Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of raminolta's message #16397790 « Sony users - what do you think about Nikon Zf? »

raminolta
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Sony users - what do you think about Nikon Zf?

I had A9 for a while which I sold because I wasn't using it much. I initially liked the idea of the second top knob on the left side but soon realized using it is cumbersome and slow because I had to press and hold the lock button every time I wanted to turn the knob. I had to lower the camera off eye level and arrange my hands in a way to be able to do the operation often means find a platform to put the cameras on (I rarely use neck strap but almost always a hand strap). I have noted Sony offers the option to switch the locking buttons from momentary to toggle on/off i.e. they can be effectively disabled which is what I like. Is it possible to revert the locking buttons on Nikon zf to toggle on/off? Otherwise, it's a big no to me.

Generally speaking, I do like classic look in cameras and cars. My car has a retro look to it and I like the retro look of cameras such as Nikon zf. Functionally though, I am not sure those marked knobs for shutter speed and ISO do any good? After all, I seldom use the aperture ring on my Sony lenses that have it. I find it more convenient and faster to use the front dial on the camera body instead. I am certainly not in favor of having special knobs on the camera just for decoration. So those knobs in my opinion are redundant and useless.
I certainly like the color options available for Nikon zf. If Sony ever offers these color options in a future model, I would get one with an alternative color like those subdued blue or green that are available on the Zf.

Overall, if it were me, I would design a camera that is stylish somewhere between the retro look and modern design. A %100 retro design like zf probably only slows down the operation (some may not care about the slowness though; good for them).

For me however, the most important thing is to improve my photography. Having a pretty camera in hand does nothing for that so essentially, it cannot have any priority on my list. A the single feature pointed out by the OP which is useful for manual focusing (focus confirmation), while I appreciate the feature, I am not going to switch system just for that only feature. I have some manual lenses and the focus peaking does more or less the same job for me. On the other hand for those who care about AF, all reports and reviews indicate recent Sony bodies excel Nikon in AF regards (subject recognition and tracking).

Nov 19, 2023 at 12:31 PM
raminolta

I had A9 for a while which I sold because I wasn't using it much. I initially liked the idea of the second top knob on the left side but soon realized using it is cumbersome and slow because I had to press and hold the lock button every time I wanted to turn the knob. I had to lower the camera off eye level and arrange my hands in a way to be able to do the operation often means find a platform to put the cameras on (I rarely use neck strap but almost always a hand strap). I have noted Sony offers the option to switch the locking buttons from momentary to toggle on/off i.e. they can be effectively disabled which is what I like. Is it possible to revert the locking buttons on Nikon zf to toggle on/off? Otherwise, it's a big no to me.

Generally speaking, I do like classic look in cameras and cars. My car has a retro look to it and I like the retro look of cameras such as Nikon zf. Functionally though, I am not sure those marked knobs for shutter speed and ISO do any good? After all, I seldom use the aperture ring on my Sony lenses that have it. I find it more convenient and faster to use the front dial on the camera body instead. I am certainly not in favor of having special knobs on the camera just for decoration. So those knobs in my opinion are redundant and useless.
I certainly like the color options available for Nikon zf. If Sony ever offers these color options in a future model, I would get one with an alternative color like those subdued blue or green that are available on the Zf.

Overall, if it were me, I would design a camera that is stylish somewhere between the retro look and modern design. A %100 retro design like zf probably only slows down the operation (some may not care about the slowness though; good for them).

For me however, the most important thing is to improve my photography. Having a pretty camera in had does nothing for that so essentially, it cannot have any priority on my list. A the single feature pointed out by the OP which is useful for manual focusing (focus confirmation), while I appreciate the feature, I am not going to switch system just for that only feature. I have some manual lenses and the focus peaking does more or less the same job for me. On the other hand for those who care about AF, all reports and reviews indicate recent Sony bodies excel Nikon in AF regards (subject recognition and tracking).

Nov 19, 2023 at 12:30 PM
raminolta

I certainly like the color options available for Nikon zf. If Sony ever offers these color options in a future model, I would certainly get one with an alternative color like those subdued blue or green that are available on the Zf.

For me however, the most important thing is to improve my photography. Having a pretty camera in had does nothing for that so essentially, it cannot have any priority on my list. A the single feature pointed out by the OP which is useful for manual focusing (focus confirmation), while I appreciate the feature, I am not going to switch system just for that only feature. I have some manual lenses and the focus peaking does more or less the same job for me. On the other hand for those who care about AF, all reports and reviews indicate recent Sony bodies excel Nikon in AF regards (subject recognition and tracking).

Nov 19, 2023 at 12:29 PM
raminolta

Generally speaking, I do like classic look in cameras and cars. My car has a retro look to it and I like the retro look of cameras such as Nikon zf. Functionally though, I am not sure those marked knobs for shutter speed and ISO do any go? After all, I seldom use the aperture ring on my Sony lenses that have it. I find it more convenient and faster to use the front dial on the camera body instead. I am certainly not in favor of having special knobs on the camera just for decoration. So those knobs in my opinion are redundant and useless.
I certainly like the color options available for Nikon zf. If Sony ever offers these color options in a future model, I would certainly get one with an alternative color like those subdued blue or green that are available on the Zf.

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:24 AM

Previous versions of raminolta's message #16397790 « Sony users - what do you think about Nikon Zf? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.