Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of MatthewK's message #16253913 « Add/Replace/Pass on Z8 for Z9 »

MatthewK
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Add/Replace/Pass on Z8 for Z9

Just returned from a 3 day birding/camping trip, where I was running-and-gunning from sun-up to sun-down each day. Really got to "live" with the gear, which includes the Z9, 800PF, 400 4.5 and 100-400. By the end of the day, stuff started getting heavy, and while a ~1lb doesn't seem like much, every little bit would help. Battery life was great, giving me a full day and a little bit of the next before switching out, and even then I think I swapped w/ 2 bars left. Fantastic performance. I had an Anker PB along to charge overnight if I was going for ultimate longevity, but wanted to see how much battery I used before needing to do that.

So, that trip was a real test for my setup, a good way to assess needs vs. nice to haves, mainly b/w the two 400mm-capable lenses, but also to determine if a Z8 would be a workable fit in order to save weight, at the expense of battery life. Figure w/ the Z8 and the smaller batteries, I would have used 4-6 batteries in that same 3 day stretch. My normal birding outings are generally only a couple of hours though, so I don't foresee batteries being a problem for me if I were to switch.

Basically, it comes down to: give up great battery life in order to lose 1lb? It sounds silly when I type it out, but I think it's a bargain I'm willing to take, so will probably be parting w/ my Z9. The thought of losing the $ on such a new camera makes me though.

(One thing I HATE about the Z9 is the vertical grip on/off switch, its propensity for being accidentally/secretly switched on, and taking me hundreds of blank photos. I will be thrilled to be rid of it. Yes, I could gaffer tape it, but that's just stupid. )

May 25, 2023 at 02:36 PM

Previous versions of MatthewK's message #16253913 « Add/Replace/Pass on Z8 for Z9 »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.