533 966888 Nov 9, 2022
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

JAlexander

Registered: Jul 17, 2008
Review Date: Apr 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Versatile focal range, Fast, Sharp
Cons:
Would be even more amazing if it had IS

This lens is my favorite as the focal range is most versatile and the f/2.8 makes it fast enough for most situations. I have found it to produce beautiful photos on both my Canon 5d Mark II and my 7d. I use it for portraits, landscapes, just about everything . . . it is a great walk around lens. This will be the one lens I will keep as long as I have Canon DSLR cameras.

Apr 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JAlexander to your Buddy List
azolbs

Registered: Oct 23, 2009
Review Date: Mar 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Versatility, colors, sharpness
Cons:
Heavy, but well worth it when you look at the IQ it produces

I upgraded to a fullframe (5DII) and this lens at the same time.

I loved the versatility for street photography/portraits. It was all I really used for 2 weeks travelling in India.

www.alexzolbert.com (First shot taken on the long end of a 70-200 - essentially all the rest with the 24-70)

The colors, the sharpness, the overall image quality really pleased. (We've all heard the reports of bad copies, but I certainly haven't had any issues)

I can see this lens staying on my camera for quite a long time.

Yes, a bit heavy. But I can deal. Yes, expensive. But I found it to be worth every penny.

Mar 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add azolbs to your Buddy List
gazzajagman

Registered: Apr 26, 2006
Review Date: Mar 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It's just SO versatile on a FF camera
Cons:
It's heavy for what it is....even Sigma's version is lighter (and they make heavy lenses).

This is quite simply the most versatile f2.8 lens there is...period. It's short MFD allows you to get really nice portraits with great thin DOF. At the wide end, who really needs more than 24mm for every day work?
It's built like a tank and it's a bit over-heavy as a result.
The hood is great, because this lens is short at 70mm and long / extended at 24mm, the hood really works very well at both the focal ends.
Colours and contrast rival primes and other L lenses, this is my most used lens. Worth every penny!

Mar 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gazzajagman to your Buddy List
Zack11

Registered: Jul 24, 2009
Review Date: Mar 19, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality, sharp, solid, all around lens!
Cons:

Determinately recommended lens. Don't even think about the price, you will appreciate your decision after the first shot.

Mar 19, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Zack11 to your Buddy List
Valerie S

Registered: Jul 11, 2006
Review Date: Mar 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Beautiful colors, sharpness wide open, wonderful bokeh
Cons:

When I went from a crop body to a 1D3, I sold my 17-55/2.8 IS and bought the 24-70/2.8. I had rented the lens and always loved it's bokeh and wonderful color reproduction. I've never regretted it, just need a 16-35/2.8 now too Smile

It can be a little tiresome as a walkaround sometimes, but I'll han g around with my 70-200/2.8 IS for amday or two, and then the n24-70 seems light.

I got to choose between a few copies. Mine is sharp wide open, which is how I use it 99% of the time.

Mar 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Valerie S to your Buddy List
stephix72

Registered: Jan 27, 2010
Review Date: Mar 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,029.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, build quality, overall sharpness
Cons:

This lens is considered my favorite all-round workhorse on my Canon 7D. I would recommend it for several occassion (except for wide angle - photography like landscape ).

Done some shooting in indoor/low light as well as outdoor sunny, I got very sharp photos and nice image quality.

Seems I got a 'good' copy regarding the last reviews.

Mar 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stephix72 to your Buddy List
fairtex

Registered: Jun 28, 2009
Review Date: Mar 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp!, IQ, built-quality, range, constant f2.8...
Cons:
price

Yes, the 24-70 is bulky and expensive. But if you're using it on a bigger camera like a xxD with BG or a xD, I think the size and weight actually becomes handy.
It is still more expensive than lenses like the EF-S 17-55 and way more expensive than the Tamron 17-50 but the EF 24-70 is also sharper (!), has a way better build quality, is wheather-sealed and (of course) can be used on fullframe bodies.

I think the zoom range is very versatile (maybe a bit too long on the 24mm end on a 1.6 x body) and the IQ is as good as it gets for a zoom.
I especially like the hood design: the lens is longest at 24mm, where the front end protrudes into the hood and shortest at 70mm, where the hood offers maximum protection from flare.
Besides the hood, the 24-70mm 2.8 also comes with a nice lense-pouch.
Strongly recommended.

Mar 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fairtex to your Buddy List
Chimp

Registered: Feb 17, 2010
Review Date: Feb 17, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality
Cons:

After two weeks of regular use, I can say that I'm very happy with it. It's good. I haven't strapped anything on since receiving it (yet) - it has a very useful range.

I was a bit apprehensive prior to buying the lens - and that is only because I read up on the lens. I even rented and borrowed prior to buying and can't fault any of them. I should have started with this lens instead of going the circuitous route of 28-75, Sigma 24-70 and finally the Canon 24-70 - and saved myself the time and tears.

Weight? I ain't complaining - image quality is everything. You don't buy a Ferarri for the comfortable seats...

Feb 17, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chimp to your Buddy List
erikburd

Registered: Feb 3, 2010
Review Date: Feb 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,275.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like a tank. Very sharp pictures. Excellent and very quiet auto-focus, even in low light. The color is simply incredible.
Cons:
Price could be a bit lower, but you're paying for that f2.8 aperture. The lens is heavy, but not *that* bad.

This is my first L lens. I've been very happy with it. The zoom range is very versatile for my needs, and pretty much covers about 90% of the shots that I take.

I take a lot of low light and indoor pictures, so that f2.8 makes all the difference.

The pictures are simply incredible - I'm seeing details that really come out. They're all tack sharp with vivid color. It's easy to see why so many professionals use this lens. This is definitely a "must have" lens, even though it's a little expensive.

Get a neoprene camera strap, as this will take some of the weight off and make it feel considerably lighter. Your neck will thank you.

Feb 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add erikburd to your Buddy List
Jay Adeff

Registered: Feb 27, 2004
Review Date: Feb 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build quality. Sharp.
Cons:
Big, heavy, & expensive.

I bought this lens to replace my broken Tamron 28-75. This lens has had a reputation for spotty quality control so I was a bit hesitant. I bought a new copy and found it to be very sharp, even at f/2.8. The AF is fast and accurate on my 1D-MkII. If price, weight, and size are an issue, go for the Tamron. If you want the best lens overall, get the Canon.

Feb 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jay Adeff to your Buddy List
mmari

Registered: Mar 20, 2008
Review Date: Jan 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,087.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: built quality, AF speed
Cons:
AF inaccuracy (+5 backwards on microadjust of 5D Mark II), not sharp wide open

read above...

Jan 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mmari to your Buddy List
danob

Registered: Mar 15, 2005
Review Date: Jan 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is one of the best lens I own razor sharp and compares well in it's zoom range with a few primes I have
Cons:
Tad on the heavy side and the reverse zoom takes a little time to get used to

Jan 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add danob to your Buddy List
badmongo

Registered: Jan 27, 2006
Review Date: Jan 22, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Love the quality of the photos
Cons:
None negative.

Bought this lens when i was on vacation in US spring 2008. I am very happy about it. On my 350D I change about this lens and the 10-22.
It's very sharp. Just want to get a newer/better camera now, so i can see the real potential of this lens.

Jan 22, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add badmongo to your Buddy List
recordproducti

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Jan 8, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: $899.00

Pros: Very sharp, great contrast, f/2.8, excellent AF
Cons:
A bit heavy but not *that* heavy

I sold my last copy a year ago and missed it so have recently got a new one. I have to say that it's a wonderful lens, it's AF is fast and spot on, it's sharp and produces almost prime like quality images.

I reckon it's one of Canon's best value lenses.

Jan 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add recordproducti to your Buddy List
pho7ographer

Registered: Sep 17, 2009
Review Date: Jan 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Great Bokeh, Quick & Quiet Focus
Cons:
Heavy, Mis-Calibrated Autofocus (Battery Test/Back Focus Test), Low Light performance not as good as prime lens, UV Filter overpriced

This was my first Canon L Lens purchase and had very high expectations for its performance.

Current inventory: Canon 50 1.8 & Canon 18-200EFS 3.5-5.6

The 18-200 is half the price of the 24-70L and at similar focal lengths the 18-200 came out on top on what I thought was a 'sharpness' factor (details of back focusing below). As for depth the 24-70L and wide aperture was very noticeable. Also nice bokeh.

Shooting within the 1m range of the subject, the 24-70mm was solid, but realistically I am not going to be that close to my subjects for all my shots especially at 70mm.

Results of my battery test:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/philiphoang/4257634136/sizes/o/">Battery Test</a>

Shooting 1m+ of the subject and at 70mm. The batteries are stacked at roughly 2 inches and 45 degrees to the next. This shot was taken roughly 1.5m away from the center subject (#4). The focus is subtle, but you can read the fine print on #5 as compared to the center. In fact, #6 (though not shown in 100% zoom) is slightly sharper than #4 as well.

For $1250, I was hoping for quality performance and quality control. Take my review with a grain of salt, I've talked to much more experienced photographers who have all told me their 24-70mm is a gift from heaven. I hope my next copy will yield better results.

Jan 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pho7ographer to your Buddy List
Olivier6

Registered: Jan 1, 2010
Review Date: Jan 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, light sensitivity, build quality
Cons:
weight, size, price

It lives on my 5D MK2. It is heavy, and big, and pricey... But it is also stunningly sharp and versatile. What can I say: it it the choice of many, many professionals all over the world. And the results speak for themselves.

If you want to use a state-of-the-art, best-in-class lens. This is your choice. If you are looking for a light, less pricey option, search further. This will definitely not be your choice.

Jan 1, 2010