Lens creep

I got a Canon version and tested on my Sony A7R iii camera, so I skipped the challenging AF tuning on this wide range and super tele lens. The adapters used are Metabone smart adapter mark v and Sigma MC-11. Both working quite well, except that you can't obtain a confirmed focus use AF-C at the wide end. But AF-S works fine with both adapters.

You don't expect prime sharpness from this super zoom lens, I am pretty happy with the results. Wide open in all focal range, the center sharpness are all good to very good. Comparing to Sony 18-135 lens, it wins in 18mm all frame and 135mm center, there is only a small lag in center sharpness between 18mm and 135mm. The edge and corners are lagging more, can't catch up even stopped down. It may be copy variance, my copy of 18-135 is good at the middle range, and this lens is good at the 18 and 135. The best is at 200mm, it is close to excellent there. 300mm and 400mm are good wide open. Stopping down to f/8 make some improvement. In comparison, center/corner sharpness at 400mm/f8 is almost equal to Canon EF 70-300mm mark ii at 300mm/f5.6. I am very satisfied for 400mm and 18mm/f5.6. I believe when I bring this lens out, it's the both ends of the focal range that will be mostly used.

I tested in handheld only. Both adapters works better at the tele end. In the 35-100mm range I can get some blurry images occasionally. I can't tell it's my hand or the gears, but the tele end results are pretty consistent.

The Sony camera may not be good for birding because the small AF area is still too large, and easily blocked by the foreground branch or leaf. For the birds in the sky it also focuses quite slowly, travelling for a long journey and cannot confirm the focus when the target is far away and look small. I am considering to obtain the Tamron tap-in console and finally use it on a Canon DSLR.

In summary, the lens is in good to very good rating for most of the focal lengths. Comparing to the best consumer zoom lenses like Canon 70-300mm mark ii and Sony 18-135mm, the lens optical performance is only lower a little bit at the long end, lagged a bit more in 35-135mm corners. 400mm is very positive. As a lightest 400mm lens, I highly recommend this lens.

May 14, 2020