Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RomanMF's message #16483731 « Bokeh Character Preferences for Wide Aperture Lenses »

RomanMF
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Bokeh Character Preferences for Wide Aperture Lenses

highdesertmesa wrote:
rscheffler wrote:
IMO in a moving image your eye doesn't have time to pick up and dwell on these characteristics the way it does with a still image. Yeah, I'd like to see this in motion...

On the IMAX screen, the scene had a lot less contrast than this still image has, and I don't even remember the bokeh standing out. I'm guessing that's a byproduct of lower contrast projection versus our higher contrast computer screens. The still I posted looks a bit jarring, but it didn't feel that way in the movie.

I remember a while back seeing a Netflix production that must have used a wide aperture S35 anamorphic on a full frame sensor, because the image was just out of control. And they used the same look from one scene to the next. I couldn't watch the show because it made my eyes hurt not being able to look around in the scene.

Was it Zack Snyder's Army of the Dead? The film was shot on the Red Monstro VV, which features a sensor roughly the size of full frame, it's a little wider but less tall. He then compounded that by shooting it on rehoused vintage Canon still glass at like F1.0. Most of the damn movie feels out of focus and it gave many people headaches.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPW7HceDfrR/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=18611876-7194-4cd8-895c-3dd7544b312d

Feb 27, 2024 at 09:49 PM
RomanMF

highdesertmesa wrote:
rscheffler wrote:
IMO in a moving image your eye doesn't have time to pick up and dwell on these characteristics the way it does with a still image. Yeah, I'd like to see this in motion...

On the IMAX screen, the scene had a lot less contrast than this still image has, and I don't even remember the bokeh standing out. I'm guessing that's a byproduct of lower contrast projection versus our higher contrast computer screens. The still I posted looks a bit jarring, but it didn't feel that way in the movie.

I remember a while back seeing a Netflix production that must have used a wide aperture S35 anamorphic on a full frame sensor, because the image was just out of control. And they used the same look from one scene to the next. I couldn't watch the show because it made my eyes hurt not being able to look around in the scene.

Was it Zack Snyder's Army of the Dead? The film was shot on the Red Monstro VV, which features a sensor roughly the size of full frame, it's a little wider but less tall. He then compounded that by shooting it on rehoused vintage Canon still glass at like F1.0. Most of the damn movie feels out of focus and it gave many people headaches.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPW7HceDfrR/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=18611876-7194-4cd8-895c-3dd7544b312d

Feb 27, 2024 at 09:48 PM
RomanMF

highdesertmesa wrote:
rscheffler wrote:

Feb 27, 2024 at 07:45 PM

Previous versions of RomanMF's message #16483731 « Bokeh Character Preferences for Wide Aperture Lenses »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.