Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of groob's message #16476506 « Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II »

groob
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II

dcisive wrote:
All I'm hoping for with the Z9 update would be a faster more reliable to acquire and stickier focus capability. Currently I can have some days where it's struggles. A Sony body I'm working with as well that uses their AI chip for this seems to excel a bit more in this area. I'm fairly confident the engineers at Nikon will propel the focus system yet another notch.

You've mentioned this before, but I have no idea what situations you could be referencing. Again today, my Z9 grabbed a wren's eye at ~30 yards and through some vines. Bur even more impressively, yesterday, I had two chances at green-winged teal coming in to land. Out of 98 frames, 4 were out of focus. And all 4 were the first shots I took as the initial group of teal approached, so I must've started shooting before they were in focus. The way the Z9 found and grabbed those teal was the most impressive AF feat I have ever personally witnessed from a camera.

In case anyone is unfamiliar, green-winged teal are only about 13 inches long, with a wingspan of approximately 8 inches. But they can fly up to 50 mph and change direction on a dime. These teal flew in below the tree line, just above the water. Not only were the teal tiny in the viewfinder when I picked them up, but they were also the same color as the background. Yet, the Z9 locked on and held them all the way to splashdown--just remarkable. If the Z9 can do that, I'd love to hear about scenarios in which it struggles.

Feb 20, 2024 at 01:53 PM

Previous versions of groob's message #16476506 « Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.