Nikon 85mm f/1.4D IF AF Nikkor

47 159913 Feb 1, 2021
1933NAS_180

High performance fast maximum aperture Nikkor telephoto lens
Internal focusing for fast AF operation
Rounded diaphragm makes out of focus elements appear more natural
Fast f/1.4 aperture is helpful in shooting indoor sports or stage productions

more info from Nikon

A fast f/1.4 aperture makes this lens a standout for sports photography and photojournalism. With Nikon's typical attention to details, its aperture has extra blades, enabling the diaphragm shape to be a near-perfect circle. This ensures crisper images and more flattering highlights in the out-of-focus portion of the image.

Note! AF not supported by D40 and D60 cameras.

Internal Focusing (IF) design

f/Stop Range 1.4-16
Minimum Focus Distance 3.0'
Magnification 1:8.8
Angle of View 28 Degrees
Length 3.2"
Maximum Diameter 3.1"
Weight 1.23 lb
Usable Nikon Teleconverter TC-201 or TC-14a (manual focus only)

karijoyful

Registered: Feb 1, 2021
Review Date: Feb 1, 2021 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: I love this portrait lens. It's my favorite, creating beautiful bokeh and great portraits, especially in harsh light. I love the compression of this lens and always have it on!
Cons:
I accidentally bump the meter ring often and it shows up as an error on my camera not allowing me to take a photo until i adjust it. Sometimes the focus is soft.

Feb 1, 2021
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add karijoyful to your Buddy List
Paul_K

Registered: Jul 22, 2010
Review Date: Mar 5, 2020 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Wonderful image rendering wide open, excellent (sharp) IQ when stopped down, built as a tank
Cons:
No AF on the Z6

Superb image rendering used wide open despite/thanks to the then ultra shallow DoF. Stopped down ultra sharp, excellent IQ.
Due to the 1.4 perhaps a little heavy for some (not me) but that's no issue when used handheld

Mar 5, 2020
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Paul_K to your Buddy List
BSPhotog

Registered: Mar 7, 2014
Review Date: Feb 22, 2018 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: It is just big enough to bludgeon someone with, but not so big that you don't want to bring it with you. Built like a tank, bokeh is somewhere between yummy and delicious. Stopped down, it is a really well behaved, sharp lens for studio portraits.
Cons:
It's biggest sins are lacking weather sealing and flare, but that is even debatable because it handles flare rather gracefully.

I've owned this lens for years and it was a bargain when I bought it. With the recent fast portrait glass released form Sigma and the updated Nikon 105E, the used prices of this legend are continuing to fall. If you like creamy goodness in your OOF areas and aren't afraid of an older AF-D design, this might be for you.

Feb 22, 2018
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BSPhotog to your Buddy List
esquire1954

Registered: Jun 23, 2015
Review Date: Feb 25, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $625.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Bokeh, build quality, reliability, bokeh, 1.4 ability...
Cons:
very little

The Nikon 1.4D is a very nice lens, when it hits critical focus it is sublime. Lack of weather sealing is not necessary for a portrait lens.

Feb 25, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add esquire1954 to your Buddy List
Mark K

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Jul 15, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,099.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, inexpensive, good bokeh
Cons:
Can be more contrasty

This is a one of a kind lens. When you want a fast 1.4 portrait for your new FF Nikon, this is the only original Nikon branded one.
Comparing to my new 85/1.4G, the only difference is colour and contrast.

Jul 15, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mark K to your Buddy List
f8andshowup

Registered: Jan 4, 2006
Review Date: Apr 23, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Incredible sharpness, excellent AF accuracy, near-perfect bokeh, lenses do not get much better than this.
Cons:
Longitudinal CA wide-open, not as well-built as the AF-D, sharpness can be a bit much for portraits

Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.4 G review:

I'm posting here because there is no other place to do it.

I love this lens. I tried the AF-D first, but found the focus to be just good, not great (even after AF fine-tuning). Also, there was the focus noise issue.

Everybody knows that this lens is one of Nikon's best for bokeh, probably second only to the 200mm f/2. The creamy backgrounds are unbelievable.

Another great feature of this lens is it's razor sharpness (yes, even more so with the new version). It the the sharpest Nikkor I have shot, besides the 300mm f/2.8 AF-S, which is saying a lot. On a tripod with a D800, you will see *everything* with this lens. When used for portraits, this lens will require lots of post processing on the skin, unless you subject is a baby.

This is one of those lenses that makes magic, but at a huge price.

Good news for those who can't afford this lens: The 85mm f/1.8 AF-S is about 90% as good, lacking only a little bit in smoothness of bokeh.

Apr 23, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add f8andshowup to your Buddy List
phiggys

Registered: Apr 7, 2004
Review Date: Apr 16, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, optical quality, it's simply a dream lens for portraits and weddings. This is my third copy if you include the MF Ais version I had. I started using a couple of zooms to lighten the load but there is something a little special about this lens. The opportunity came along to get another copy so I did a straight trade for a new Nikon AFS105mm f2.8 VR macro I had sitting in the cupboard. It simply produces quality and Bokeh to die for IMO.
Cons:
IMO nothing I still prefer it to my friends new AFS version.

Apr 16, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add phiggys to your Buddy List
paparazzinick

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Nov 12, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, colors
Cons:
heavy

This is one of my all time favorites in the nikon lens lineup. This lens is very fast and gives you a nice creamy background. A must have in your bag. I shoot weddings in Pittsburgh and this lens is used 50% of the time. I like a nice tight shot with creamy backgrounds. Check out some samples on my site taken with this lens. http://nbombichstudios.com

Nov 12, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add paparazzinick to your Buddy List
pc168

Registered: Mar 9, 2007
Review Date: Aug 17, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Pros: Excellent build quality with metal outer barrel and metal hood Excellent bokeh. Accurate AF even at wide open. Sharp at F1.4 and very sharp when stop down 1 to 2 f-stops. Not heavy and relatively portable.
Cons:
The M/A switch is the only thing that I dislike.

Comparing this pro grade lens against my 16-35 VR, the Nikon classical pro grade design (built like a tank) is better than the modern ones.

85mm is not limited to portrait. Stop down a little it can be a general purpose lens. Indeed I use it as my D700 kit lens.

Value for money when we compare it against the new G version.

Highly recommended!

Aug 17, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pc168 to your Buddy List
Digital Gold

Registered: Apr 17, 2011
Review Date: Apr 17, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: mega sharpness, great contrast, build quality, amazing bokeh.
Cons:
a bit soft wide open, expensive for an 85mm prime lens.

For weddings and portraits one of our photographers ALWAYS equipped with this bad boy. It's one of the sharpest lenses I own and it never disappoints. I've also used this lens for low light conditions like night time concert photography. It's our go to lens for shooting people.

To see some examples of photos taken with this lens please visit my website and photography blog: http://digitalgoldphotography.com

Feel free to reach out to me with any specific questions.

Apr 17, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Digital Gold to your Buddy List
dves

Registered: Jan 19, 2009
Review Date: Jun 6, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: 85 1.4 is a nice aspect
Cons:
shadow detail

I have used this lens extensively in available, flash, & fluorescent light. I have shot wedding, portrait, fashion & product with it. Wedding & portraiture it is fantastic as good as canon's 50mm f1.4 FD mount lenses which I have owned as well. It's one let down in comparison to my 50mm 1.4 summilux leica optics is in shadow rendering, there is a lot of missing data which is frustrating when shooting dark textures like hair & skin tone, so I sold it. I will try the Zeiss Makro-Planar 50mm f/2.

Jun 6, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dves to your Buddy List
84FJ60

Registered: Sep 20, 2005
Review Date: May 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Mystifying Bokeh
Cons:
Screwdriver autofocus

Without a doubt, this is the best portrait lens I've ever used. I also love it for indoor sports such as volleyball or basketball.

May 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add 84FJ60 to your Buddy List
Kliff

Registered: Nov 24, 2009
Review Date: Jan 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp from wide open,pleasant bokeh, accurate AF

Excellent lens for portraiture

Jan 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kliff to your Buddy List
jlnewland

Registered: Dec 12, 2009
Review Date: Dec 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Gorgeous bokeh, sharp without stopping down, renders great skin tones, small and light for a portrait lens, old-school perfection.
Cons:
Some color fringing in high-contrast transitions between dark and white. Love the metal hood, but it prevents the standard lens cap from seating firmly back on the lens. Once you shoot with this lens, though, you probably won't care.

I keep coming back to this lens for portraits. It really shines for work in an outdoor or non-studio environment, where the bokeh can really be appreciated. The smooth bokeh makes the subject really pop, and this lens has an almost magical touch with fine detail and skin tones. A classic that's worth every penny.

Dec 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jlnewland to your Buddy List
KrazyYak

Registered: Apr 26, 2006
Review Date: Oct 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Amazing sharpness, build quality, weight, bokeh. Balances perfectly on a D300.
Cons:
Slow to focus in certain situations.

This lens is fan-freaking-tastic for portraits. It throws the backgrounds into a very pleasing blur and keeps the subject super sharp. I've joked with my friends that they need to do a better job of cleaning their pores after retouching portraits of them.

It balances wonderfully on my D300, and I am usually hesitant to take it off.

Only downside is that it is quite slow to focus on quickly moving subjects (I suspect this is due to the older AF-D style focus drive). This is especially true for subjects moving towards you. By the time it focus and snaps the shutter, the subject has moved too much to remain in focus.

Oct 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add KrazyYak to your Buddy List
FatBoyAl

Registered: Sep 4, 2005
Review Date: Jul 28, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,025.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, f1.4, included metal hood, sharpness, IQ - everything!
Cons:
perhaps cost

What can I say that hasn't been said? It's a well-made, fast AF, excellent IQ addition to anyone's kit. Like my purchases of the 35/1.8 and 50/1.8, this was to complete my low-light glass to allow for a wedding for a friend. I'm so glad I agreed to do it.

This lens isn't cheap and despite it's age, it's difficult to find. I got a great deal on a refurb and I couldn't be happier. Like I said, it's built like a tank, comes with a metal hood and is just sharp sharp sharp. You gotta love it in low-light and even in great light. Some large aperture lenses are only sharp stopped down. Well, what's good about that?? This is great from 1.4 on and only gets better.

Worth it all the way around.

Jul 28, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FatBoyAl to your Buddy List

Nikon 85mm f/1.4D IF AF Nikkor