Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RoamingScott's message #16385649 « Torn over my RZ67 Pro II »

RoamingScott
Upload & Sell: On
Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

I was VERY generously gifted an RZ67 Pro II, a 50/4.5 and the timeless 110/2.8 by an instagram follower years ago under the promise that I take it out and use it. Years later, I've run less than a dozen rolls through it. The max shutter speed of 1/400 makes working with it in anything but golden hour tough (if you don't want to juggle ND filters around). It sucks to travel with.

The idea of shooting 6x7 is super appealing, just not in this way. Being totally tripod bound with a top down viewfinder presents some real challenges in the field.

The way I see it, I have three options:

1) Divest this system to someone that would actually use it and perhaps pivot to something like a Mamiya 7/7ii. The main issue I have there is I've heard that those cameras are getting harder to work on/replace needed parts. Do I really want to sink that much money into a camera that I know will eventually kick the bucket? One of the parts that annoys me about the RZ67 Pro II is that for all of its lovely chunky mechanical nature, it MUST have a battery to be usable. One day the circuitry there will die and this gorgeous mechanical hunk of metal will simply die.

2) Invest in the prism finder so at least I can shoot from behind the camera instead of over it. This would increase the compositional usability TREMENDOUSLY, but I'd still have all my other gripes like size/weight/packing it/slow shutter speed/etc. this is still not a system I would invest in heavily, I would never seek out other lenses for this mount for example, so investing in a prism finder feels like wasted money to a degree.

3) sell it all and buy a really nice monitor for my editing station

Any 6x7 cameras and lenses out there you'd recommend I look at? My favorite 35mm focal length is 40mm, and I really want something I can just grab and go with.

Seeing this listing got my juices flowing.. .https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1830856/0?keyword=mamiya#16380771 I'd use the hell out of this with the 80mm handheld.

Nov 06, 2023 at 10:49 PM
RoamingScott
Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

I was VERY generously gifted an RZ67 Pro II, a 50/4.5 and the timeless 110/2.8 by an instagram follower years ago under the promise that I take it out and use it. Years later, I've run less than a dozen rolls through it. The max shutter speed of 1/400 makes working with it in anything but golden hour tough (if you don't want to juggle ND filters around). It sucks to travel with.

The idea of shooting 6x7 is super appealing, just not in this way. Being totally tripod bound with a top down viewfinder presents some real challenges in the field.

The way I see it, I have three options:

1) Divest this system to someone that would actually use it and perhaps pivot to something like a Mamiya 7/7ii. The main issue I have there is I've heard that those cameras are getting harder to work on/replace needed parts. Do I really want to sink that much money into a camera that I know will eventually kick the bucket? One of the parts that annoys me about the RZ67 Pro II is that for all of it's mechanical nature, it MUST have a battery to be usable. One day the circuitry there will die and this gorgeous mechanical hunk of metal will simply die.

2) Invest in the prism finder so at least I can shoot from behind the camera instead of over it. This would increase the compositional usability TREMENDOUSLY, but I'd still have all my other gripes like size/weight/packing it/slow shutter speed/etc. this is still not a system I would invest in heavily, I would never seek out other lenses for this mount for example, so investing in a prism finder feels like wasted money to a degree.

Any 6x7 cameras and lenses out there you'd recommend I look at? My favorite 35mm focal length is 40mm, and I really want something I can just grab and go with.

Seeing this listing got my juices flowing.. .https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1830856/0?keyword=mamiya#16380771 I'd use the hell out of this with the 80mm handheld.

Nov 06, 2023 at 10:48 PM
RoamingScott
Torn over my RZ67 Pro II

The way I see it, I have two options:

1) Divest this system to someone that would actually use it and perhaps pivot to something like a Mamiya 7/7ii. The main issue I have there is I've heard that those cameras are getting harder to work on/replace needed parts. Do I really want to sink that much money into a camera that I know will eventually kick the bucket? One of the parts that annoys me about the RZ67 Pro II is that for all of it's mechanical nature, it MUST have a battery to be usable. One day the circuitry there will die and this gorgeous mechanical hunk of metal will simply die.

Nov 06, 2023 at 08:33 PM

Previous versions of RoamingScott's message #16385649 « Torn over my RZ67 Pro II »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.