Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

Focal Length: 55 - 250mm
APS Equivalent: 1.6x: 88 - 400mm
Max Aperture: f/4 - 5.6
Min Aperture: f/22 - 32
Diaphragm Blades: 7 (circular)
Lens Construction: 15 elements in 12 groups, with 1 UD element
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 27.8 to 6.3 degrees
Focus Details: Rear focusing with Stepping Motor (STM); Full-time manual focus available
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 0.85m / 2.79 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.29x / 1:3.4 (at 250mm)
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 111.2mm x 70mm / 4.4 in. x 2.8 in.
Weight: 375g / 13.2 oz.
Notes: Image Stabilization with up to 3.5 f-stops of correction; EF-S lens mount, exclusively for bodies with APS-C sensors.
Online Price: US$350 (Nov 2013)

PicGuy

Registered: May 27, 2005
Review Date: Sep 9, 2020 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $125.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build quality, very good sharpness and IQ, punches way above its price point
Cons:
AF is not the best for focus speed

I bought this lens to use with the SL2 camera body to keep size/weight down for carrying around on the camera or in a bag. I didn't expect much from a lens I bought used for $125 but I have been very pleasantly surprised. It has more than met my expectations and is easy to carry, hand hold shoot and does a decent job focusing accurately. The IQ is good and I find most short comings in this regard can be mitigated during post processing. Where I was really surprised is just how sharp this lens is at about any aperture and focal length. Also, the image stabilization of this lens is excellent.

While this is not a replacement for an "L" lens it gets me much closer to one than I should be considering I paid $125 for it. The trade-off for its minor shortcomings is I have a lens that is small and lightweight. I can carry this lens in a jacket pocket or it fits easily into a small bag. If I have a complaint it would be that the AF is not the quickest but it is accurate. Just don't expect to be nailing focus consistently on faster moving subjects.

Sep 9, 2020
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PicGuy to your Buddy List
akustyk

Registered: Apr 26, 2011
Review Date: Jan 28, 2018 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: inexpensive, size and weight spot on for a Rebel body and this focal range, good shapness until some 180mm
Cons:
lack of microcontrast

this lens is a bit similiar story to 18-55 STM. it hits the sweetest spot of size and weight for this focal range - just enough heavy for good handholdability, not too heavy to not want to carry it around. sharpness is very fine until around 180mm, past that it drops but stopped down to f/7.1 remains very usable. AF is fast enough and works great with LV focusing.

at 1:1 this lens does slightly suffer from lacking microcontrast - it seems sharp... until you compare it to a decent L tele lens. like many tele zooms it can also hurt from veiling when shooting against the sun, and the lens hood doesn't always help to aleviate this.

in the end it's a very inexpensive tele zoom well tailored for the bigger Rebels. nothing wrong about the image quality and size/weight for this price point

Jan 28, 2018
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add akustyk to your Buddy List
wabbey

Registered: Nov 18, 2016
Review Date: Dec 31, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $125.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: lightweight, small size, CHEAP, great IS, Quiet, fast focus
Cons:
slow lens

I bought this lens practically new for 125 dollars. When I tested it I was blown away. this lend is really sharp! almost silent focusing, fast and accurate. I plan to use this a lot on my old 40D. great lens if you are on a budget. I plan to get the 15-85 also to complete my travel kit. The IS is great and if you dont use a tripod much this lens is perfect. highly recommend.

Dec 31, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wabbey to your Buddy List
Jeriann3

Registered: Mar 19, 2003
Review Date: Jul 16, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $130.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, responsive and excellent zoom range. Get great reach with image stabilizaton on a lens easy to walk around with
Cons:
None, does have plastic mount but haven't found any drawbacks

I had a chance to pick up this lens from Canon USA's website as a refurb, at a price I couldn't pass up. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the images obtained with this lens on my 7D mkii! I own two very excellent L lenses in the telephoto range, the 100-400 mk i, and 500 L f4. Of course this small lens can't match the rendition of those lenses or work as well in low light, but I don't always want to haul the larger, heavier lenses out if I want to stroll at a Zoo, or sit on my back porch photographing birds and butterflys - in those cases, this little STM lens fits the bill very nicely! The zoom range on a crop sensor puts you in great telephoto photography ranges, and as a closeup lens as well for insects, butterflys and flowers

I was also interested in this lens after reading reviews that it's a great lens with the stepping motor for shooting video footage, something I often do and the reviews were spot on. You cannot hear any IS or lens zooming, focusing noise whatsoever and this lens will probably be dedicated to video capture of nature and wildlife footage. Anyway, if you have a chance to acquire one, you won't be disappointed!

Jul 16, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jeriann3 to your Buddy List
bmwrider75

Registered: Feb 9, 2008
Review Date: Mar 23, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Incredibly sharp, incredibly light and small, great colour, AF accurate
Cons:
Feels light and cheap (obviously)

Just bought this on a whim after picking up an SL1 kit, and it was 50% off.

I was simply blown away by the sharpness, colour rendition, and quality of this lens. It is so phenomenally small and light for the range, that if you don't need f/2.8, it's hard to imagine a better compromise.

This lens won't be leaving my kit!

dc

Mar 23, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bmwrider75 to your Buddy List
Stan O.

Registered: Jan 15, 2015
Review Date: Jan 15, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $299.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light Sharp Good Value for money
Cons:
None yet

Just picked up this lens today. Experimental shots all showed good sharpness.

Jan 15, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stan O. to your Buddy List
grueber34

Registered: Jan 10, 2011
Review Date: Jul 24, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, overall performance
Cons:
Wish it were "faster"

Took this lens with me on an Antarctica trip, coupled to a 70D most of the time, and found the combination excellent. The equivalent focal length of 90-400 was perfect for picking out subjects from a bobbing Zodiac, and the weight was never an issue climbing in and out of the boat. Very impressed with the results from this unheralded little gem. I have also heard that the previous non-STM is just as good optically. Do not hesitate in trying this out, and ignore whatever you may hear about the plastic mount - it works and functions beautifully.

Jul 24, 2014