Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

379 889849 Dec 30, 2022
ef70_200_4_1_

High-performance, L-series telephoto zoom lens combining light weight and compactness with an f/4 maximum aperture. Inner focusing and the ring USM enable quick and quiet autofocusing. Also, a circular polarizing filter can be attached and used without difficulty because the front lens element does not rotate during focusing. The tripod collar (sold separately) is the same one used with the EF 300mm f/4L USM.

jimbo67

Registered: Mar 10, 2008
Review Date: Mar 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast AF, Lightweight, Sharp, Relatively inexpensive.
Cons:
Have to pay more for L series sharpness, that I can get with 300 dollar Sigma??

I am very pleased with the AF (married with my 20D)...quiet, fast, not much hunting even in low light. Absolutely spot on with respect to focus, perhaps a recent 20D firmware has resolved the back-focus issue?? It is sharp, but my Sigma 70-300mm F4/5.6 APO is very close in IQ at 350 dollars cheaper in price. It's unfortunate that I have to purchase an L series lens to get awesome IQ with a Canon lens, that other 3rd party manufacturers can offer at a much cheaper cost. I'm gonna keep them both...the macro on the Sigma is pretty darn good, and I can't let it go!! Don't get me wrong...the IQ of the Canon is still a bit better...maybe I lucked out with my Sigma...dunno??

Mar 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimbo67 to your Buddy List
yohay

Registered: Mar 9, 2008
Location: Israel
Review Date: Mar 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: lightweight (relative), cheap (relative). fast, bulid quality and great preformance
Cons:
none.

really a great lens!
the bulid quality is perfect, and it's a very fast lens.
it's cheap relative to it's preforamnce, and also lightweight, again, it's relative. (750g).
I think that is one of the lenses that shows the highest value of money in the market.

Mar 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add yohay to your Buddy List
kumman

Registered: Sep 28, 2005
Location: Pakistan
Review Date: Mar 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light
Cons:
none...

just bought the lens, love the colors, focusing is fast especially with the limited on 3m. Best thing is how light it is compared to the 2.8 versions, wouldnt mind carrying this around all day.

the only thing i dont like is the limited zoom range, for birds 200mm on a crop body isnt enough, for me, most of the time, a 100-400 would have worked much better i guess, but for the price its great.

at 200mm i expected some softness wide open compared to a stop or two down but from 100%crops theres not much difference that i can make out. The bigger issue is correct focusing at 200mm and my old XT doesnt seem to be doing a really good job at that.

If you can afford the IS version definitely get that, i couldn't so i got this...

Mar 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kumman to your Buddy List
markarce

Registered: Mar 5, 2008
Review Date: Mar 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $731.25 | Rating: 10

Pros: It makes you smile when you use it. (if you have something better, then you are not looking at this comment)
Cons:
nothing really. everybody here uses white bodied lenses bigger than this which doesnt really make it stand out. my belly protrudes longer than this lens.

this is the culprit that introduced me to L's. just get one with confidence but first check out if it is a good copy.

if i canon would fulfill onewish from a 70-200 f4 owner, that would be to make it at least weather sealed. with that i'll be like rambo under the mud and this lens is my machine bazooka thing.

definitely recommended lens.

Mar 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add markarce to your Buddy List
sendjo

Registered: Feb 23, 2008
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Feb 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, constant f4, lightweight, sharp, price...
Cons:
none if you know what you buying..

Good tele zoom for every serious amateur.. can`t find any weakness on this lens. If you don`t need constant f2.8 or image stabilization - go for it, you can`t miss with this one!

Feb 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sendjo to your Buddy List
performant

Registered: Feb 17, 2008
Review Date: Feb 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: build & image quality, solid, (relatively) light, compatible w/ extenders
Cons:
only f4, draws a little attention (white colour), no collar

Feb 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add performant to your Buddy List
Kanon Kid

Registered: Feb 18, 2008
Review Date: Feb 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ IQ IQ, USM, FTM, oh and price--a BARGAIN- some consumer lenses are much more expensive.
Cons:
its kind of big and heavy, white, not 300mm, no tripod collar but you dont truly need one. also some may have a backfocusing issue...

great lens, good color, contrast, IQ, just it attracts ALOT of attention and its a beast. Too big for my liking tho, but great otherwise. Build quality good, especially that it doesnt extend.

Feb 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kanon Kid to your Buddy List
CanadianJames

Registered: Jan 22, 2008
Review Date: Jan 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, SHARP!!!! Build quality is excellent. I LOVE this lens.
Cons:
Makes me want to blow the bank account on more L glass

This lens was a last minute purchase for me just before I left on a 1 month trip to Africa. Frankly, I don't know what I would have done without it. My first impression was that it was an 'ok' lens. The build quality was excellent, and it was very well reviewed. (I learned to listen to the reviews on this website when I wasted my money on the EFS 17-85 IS.)

When I got it out into the savanna, I was a little bit disappointed with the focal length. I immediately started wishing I had bought the 70-300. Nevertheless, the focal length grew on me and I just had to creep the truck a little bit closer to the animals to get the shot that I wanted.

It wasn't until the first evening when I was tucked away in my tent and uploaded the days shots onto my Macbook. I WAS BLOWN AWAY by the quality of the shots I had taken. VERY IMPRESSED!!! This is going to easily replace my busted EF 70-200 and I shall never look back!

This is the first L series lens I have added to my collection and after what I've seen, I WANT MORE. The two lenses I used the most on my trip was this one and the EFS 17-85 IS (don't buy it). There is absolutely no comparison with quality.

BUY THIS LENS!!!

Jan 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CanadianJames to your Buddy List
roberto1979

Registered: Dec 29, 2006
Review Date: Jan 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, weight, AF, price
Cons:
It's not a 16-600mm f/1.8 IS?

As a landscaper I have fallen in love with all these amazing f/4 lenses Canon has. They're in a sweet spot of price/weight/quality that absolutely no one else can match. The build on this lens is great, it focuses very quickly, and the image quality is out of this world. I recently shot a 6 shot panorama with this and the 5D that I printed 24x72. The detail is almost scary. Buy this lens!

Jan 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add roberto1979 to your Buddy List
SADIK BAYDERE

Registered: Jun 21, 2007
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Jan 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Examplary performance for the price paid, L class quality, good IQ and AF, amazing results with nice DOF for detail close-up, zoomed lanscape and even portrait shots, a real light and colour picker, non-rotating inner focusing enables attaching filters, very sharp results with amazing colours and contrast ...
Cons:
None at all ...

When heard in the past of one saying "I am in love with this lens", I was finding it amusing and thinking how one could fell in love with a lens !..

Yes, I now know that it is possible; so I am in love too with this fantastic lens.

One of the best products of Canon in terms of price-performance, in my opinion. It complements my 17-40 f/4 L and 50 f/1.8 I so that I have not yet felt a real need for another lens as a serious amateur; maybe a macro in the future but not necessarily, with 70-200 at hand Wink

Just a note; with a 67-77 step up ring, I use my B+W circular polariser on both 17-40 and 70-200 when needed which is quite handy too.

Would recommend without hesitation ...

Jan 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add SADIK BAYDERE to your Buddy List
bluefox9er

Registered: May 10, 2007
Review Date: Jan 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight (relativley), awsome picture quality..
Cons:
none..apart from ugly colour!!

well, this lens..what more to say? Absloutley pin sharp on my canon 400d, and really does make the most of the crop sensor with good results..

the gallery here http://www.flickr.com/photos/dipak49ers/sets/72157602470636767/
was shot using this lens 90% of the time.

Despite the crop sensor, this remains on my camera 99% of the time...it is simply fantastic on so many many levels. I was torn between this and the 70-300 mm IS as I wanted IS and a longer reach, but decided to pay more for this one as the image quality for me is so much better..and after cropping, well...it works for me :-)

buy this lens if you are in 2 minds...maybe someday I might be able to afford the 2.8 IS version..but for now,this is the most fun I have had with my canon 400d .

The only negative for me is that being in the Uk we pay so much more than the rest of the world for gear like this...be assured next time I buy gear i'll do so when I am in the states!

Jan 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bluefox9er to your Buddy List
Aaron Fuchs

Registered: Jan 12, 2008
Review Date: Jan 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, built quality, L-lens without L-price
Cons:
not f2.8 or f2 or f1.4 or ...

it's a classic and still a great lens

Jan 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aaron Fuchs to your Buddy List
smarinic

Registered: Jan 9, 2005
Location: Slovenia
Review Date: Dec 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality, L glass for non-L price, sharpness from f4
Cons:
none at all

Excellent optics, build quality, works great on D30

Dec 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add smarinic to your Buddy List
aladyforty

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Posts: 2027
Review Date: Dec 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: light, super sharp, cheap for an L lens. Very little degradation with the 1X4 TC attached.
Cons:

Love this lens, my most used lens. I dont miss IS at all as Ive never had it. I get wonderful sharp images from it. Worth every cent

Dec 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aladyforty to your Buddy List
Spam Lover

Registered: Nov 10, 2007
Review Date: Dec 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $495.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Relatively light, fast & quiet AF, sturdy build quality, beautiful colour & contrast, sharp, sharp, sharp! Professional white colour. Great intro to L lenses.
Cons:
Conspicuous white colour.

Give this baby good light and you'll keep almost every picture. The sharpness/colour/contrast coupled with the lens's AF speed and accuracy make this one of Canon's best pro-sumer lenses ever. The bokeh is so creamy and the clarity & colour so vivid the subject just pops out of the picture so easily. Get the 1.4 extender and it's an even better outdoor lens.

I can shoot without IS rather well now so I saved a lot of money!

I just upgraded to the 2.8 non-IS version so we'll see how that goes.

Dec 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Spam Lover to your Buddy List
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Dec 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: For a couple of years before i got >rich> i used this item with a 17-40 L on the famed Canon 10D body,recently i saw my old files and was choked to see how good this pearl is.The pic this Lens make is very good and sharp and the contrast and bokeh is equal or better than the Big Bro 70-200 F2,8 ! simply great.
Cons:
I cant find any for the price paid. weathersealing perhaps? IS?

Need i say more about this wonderfull Canon glass? it is so fine a product and of finest quality so its really high-end for a low end price,i have compared this w its bigger brother(the F2,8) and find the pics from the smaller F4 as good and sometimes better ! and lifelike bokeh which is awesome and good on my sample.
I think this Canon product is a hit and understand perfectly why Canon has put on the stabilizer( IS) and WS on this golden butter product.

The Canon 70-200 F is Absolutely recomandable.Period.

I still use it for travel and serious PJ work when i travel light.Paired with a 17-40L and Canons 5omm glass or 35 mm glass and a good cam like the Canon 5 D or the 40 D,this combo seems perfect.

Dec 3, 2007