Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of A74me's message #16525643 « Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away? »

A74me
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

j4nu wrote:
A74me wrote:
j4nu wrote:
bernardl wrote:
j4nu wrote:
bernardl wrote:
AF is not as impressive as I thought it would be compared to my Z8/Z9, especially when shooting with my 50mm f1.2 GM wide open at f1.2, but it is still obviously brilliant. Just not significantly better when shooting moving people. I am sure that it excels in some use cases.

That's interesting, could you elaborate a bit?
Do you mean something like eyeAF accuracy wide-open from less than optimal angles (not looking into the camera directly) ?

Yes, hit rate focusing on the pupil of the eye at f1.2, ability to find faces when there are partial obstructions in the foreground,...

The a9III works very well overall, but so do the Nikons. I have a slightly higher keep rate with the Sony at f4, but a slightly higher hit rate with the Nikons at f1.2.

These are non scientific results, just what I saw using both cameras. But again, they are all better than anything else so far and incredibly good. Especially when comparing against a camera like the GFX-100II which feels like a blurred image generator compared to the other 2. I really like the 100II also though.

Cheers,
Bernard

Thanks, it's refreshing to read such a broad and unbiased comparison nowadays .
I moved from A7III to A1 and in some aspects, changes to eyeAF weren't as big as I was expecting ...

eye af on the A1 is not up with the a74, a7r5 ,a93, a7c2, a7cr, and i think the a7s3

I think the AI-models have better recognition (including eyeAF), but A7s3 and A7IV are rather similar to A1. EyeAF was a hot topic for A7IV as people complained it was not accurate in a lot of times (there were fw upgrades since then to fix the issue).

The area where I'd like to see some improvement is eyeAF accuracy, especially when shooting at an angle. The manufacturers nowadays do not seem to put much effort into making sure it's the iris that is in focus (if there's any obstacle along the way like eyelashes or hair)...

the eye af on my a74 is faultless and always has been, even when my dogs hair is covering the eye. same with humans side on is no problem at all.

Apr 17, 2024 at 07:14 AM
A74me
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

j4nu wrote:
A74me wrote:
j4nu wrote:
bernardl wrote:
j4nu wrote:
bernardl wrote:
AF is not as impressive as I thought it would be compared to my Z8/Z9, especially when shooting with my 50mm f1.2 GM wide open at f1.2, but it is still obviously brilliant. Just not significantly better when shooting moving people. I am sure that it excels in some use cases.

That's interesting, could you elaborate a bit?
Do you mean something like eyeAF accuracy wide-open from less than optimal angles (not looking into the camera directly) ?

Yes, hit rate focusing on the pupil of the eye at f1.2, ability to find faces when there are partial obstructions in the foreground,...

The a9III works very well overall, but so do the Nikons. I have a slightly higher keep rate with the Sony at f4, but a slightly higher hit rate with the Nikons at f1.2.

These are non scientific results, just what I saw using both cameras. But again, they are all better than anything else so far and incredibly good. Especially when comparing against a camera like the GFX-100II which feels like a blurred image generator compared to the other 2. I really like the 100II also though.

Cheers,
Bernard

Thanks, it's refreshing to read such a broad and unbiased comparison nowadays .
I moved from A7III to A1 and in some aspects, changes to eyeAF weren't as big as I was expecting ...

eye af on the A1 is not up with the a74, a7r5 ,a93, a7c2, a7cr, and i think the a7s3

I think the AI-models have better recognition (including eyeAF), but A7s3 and A7IV are rather similar to A1. EyeAF was a hot topic for A7IV as people complained it was not accurate in a lot of times (there were fw upgrades since then to fix the issue).

The area where I'd like to see some improvement is eyeAF accuracy, especially when shooting at an angle. The manufacturers nowadays do not seem to put much effort into making sure it's the iris that is in focus (if there's any obstacle along the way like eyelashes or hair)...

the eye af on my a74 is faultless and always has been, even when my dogs hair is covering the eye. same with humans side on is no problem at all.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!ArStsPjQ301PnQe6S4oN5adh-9_-?e=fnHuwZ

https://1drv.ms/i/s!ArStsPjQ301PnQYwNDT5hJBMO5w2?e=OGCh3e

Apr 17, 2024 at 07:00 AM

Previous versions of A74me's message #16525643 « Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.