Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of OwlsEyes's message #16401675 « Sony users - what do you think about Nikon Zf? »

OwlsEyes
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Sony users - what do you think about Nikon Zf?

Nikon anything is a tough sell on the Sony forum. In fact, Sony evangelists frequent the Nikon forum and often disrupt the flow of conversation... so, I guess I'll return the favor.
I'd say that the Zf is one of many cameras that Nikon is using to move DSLR shooters into the Nikon Z-system. It appeals to the "Boomer" group who want to reconnect with their legacy and GenZ shooters who are into retro-gear. I cut my teeth in the film era with a Spotmatic, and while the camera has a nostalgic draw, I'm not into the type of photography to which the camera is best suited. Having dabbled in Leica gear in the last two years, I have now sold it all and maintained my commitment to equipment that meets the needs as a nature photographer.
The Zf tech is probably equivalent to the A74 with less customization, but a cool "fashionable" look. It is well suited to both street photography and vlogging, with the ability to access some of Nikon's class-leading optics or Voigtlander MF lenses.
If you're a Sony user and want to live... or relive... the tactile feel of dials and switches, then it will be a novelty for you... but you might tire of its limited tech and ergonomics. If you're a street shooter who can't afford a M-10.... and can live with an EVF instead of rangefinder, buy a ZF and a high quality and fast Voightlander 35mm lens and enjoy one of the better EVF experiences with a manual focus lens.

Hopefully these are some measured thoughts from a Nikon (not-Sony) shooter.
bruce

Nov 24, 2023 at 06:19 AM

Previous versions of OwlsEyes's message #16401675 « Sony users - what do you think about Nikon Zf? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.