Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED NIKKOR AF-S

66 200620 May 19, 2021
224-70

Constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 at all focal lengths
Enhanced optical formulas, engineered to produce exceptional sharpness, contrast and color, render outstanding image integrity
ED (Extra-low dispersion) glass elements minimize chromatic aberration to deliver stunning sharpness and contrast
Aspherical lenses including large-diameter PGM element eliminate various types of lens aberration even at the widest aperture
Nano Crystal Coat virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections, effectively reducing ghosting and flare
High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating offers superior color reproduction, while minimizing ghosting and flare
IF (Internal Focusing) enables focusing without changing the length of lens barrel
Nikon’s exclusive Silent Wave Motor for fast, quiet autofocus operation
Rounded diaphragm opening (9 blades) makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
M/A mode enables instant switching from autofocus to manual focus, even during AF servo operation, with virtually no time lag
Dedicated flower-shaped lens hood effectively minimizes stray light
Lens barrel is built for comfortable holding while featuring a rugged design; zoom and focusing rings provide smooth operation
______________________________

Focal length: 24-70 mm
Maximum aperture: f/2.8
Minimum aperture: f/22
Lens construction: 15 elements in 11 groups (with 3 ED glass elements, 3 aspherical lenses and one Nano Crystal Coat)
Picture angle: 84° - 34°20’ (61° - 22°50’ with DX-format camera)
Closest focus distance: 0.38 m/1.2 ft. (with focal length 35-50 mm
Maximum reproduction ratio: 1/3.7
No. of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded)
Filter/attachment size: 77 mm
Focusing: Internal Focusing (IF) system; autofocus with a built-in SWM and manual focus
Diameter x length
(extension from lens mount): Approx. 83 x 133 mm/3.3 x 5.2 in.
Weight: Approx. 900 g/31.7 oz.
Supplied accessories: Bayonet Hood HB-40, Semi-soft Case CL-M3

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5

Marco

Registered: Jan 21, 2002
Review Date: Jan 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp corner to corner, especially from 35mm to 70mm. It renders images with very pleasing bokeh and 3D look. Very nice to handle despite the weight and dimensions.
Cons:
Sometimes for perfect sharpness at 24-28mm it's better to focus at 70mm and zoom back. Some distortion.

I love this lens.
Images are crisp with a sense of presence I've rarely seen in a zoom.
It easily surpasses my 35-70/2.8 at any aperture and my 17-35/2.8 at wider apertures. The 17-35 at 24mm though is slightly better when stopped down past f/8.
Flare is well controlled, although not totally absent.
It handles nicely and it actually seems smaller/lighter than it really is.

I noticed that at 24-28mm sometimes the focus isn't precise (on my previous D200 and now on the D3, although to a lesser extent), so it's better, on my sample at least, to focus at 70mm and zoom back.
Another drawback is some distortion. While easily correctable in postprocessing, it shouldn't be here in a lens of this caliber.
If it wasn't for the focus issue and distortion, I'd rate it 10+.
I gave a 9 because there's always room for improvements.

Jan 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Marco to your Buddy List
hbillsmith

Registered: Apr 24, 2005
Review Date: Dec 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compared to 28-70: Sharper, Lighter and eerily quiet AF
Cons:
Cost

Please excuse the misc commentary but I find these types of reviews helpful if I can understand where the reviewer is coming from.

Moved from a D200, 17-55, 28-70, 18-200 to the D300, 24-70, 18-200. I really liked the 17-55 but found the tele reach just a little too short. I like the 28-70 but it was so heavy and the wide end was almost but not quite wide enough. When I upgraded to the D300 I re-bought the 18-200 for a light travel lens and I'm filling the pro end with a 70-200 2.8 VR (I had the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS and I miss it). I took a chance that the 24-70 2.8 would hit my sweet spot. What a great decision that was. I don't miss the 17-55 at all.

The 24-70 is an incredible lens. From a sharpness perspective, it's sharper than the 17-55 and wide open it's even sharper than my previous little champ the 50mm 1.8. Autofocus is incredible. It's so quiet that at first I thought it wasn't working but a check in the viewfinder confirmed it works absolutely perfect.

The lens is still a little heavy like the 28-70 but the barrel diameter is smaller so it just feels better in my hand. The front element still protrudes somewhat on tele (unlike those where all the lens movement remains hidden) but it's not bad. On my D300 I get a full frame equivalent 36-105 (as opposed to the old 28-70's 42-105) and for me it's perfect.

The fact that this is not a DX lens makes it a bonus if you believe like I do that eventually, everything will move to full frame. Lastly, if I do decide that I want more wide, I'll get the 12-24, but I honestly doubt it will come to that. If you think the D300 and D3 were incredible camera's you are in for an equally big surprise when you see what a great lens the 24-70 2.8 is.

Dec 20, 2007