Nikon 300mm f/4E PF ED VR AF-S Nikkor

Focal Length: 300mm
APS Equivalent: 450mm
Max Aperture: f/4
Min Aperture: f/32
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 16 elements in 10 groups; including 1 Aspherical, 1 PF (Phase Fresnel), and 1 ED element; Nano Crystal Coat
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 8.2 degrees
Focus Details: Internal focusing with Silent Wave motor; A/M / M/A / M switch
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: n/a
Closest Focus: 1.4m / 4.6 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.24x / 1:4.2
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 147.5mm x 89mm / 5.8 in. x 3.5 in.
Weight: 755g / 26.6 oz
Notes: Image Stabilized (4.5 stops); Included Accessories: CL-M3 case, HB-73 hood, front and rear lens caps

Gary Dellabiti

Registered: Jul 7, 2022
Review Date: Jul 29, 2022 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good
Jul 29, 2022
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gary Dellabiti to your Buddy List
Gary Dellabiti

Registered: Jul 7, 2022
Review Date: Jul 7, 2022 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

I love cameras. Thank you for this post. I found it helpful.

Jul 7, 2022
WhiteOakAnimal

Registered: Feb 21, 2022
Review Date: Feb 21, 2022 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The look is good
Cons:
It's a bit heavy

This is a very good lens, but it looks so heavy on me, However if your cat is having some health issues like UTI you can visit us here https://whiteoakvet.com/how-to-treat-a-cat-uti-at-home/ this will help you a lot

Feb 21, 2022
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add WhiteOakAnimal to your Buddy List
sandySPrings

Registered: Oct 6, 2021
Review Date: Oct 6, 2021 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: This is perfect when you need to get close with the action.
Cons:
It has a delayed focus sharpening to edges and center.

Oct 6, 2021
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sandySPrings to your Buddy List
vdrwarren

Registered: Aug 3, 2021
Review Date: Aug 4, 2021 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: I love this camera a lot!
Cons:
Just little bit heavy

Nikon cameras have been trusted by photographers and picture takers of every caliber for their enduring performance.

Aug 4, 2021
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add vdrwarren to your Buddy List
hatch1921

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: Feb 13, 2021 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Small Lightweight Fast focus F/4 Color/contrast are great! Takes teleconverters really well.
Cons:

This is one you want to have in your camera bag, it's an amazing lens, well worth the money.

Feb 13, 2021
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hatch1921 to your Buddy List
Steve201

Registered: Jan 20, 2016
Review Date: Jan 16, 2020 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,900.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Loved the weight a stabilizer.
Cons:
The boke to me was very nervous, and the background looks pail Or washed out on the samples I have seen. I ordered it and after comparing this to my 300 afs f4 300 I had to send it back. Would advise looking and compare first. The images on my afs Just have a pop this on did not, maby bad copy.

Mainly just my negative comments. It was hard to send back ,I just get a better image from my afs fr 300 .better color ,detail,
And boke.

Jan 16, 2020
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Steve201 to your Buddy List
Jay968

Registered: Mar 28, 2011
Review Date: Oct 21, 2018 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, compact, easy to use, and well built. Bad image stabilizer.
Cons:
Lacks contrast and needs a good deal of post processing to take advantage of what it can offer.

I've tried 3 copies of this lens since it was first introduced. At first, due to its weight and size, I felt that this lens was one of the reasons to own Nikon. Eventually though, I became aware that images lacked contrast and needed a good amount of post processing to make this lens produce good images. Otherwise, my old 180mm F2.8D lens trumps it by a big margin. I'd recommend that anyone considering it, be aware that it may take some effort to get it to really shine. Once that effort is made, it produces some very nice images.

Nikon had a firmware update to correct some stabilization issues but that proved to be marginal at best as it does not do a good job at some shutter speeds

Oct 21, 2018
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jay968 to your Buddy List
Shantaram

Registered: Aug 25, 2016
Review Date: Aug 25, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

Thanks guys for useful information! I was looking for it
192.168.l.l

Aug 25, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Shantaram to your Buddy List
JackJames

Registered: Dec 9, 2015
Review Date: Dec 9, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,999.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: lightweight, sharpness
Cons:
nothing so far

My copy of this lens was one of the very first S/N's to be delivered from B&H after the so-called firmware fix. The VR appears to work successfully at all shutter speeds. I have looked for a concern with the VR however can not. I am utilizing it with a D800 and 800E so obviously much faster speeds are constantly much better, but the VR seems as good as any of my other lens. I also have the 300mm 2.8 VR along with the 500mm f4 VR both which I think about to be exceptional to utilize as a contrast. The 300 f4 E PF is a very great lens, exactly what I was searching for. It's so lightweight I was surprised when I first used it. It is a really sharp lens and in my viewpoint equivalent with the 300mm f2.8 and 500mm f4. I do wild animals photography and have discovered this to be my "go to" lens as it is so simple to make use of without my tripods or even a monopod. However my shots with the big glass on the tripods are still normally better total and I think the contrast and color are much better with the 300 2.8 and 500. I have actually discovered problems with the Phase Fresnel under particular lighting conditions not just seeing the circular color ghost however have actually even observed the circular look of the Fresnel itself covering a big part of the image. Nevertheless these issues are not typical at all and Nikon alerts of this possibility. The construct quality is not as good as other professional lens of the exact same physical size like the 24-70 2.8. I can live with that for the weight cost savings. I can hike with it on my side and get a quick shot that I would miss totally with the huge glass due to set up time. Just to note its much better than the 28 -300 VR and the 70 -300 VR at 300mm. It also works well with the TC-14E III however it does take a slight hit in AF speed. I have actually not attempted the 1.7 or 2.0 on it. All in all my copy is a terrific lens. I have not sold my 2.8 and it is better in total image and construct quality. I find I am not utilizing it much at all now and will go for the 500mm when needed and I have time.

Dec 9, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JackJames to your Buddy List
AiryM

Registered: Jul 10, 2015
Review Date: Jul 11, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Size, weight, even sharpness, no obvious aberrations, snappy AF
Cons:
Dubious stabilization. Sharpness on D800 less convincing. Price.

This lens leaves me with mixed feelings. It is a good match for the Df in terms of size and weight. IQ is very good, despite a lower contrast than most other teles. This can easily be corrected in PP. Also, focus tracking in AF mode works excellently.

The stabilizer is more problematic. I'd use it at speeds > 1/250s for visual comfort, or squarely use manual mode and force 1/30s, in which case I get a very high % of sharp pics on fixed subjects. In between, results are unpredictable, despite the camera being a Df and the lens a later copy with updated firmware. Better use "quiet" mode and shoot several shots in a row. I have never seen that with the 70-200 for instance.

On D800, I used it only once or twice, and was not overwhelmed by the sharpness. I guess the sensor outresolves it.

Nevertheless it is a very useful lens. I nailed a few concert shots with it, although its main use is the capture of details of static subjects when tripods are not an option.

Jul 11, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AiryM to your Buddy List

Nikon 300mm f/4E PF ED VR AF-S Nikkor