Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of highdesertmesa's message #16483698 « Bokeh Character Preferences for Wide Aperture Lenses »

highdesertmesa
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Bokeh Character Preferences for Wide Aperture Lenses

rscheffler wrote:
I think it depends on the image. In this screenshot I think it works because for me it is similar to adding vignetting to put focus on the subject in the center of the image. The swirl moves my eye back to the calmer center. It also probably depends on how sensitive one is to this type of bokeh.

I just watched three Dune 2 trailers and this was the only instance of this type of bokeh I noticed. It's possible it was used very sparingly, or only for scenes not on Dune (Arrakis), and thus for effect to emphasize a different time and/or place. And IMO this is also where in stills this type of bokeh is most effective - used sparingly and with images where it complements the content. Too much of it and it's overload. I noticed that pretty much every other scene in the trailers has modern looking, fairly neutral/sterile background bokeh.

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I don't find the lens over distracting in this photo, though I could see where some might. I find it distracting that the brightest part of the photo is in the outer frame while the center and subject is dark.

Great idea for post.

It's unclear how this scene in the full movie compares to the trailer, but in the trailer, this scene is very short, starts bright and quickly darkens. I'd have to rewatch it in slow-mo but it felt like a vignette was transitioned over the clip that counteracted the bright outer area of the scene as it transitioned to the next clip. The screenshot is taken from the beginning of the clip when it's brightest. Also, in the trailer this is a locked down scene - there is no camera movement that could possibly amplify the effect or the distracting nature of this bokeh. With it being part of a movie, my eye is anticipating movement and therefore focused on the people in the scene to see what they do. They happen to be in the central calmer area of the image and the busy bokeh is in the periphery. Another consideration is that this movie will be playing on IMAX where on a massive screen the busy peripheral bokeh really would be in your visual periphery and likely acts to steer your eyes onto the subjects. On a small screen, especially the laptop I'm viewing this on now, I'm not even remotely immersed in the scene.

I saw the early fan screening in IMAX this last Sunday night, and honestly I remember the scene but nothing about how it was filmed. So everyone saying it works differently in motion, I have to agree. I just remember being focused on the Emperor character at that moment. I also remember it being hard to look away from him to the other character, so I guess the stylistic choice worked. And yes, it must have been used sparingly. Most of the scenes looked like high end cinema lenses were used and/or CG applied, in which case the director/cinematographer can build the look they want.

On a separate note, I find it a bit odd given our current technology that our cameras don't record the "live" versions of our still photos the way iPhones do. That "Harry Potter" effect that loops that was overused to some extent for a while in social media. I think it's because we're stuck with legacy "photo uploader/storage" systems in forums like these, on Flickr, etc. For a while now, I've preferred to make final choices on whether a lens stays or goes in my bag by recording a few short video clips of things I would normally photograph, including panning around to better evaluate flare character.

Feb 27, 2024 at 07:18 PM

Previous versions of highdesertmesa's message #16483698 « Bokeh Character Preferences for Wide Aperture Lenses »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.