Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of eyal's message #16271210 « SSD vs NVMe and RAID4 vs JBOD config for LRc photo storage with M1 MacBook Pro? »

eyal
Upload & Sell: Off
SSD vs NVMe and RAID4 vs JBOD config for LRc photo storage with M1 MacBook Pro?

My current setup is an M1 Pro 14" MacBook Pro connected via single USB-C cable to a 5 port OWC Thunderbolt hub then to:
2 externals monitors (one USB-C, other DisplayPort to TB2 adapter)
RAID 5 array (4x8 TB drives for 24TB usable - drives purchased 5/2021)
2 TB External SSD (partitioned as 1TB Time Machine and 1 TB bonus storage)

The RAID holds 11 TB of data including my photos (6.5 TB)

Blackmagic Speed
2 TB external - 865 write/700 read
Thunderbay RAID5 - 430 write/500 read

Current dislikes of setup:
Annoying/noisy whenever HDDs spin up
Slow to search for photos in LRc (I use a single catalogue on the Mac internal drive) but do so infrequently

I had thought the OWC 4M2 with NVMe drives would be a no-brainer and could go with JBOD as I wouldn't need to boost speeds beyond the baseline NVMe but it only reaches full speeds at RAID0 and otherwise is severely hampered by being limited to 750 MB/s per drive as each is connected via PCIe 3.0 x 1 (found after some searching).

The alternative then is the Thunderbay 4 mini with 4 2.5" SSDs in RAID4 which Lloyd Chambers clocked at 1152 read and 931 write back in 2014 (?!?!?). Further big benefit of the Thunderbay mini is it is apparently far quieter. BUT I lose the bonus display port. Also 2.5" SSDs are half the cost of the NVMe at 4 to 8 TB sizes.

Also, despite the name, the Thunderbay 4 mini and 4M2 are both thunderbolt 3 devices.

So here are some questions/thoughts I would appreciate help with:

1. Would use of Thunderbolt 4 in either device make a difference with a modern M1/M2 Mac? Would this fix the slow speeds of the 4M2 in JBOD mode? I have to believe OWC will move to TB4 soon-ish.

2. Any way to know what max speed I can get in my current setup where everything flows through the OWC Thunderbolt Hub which is TB4?

I love my single cable connection which, when using the OWC dock app, allows me to disconnect with one-click. I don't want to give that up but also don't want to spend $1-2k on fast external storage if it will be bottlenecked by this setup. I guess I could run a single cable from the new external and have 2 cables to the MacBook and still benefit from the dock unmount option. Just a little less clean.

Thanks!

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:50 AM

Previous versions of eyal's message #16271210 « SSD vs NVMe and RAID4 vs JBOD config for LRc photo storage with M1 MacBook Pro? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.