Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of ChrisMak's message #16474161 « Nikon Z8 with 600 PF vs Sony A1 200-600 or 600 GM for Birds and BIF »

ChrisMak
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Nikon Z8 with 600 PF vs Sony A1 200-600 or 600 GM for Birds and BIF

billsnature wrote:
A 300mm or 400mm with 2X TC will not work for me!!!! I tried that back in DSLR days and that is a no go.

I thought about the 300GM as well with both converters, as a lightweight addition to the 600GM, but like you decided against it.
I noticed a yellowish color cast in all samples I have seen from the 300GM with 2xTC, in particular when compared to the 200-600G and 600GM in identical circumstances. I downloaded some raw files, and it is not as much a white balance issue, as it is a characteristic of this combo. Perhaps if you like the tone you can live with it, but the 600GM and 200-600G are much more natural in color tone.
I perhaps would have tried it for the sharpness alone, but it is just not a good solution.

The only solution I see with regards to a lightweight long prime for e-mount, is the Sigma 500/5.6 that will be announced next week. Initial rumors are positive that it is going to be a high end lens with very fast and accurate auto focus. This lens would be the equivalent to the 500PF/600PF with the same size front element and light gathering. Limitation will be that it has no TC options, but I don't tend to put a TC on a f5.6 lens anyhow, with a high resolution body, cropping is just as good.

If I would have to choose between the Sony 600GM and the Nikon 600PF as my only or main lens, I would choose the 600GM any time. f6.3 at 600mm is too limiting regarding light gathering and background separation. I tend to close the Sony down to f5 when subjects are not at larger distance, but not any further, as I start to see the lack of background separation at f5.6 onwards.
The only Nikon lens that I would consider if I had to choose one main lens, is the 800PF. It is the full frame equivalent of the 500PF on the D500 that I used for a few years, and I never felt it was too long. I wish Nikon had made the 600PF more in line with the 800PF by giving it a f5.6 aperture, which is really borderline with regards to light gathering and subject isolation, but the 800PF would be perfect.
For further out subject though, the 600GM wide open at f4 is unbeatable, very detailed with super precise AF, and as I said, relatively resistent to atmospheric issues (within limits of course).

Feb 18, 2024 at 06:28 AM
ChrisMak

billsnature wrote:
A 300mm or 400mm with 2X TC will not work for me!!!! I tried that back in DSLR days and that is a no go.

I thought about the 300GM as well with both converters, as a lightweight addition to the 600GM, but like you decided against it.
I noticed a yellowish color cast in all samples I have seen from the 300GM with 2xTC, in particular when compared to the 200-600G and 600GM in identical circumstances. I downloaded some raw files, and it is not as much a white balance issue, as it is a characteristic of this combo. Perhaps if you like the tone you can live with it, but the 600GM and 200-600G are much more natural in color tone.
I perhaps would have tried it for the sharpness alone, but it is just not a good solution.

The only solution I see with regards to a lightweight long prime for e-mount, is the Sigma 500/5.6 that will be announced next week. Initial rumors are positive that it is going to be a high end lens with very fast and accurate auto focus. This lens would be the equivalent to the 500PF/600PF with the same size front element and light gathering. Limitation will be that it has no TC options, but I don't tend to put a TC on a f5.6 lens anyhow, with a high resolution body, cropping is just as good.

If I would have to choose between the Sony 600GM and the Nikon 600PF as my only or main lens, I would choose the 600GM any time. f6.3 at 600mm is too limiting regarding light gathering and background separation. I tend to close the Sony down to f5 when subjects are not at larger distance, but not any further, as I start to see the lack of background separation at f5.6 onwards.
The only Nikon lens that I would consider if I had to choose one main lens, is the 800PF. It is the full frame equivalent of the 500PF on the D500 that I used for a few years, and I never felst it was too long. I wish Nikon had made the 600PF more in line with the 800PF by giving it a f5.6 aperture, which is really borderline with regards to light gathering and subject isolation, but the 800PF would be perfect.
For further out subject though, the 600GM wide open at f4 is unbeatable, very detailed with super precise AF, and as I said, relatively resistent to atmospheric issues (within limits of course).

Feb 18, 2024 at 06:28 AM
ChrisMak

billsnature wrote:

The only Nikon lens that I would consider if I had to choose one main lens, is the 800PF. I wish Nikon had made the 600PF more in line with the 800PF by giving it a f5.6 aperture, which is really borderline with regards to light gathering and subject isolation, but the 800PF would be perfect.

Feb 18, 2024 at 06:22 AM

Previous versions of ChrisMak's message #16474161 « Nikon Z8 with 600 PF vs Sony A1 200-600 or 600 GM for Birds and BIF »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.