Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II

DIGIC II
E-TTL II flash system
Wide ISO speed range
Weather resistant magnesium body
Dual performance memory card slots
LCD with 230k pixels
<a target=_blank href=http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=10598>More info...</a>

carlsbadbum

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 1987
Review Date: Sep 4, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Full Frame, all my L lenses love it.
Cons:
Size and weight. It would be perfect if it was the size & weight of the EOS 1V.

This is my first DSLR, and I love it.
I wanted this back in 2004 but it was way out of my price range, now it is more affordable to own a 1 series FF DSLR.

I got this one last week with less then 10K clicks, come with box and most acc. still in plastic wrap. The guy said it was mint but to me it looks like I bought it new in 2004.

Since I don't have any CF cards I upgraded the firmware to the latest release so now it'll take SDHC memory cards. I can't think of any negative issue on the camera, so get one and you'll be glad when you did.

Sep 4, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add carlsbadbum to your Buddy List
tyreman

Registered: Mar 14, 2008
Review Date: Sep 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent Images possible Plethora of settings and CF's abound.
Cons:
A bit heavy.....but hey its all there. Don't hang the 1DsMII around the neck for long!!

This camera is indeed a quality product capable of VERY good images.

While some might lament on the the age of the camera now since its inception I would pass those comments off with a wave of the hand!!

This camera is a real bargain today and may remain so for a few years yet.

Sep 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tyreman to your Buddy List
joezasada

Registered: Feb 24, 2005
Review Date: Aug 25, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredible image quality, high resolution, full frame sensor, excellent auto focus, big viewfinder, build quality
Cons:
heavy, large file sizes, slow frame rate

This body is excellent. Got mine used. Works great for studio work, events such as weddings, and has the AF needed to do sports. With current prices it may just be the best value (price/capability) dSLR on the market. If you have a chance to get one, do it! You won't be dissapointed.

*goes good alongside a 1D Mark II for when you need those faster frame rates.

Aug 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add joezasada to your Buddy List
PHIL TRITES

Registered: Feb 28, 2007
Review Date: Jun 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: This is the full frame I was wanting for some time. It will be hard to top this choice for a dual card, ease of use dual position shooting, and solid water proof design if caught out on the race track.
Cons:
Sure, it's beefed weight when attached to 300mm f2.8 IS will keep most billy goats at lower altitude, but it's what we expected and need.

Aside from all previous reviews/
I wished the menu system wasn't multi dexterity compared to the 30D.

On the fly adjustments on the job need the ability to quickly rewind some mental memory footage, so the learning curve can escape if left in the bag over time vs used everyday.

Now the wish list of custom functions.
It would be helpful if a compiled best of was listed for most situations.

As for tack sharp with L glass, I'd have to say it's maybe operator error, but I was hoping for better than 50/50.
I'm about to have club member take my gear and test the outcome.

I do use reading glasses, but not while shooting. What I think is spot on manually prior to shutter action can be disappointing.

Jun 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add PHIL TRITES to your Buddy List
SAUMBI

Registered: Nov 22, 2005
Review Date: May 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, auto focus, battery life, build quality,
Cons:
????????? I don't think there are any!!!!

i have been very surprised by the quality of every canon digital I ever bought, long ago S400 , then rebel, then a 10D real surprise, a few years later a 30D wow, then my first 1 series, a very mint 1D, -, -, but when I tested this 1DS MKII i COULD HAVE NEVER IMAGINED THE JUMP IN IMAGE QUALITY IN EVERY ASPECT!!!!!!!!!!

I have been waiting for a clean used copy as the prices kept dropping, I found this one with 3,864 clicks, from a very reputable seller, when it came it was like opening a new camera, all the manuals software and cables were still in there sealed bags!!! WOW I was amazed!!

Then the next day I put my 24-70mm L 0n it to try the girl out, I new this was a good copy of the lens with my 1D, and 30D but man!! THIS THING IS BEYOND MY ABILITY TO DESCRIBE IT!!

I have always thought the 1D files were simply beyond what should be possible from a 4 megapixel camera, but DUDE 17 MP and unbelievable accuracy!!!!!!!! There is no way to describe the images from this camera, maybe perfect! I am not being hasety but this is the end of the road for me, I am an advanced amature shooting with top of the line slr's for over 35 years and I know there is no reason to ever need a camera with more resolution than this. The solid rugged weather sealing and oh so natural look of the images is ---- is----- is, did I say unbelievable, cause it is unbelievable!!!

I really don't, with my imagination know what more one could ask for, expect or want!! I am in total bliss!!! I don't want a lighter version or smaller, with the large L series lenses this camera is so balenced and ergonomic it is unbelievable, even over the 1D.

Please do yourself a favor and buy one of these, they are to the point I cant believe people are selling them so cheap, I would not have believed you could buy this type of performance for so little-----IT IS THAT GOOD------------- GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRREEEEEAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT!!!!

May 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SAUMBI to your Buddy List
Jman13

Registered: May 1, 2005
Review Date: Apr 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredible image quality, wonderfully accurate AF, beautiful, large bright viewfinder, rugged build
Cons:
Two handed operation?

Best deal in DSLRs right now. I got an incredible deal on a high mileage, but excellent condition one from eBay. Works perfectly. The images are so detailed, with beautiful tone gradation, and great dynamic range. Almost two stops of data is available for highlight recovery in RAW. Noise is well controlled and is usable all the way to ISO 3200.

Autofocus is dead on accurate...It almost never misses when I do my job...even in low light with shallow DOF. Spot on every time. The viewfinder is very big (approaching the size of some of the older manual focus only SLRs of the 70s and 80s) and very bright, even with slower lenses. The camera is wonderfully responsive and the metering is exceptional....much more accurate than my 30D.

The two handed settings changing is a little odd, but I'm used to it by now. The LCD is also a little smaller than I'm used to, but at 2", it's large enough. Ultimately, it's all about the images, and the 1DsII produces images that have a very special quality to them. Basically, I know that any failings in an image are because of me, not the camera, and I'll be keeping this for a LONG time.

With prices the way they are now, this is the steal of the century. While most won't get them for what I paid, it's a steal even at $2300. It's practically imaging perfection.

Apr 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jman13 to your Buddy List
mspringfield

Registered: Nov 1, 2003
Review Date: Dec 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, AF speed, IQ, Low Noise at High ISO, beautiful colors.
Cons:
Smallish LCD if you want to nit pick.

I picked up this camera used a fow months ago intending to use it as a backup to my 1DMkII. However the image quality and extremely rich colors that come out of this camera has made it my primary camera and relegated my 1DMkII to backup duties. It is without a doubt one of the finest, it not THE finest cameras that I have ever owned or used.

Dec 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mspringfield to your Buddy List
baumgarten0712

Registered: Oct 12, 2008
Review Date: Dec 27, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: $2,400.00

Pros: AF, Metering, Build, IQ, Shutter Response, ISO
Cons:
LCD

I picked up this camera used about 2 months ago and continue to be amazed. I started with the Rebel XT, then upgraded to the 40D, and now this camera. I have also been able to compare this camera to the 5D and 5D Mark II. My thoughts.........

This camera has superb AF ability. When tested against the 40D & 5D II (newer technology), the 1Ds II is superior - no questions asked! While the 40D had a 6.5 fps capability, the 1Ds II has a 4 fps capability. It is much slower than the 40D, but the AF makes up for the slower speed. The 1Ds II has an amazing shutter response time. I had no idea how slow the Rebel and 40D were in response time. When you want to take the picture, it happens! I find that this helps when hand holding lenses without IS at slow speeds. The LCD screen is lacking, but I just use the histogram when shooting. The 1Ds II also has some locking features that one has to get used to. You have to hold down buttons to get around the camera menu/settings. I wasn't sure when I tried the camera out, but I am now flying through it without problems. I can adjust settings very quickly now. The build quality of the 1Ds II is simply awesome! If you pick it up, you won't want to put it down. It has a solid feel. As for ISO results, I tested this camera against the 5D II. I would give the 5D II a stop advantage (maybe a little more) over the 1Ds II. However, the noise with the 1Ds II is very smooth, even at 3200. I have printed 16 x 20 photos at 3200 and the noise is almost invisible. I will say that the 5D II is impressive all the way up to 3200 and very usable at 6400 and it also has very smooth noise. Lastly, the 1Ds II has 16.7 mp, which is quite a jump from the 40D. I am blown away at the detail when looking at 100% crops. Wow, it is just awesome!

Overall, I have to give this camera a 10/10. It just has too many advantages to outway the older technology. If you are planning to upgrade from the 5D to 5D II, I would seriously consider the 1Ds II. You will not be disappointed.

Dec 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add baumgarten0712 to your Buddy List
baumgarten0712

Registered: Oct 12, 2008
Review Date: Dec 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF, Metering, Build Quality, 16.7 MP, Shutter Response
Cons:
Small LCD (not a huge issue)

Dec 27, 2008
Zalllon

Registered: Jun 5, 2005
Review Date: Dec 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, AF speed, viewfinder brightness (wow), grip comfort, weather sealing, small RAW files for 16.7 mp, shutter sound, battery life, image quality, still good ISO performance
Cons:
Button layout on top (2 buttons pressed to change ISO setting???), menu navigation, weight (which of course is to be expected at this level)

After being on a list since early October waiting for the 5D MK II, and having a price increase from Canon Canada ... I decided to look at what else the same buckaroos would get me. I was considering the Nikon D700, but realized it had very large RAW file sizes for 12mp. Then I saw someone on here considering a 1Ds MK II. I didn't even think of that, so I did my research to see what advantages it had of the new 5D.

For me, the gap between 16.7mp to 21mp is not an issue as far as print resolution. I'm not a big cropper and like to compose my photos properly to save time in PP. In actuality, I'm better off getting the 1Ds MK II because of the smaller RAW files, plus in order to use the 5D MK II RAW files, I'd have to upgrade from Photoshop CS3 to CS4, upgrade Lightroom to 2.0 and probably increase my CPU horsepower along with motherboard. SO there is a real cost savings in upgrading to this older model

AF focus is very fast with my prime lenses. Camera is heavy but feels great to hold. I can't wait to get a 70-200mm for snowboard shoots.

Image quality for my test shots so far (literally got it last night) are awesome. High ISO seems better than the 5D body I recently sold.

All in all, I really like this camera. LCD is crap compared to today's large screens, and the menu navigation is a bit of headache too. I'm not a fan of having to press 2 buttons to change ISO speed and some other settings, but I'm hoping this can be customized with one of the other buttons.

All in all, the image quality I've seen are awesome ... so from a sensor performance, this camera will continue to make me money.

Dec 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Zalllon to your Buddy List
bocaminus

Registered: Apr 19, 2006
Review Date: Nov 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution & built
Cons:

This is by far the best body I ever used. I can't really think about any major flaw although it's quite demanding when comes down to lens you mount on it. Pro grade built quality .... overall this is 10 out of 10 for me. I'm pretty sure when time comes for an upgrade my 1Ds MII won't be for trade or sale .... keeper for good.

Nov 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bocaminus to your Buddy List
Matt Kerby

Registered: Jun 9, 2007
Review Date: Jul 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, AF, build
Cons:
None, well, 2" LCD

Everyone else have summed up my positive experiences with this body already. I have owned two, both have been really great bodies. In some respects I like this better than my 1Dmk3. I guess the extra MP's and the FF are a couple reasons I say this. To put it in a nutshell, the 1DsmkII is as solid of performer as you could ask for, it just does what it's supposed to do...Zoom into 100% and blow youself away...perhaps the best body I've shot with.

Jul 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Matt Kerby to your Buddy List
webman06

Registered: May 21, 2004
Review Date: Jul 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 16.7 MPix Full Frame
Cons:
May i say it's heavy...

Got this one used and it sure needs the best lenses that you can get. Aside from that, for my use, it's almost the best money can buy.
A highly recommanded choice per say !

Jul 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add webman06 to your Buddy List
Pablo Vicente

Registered: Apr 24, 2007
Review Date: Mar 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: resolution, out-of-cam jpg's, focusing system, battery life, dynamic range, shutter life, full frame ,feel in hands
Cons:
weight for my hand luggage

Bought this camera 2nd hand with a new shutter after using the d30, 20d and 5d.It delivers, end of story.Controls are familiar after a few shoots, the resolution is great and the photo sharpness and quality of the jpg's are satisfying clients that need files right after the shoot.The focusing system delivers, concert shoots on Ai servo have proven that, magazines buying the images too.

Do you want to pay almost double the price than a second hand 1ds II for a bigger screen eating the battery, live view useless to most, disputable sensor cleaning and slightly wider/larger photos on the 1ds III ? I don't.

Love my 1ds II !

greetings,

Pablo

www.pablovicente.com
www.digitalpixels.net
www.talentlaunch.com

Mar 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Pablo Vicente to your Buddy List
sivrajbm

Registered: Mar 15, 2005
Review Date: Feb 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 16.7 mp, large bright viewfinder, dual memory slots, Handling, AF, IQ, Custom features, Size and Weight, Solid, long lasting battery, 4fps
Cons:
None really, if I had to be picky no dual writing like my Mk2N, 4fps

Ok after going up the Canon food chain I've reached the top. I decided last year to shoot with 1-series only after getting spoiled by the performance of the original beast (1D). That led to a Mk2N and now this, man I've got to get more work now Smile.

The images and the detail that this camera puts out are just AWESOME. I'm glad I went with the 1DsMk2 instead of a 1DMk3, I just don't think it could get much better than this. I rarely used the 8.5 fps so 10 really meant nothing to me. Resolution and detail is what I wanted and this camera delivers in SPADES. I can now get much larger prints with much less work and have lots of cropping room.

I doubled the ram in my computers to help handle the extra load this camera brings to the table and all is well. Recently did a school dance and some portraits with this camera and all I can say is WOW. Great upgrade, great camera. I bought it from another FMer who upgraded to the Ds3. The camera had just come back from Canon after being cleaned and adjusted to factory spec.

He gave me a great deal with everything in the box, 2-4gb Extreme cards & a RRS bracket plus the service warranty.
I'm a very happy camper.

Feb 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sivrajbm to your Buddy List
Hugo B.

Registered: Feb 15, 2008
Review Date: Feb 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super High resolution pictures rivals Hasselblad 6X6, unbelievable! 48.7 mb tiffs files. Wow! Feels like a camera should in your hands, good ergonomics.
Cons:
Needs large Hard Drive for computer.

I love it, wish I could get the Canon EOS 1DS Mark III though 21 mega-pixals, but I can't afford it yet. People complain about the weight of it, but I guess they don't know weight is. How about lugging it in the woods with a Canon 600mm f/4 EF IS USM lens, 8.5lb. Gitzo tripod and Wimberly Head for 4 miles in search of little tiny birds that don't sit still. Any of my other lenses I consider light compared to that even my Canon 300mm f/2.8 EF IS USM, no sweat. So the camera in my opinion is light. Stop Whining, "It's too heavy".

Feb 15, 2008