Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Eric214's message #16476840 « Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II »

Eric214
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II

dcisive wrote:
groob wrote:
dcisive wrote:
All I'm hoping for with the Z9 update would be a faster more reliable to acquire and stickier focus capability. Currently I can have some days where it's struggles. A Sony body I'm working with as well that uses their AI chip for this seems to excel a bit more in this area. I'm fairly confident the engineers at Nikon will propel the focus system yet another notch.

You've mentioned this before, but I have no idea what situations you could be referencing. Again today, my Z9 grabbed a wren's eye at ~30 yards and through some vines. But even more impressively, yesterday, I had two chances at green-winged teal coming in to land. Out of 98 frames, 4 were out of focus. And all 4 were the first shots I took as the initial group of teal approached, so I must've started shooting before they were in focus. The way the Z9 found and grabbed those teal was the most impressive AF feat I have ever personally witnessed from a camera.

In case anyone is unfamiliar, green-winged teal are only about 13 inches long, with a wingspan of approximately 8 inches. But they can fly up to 50 mph and change direction on a dime. These teal flew in below the tree line, just above the water. Not only were the teal tiny in the viewfinder when I picked them up, but they were also the same color as the background. Yet, the Z9 locked on and held them all the way to splashdown--just remarkable. If the Z9 can do that, I'd love to hear about scenarios in which it struggles.

I've been going out a lot lately shooting Blue Heron's who are nesting at this time nearby where I live. I use the Z9 and 100-400S sometimes with and without a 1.4xtc. I've used the large wide box, small box, full screen auto you name it. When they are either leaving the nest, approaching the nest and even flying away, the Z9 isn't grabbing them all the time let alone staying stuck on them. It's been very disappointing at times. When it does capture a frame it's wonderful, just not the majority of the times.

I began playing with a A6700 Sony and their 200-600G lens. Aside from it's astounding sharpness that setup seems to see, grab onto and STAY onto pelicans, cormorants and Heron's like nobody's business. Over a 90% keeper rate to where I have to choose what I want to keep. I haven't given up yet on the Nikon. I'll be working later this week using the 3D method as well just to see if I can nail and STAY on a subject.

I haven't had any issues with Pelicans, Cormorants. Easily well above 90% hit rate with Auto Area AF mode and Bid SD with Herons and Egrets, I only have an issue with it in AA AF mode and Bird SD when they extend the neck when standing, it likes to grab the body. If the neck is recoiled and S-shaped, I have zero issues with it grabbing the eye and 100% staying sticky. So for when they are flying, no issues either with AA AF mode and Bird SD

This is why I have my RSF (Hold) set to only change my AF area mode to Wide C1 and SD from bird to Animal. So I can use my old Hybrid Handoff method if need be with the old Animal SD for when Long neck wading birds have their necks extended. That is literally the only I've ever had a need to switch (unless there are mammals like foxes around).

If you used Wide small or a Wide C1 with a small 9x7 or 5x3 box, and put it on the head of a Heron, it will only ever grab the eye, so not sure what possible issue you had with that.

Edit:
I still think that even with the new Bird SD with FW 4.10, there are still people that just don't jive with certain cameras or systems. Some do better with Sony or Canon or Nikon. Not that there is a problem with that. But even with teh Bird SD, it's not just a point and shot for some like others systems is for some. Same with Nikon, some just take to the Z9 or Z8 much easier then Canon or Sony. It's just the way it is

Feb 20, 2024 at 06:49 PM
Eric214
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II

dcisive wrote:
groob wrote:
dcisive wrote:
All I'm hoping for with the Z9 update would be a faster more reliable to acquire and stickier focus capability. Currently I can have some days where it's struggles. A Sony body I'm working with as well that uses their AI chip for this seems to excel a bit more in this area. I'm fairly confident the engineers at Nikon will propel the focus system yet another notch.

You've mentioned this before, but I have no idea what situations you could be referencing. Again today, my Z9 grabbed a wren's eye at ~30 yards and through some vines. But even more impressively, yesterday, I had two chances at green-winged teal coming in to land. Out of 98 frames, 4 were out of focus. And all 4 were the first shots I took as the initial group of teal approached, so I must've started shooting before they were in focus. The way the Z9 found and grabbed those teal was the most impressive AF feat I have ever personally witnessed from a camera.

In case anyone is unfamiliar, green-winged teal are only about 13 inches long, with a wingspan of approximately 8 inches. But they can fly up to 50 mph and change direction on a dime. These teal flew in below the tree line, just above the water. Not only were the teal tiny in the viewfinder when I picked them up, but they were also the same color as the background. Yet, the Z9 locked on and held them all the way to splashdown--just remarkable. If the Z9 can do that, I'd love to hear about scenarios in which it struggles.

I've been going out a lot lately shooting Blue Heron's who are nesting at this time nearby where I live. I use the Z9 and 100-400S sometimes with and without a 1.4xtc. I've used the large wide box, small box, full screen auto you name it. When they are either leaving the nest, approaching the nest and even flying away, the Z9 isn't grabbing them all the time let alone staying stuck on them. It's been very disappointing at times. When it does capture a frame it's wonderful, just not the majority of the times.

I began playing with a A6700 Sony and their 200-600G lens. Aside from it's astounding sharpness that setup seems to see, grab onto and STAY onto pelicans, cormorants and Heron's like nobody's business. Over a 90% keeper rate to where I have to choose what I want to keep. I haven't given up yet on the Nikon. I'll be working later this week using the 3D method as well just to see if I can nail and STAY on a subject.

I haven't had any issues with Pelicans, Cormorants. Easily well above 90% hit rate with Auto Area AF mode and Bid SD with Herons and Egrets, I only have an issue with it in AA AF mode and Bird SD when they extend the neck when standing, it likes to grab the body. If the neck is recoiled and S-shaped, I have zero issues with it grabbing the eye and 100% staying sticky. So for when they are flying, no issues either with AA AF mode and Bird SD

This is why I have my RSF (Hold) set to only change my AF area mode to Wide C1 and SD from bird to Animal. So I can use my old Hybrid Handoff method if need be with the old Animal SD for when Long neck wading birds have their necks extended. That is literally the only I've ever had a need to switch (unless there are mammals like foxes around).

If you used Wide small or a Wide C1 with a small 9x7 or 5x3 box, and put it on the head of a Heron, it will only ever grab the eye, so not sure what possible issue you had with that.

Feb 20, 2024 at 06:43 PM

Previous versions of Eric214's message #16476840 « Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.