Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #16226172 « Best Leica lens for Nikon Z7II »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Best Leica lens for Nikon Z7II

If the point of using Leica M lenses on the Nikon is for image quality (glass rules) ... one should consider why they would want to take a good lens, and push it's light projection through an improper sensor stack.

If the goal is merely to get smaller lenses (than AF counterparts) mounted on the body, then there are some Voigts and Zeiss options, as well as some older C/Y or R lenses that might work well enough. But, as to spending the $$$ for Leica M lenses, only to push them through a wrongly dimensioned sensor stack (and the problems it causes with smearing / color shift, etc.), seems a bit

If the goal is for a specific lens drawing style in the Leica arsenal (which it sounds like that's not the case, since you're asking for recommendations), then it might be that you accept peripheral issues caused by the angle of incidence, that is out of design specification.

As others have mentioned ... the wider you go, the worse it gets (angle of incidence / refraction). If you do want to use an M lens (iirc), you'll be best suited to use normal or tele focal lengths. That, and use their slower versions. Fast glass will have that large rear element / exit pupil and we are back to the angles of incidence being improperly aligned due to the steep angles of incidence.

Normal - Tele ... slow-ish ones. I think those are your safest bets, because they have the more tolerance in the light path than fast or wide M glass does.

+1 also ... check in with the Nikon folks to see what their experience has been. I know when the Sony folks were busy doing the same, there was plenty of info / reports going around. I've lost track of all that ... too easy, when you're using M glass on an M body. But, I will say, that seeing all the issues that the Sony folks went through along the way ... made me a believer in the proper light path through the (BTW, the microlenses are elliptical on the M) sensor stack.

https://gmpphoto.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-new-leica-max-24mp-cmos-sensor.html

As you take notice of the drawing, the quantity of the light rays hitting the sensor is illustrated, but there is also the alignment of the rays, with a "less divergent" or "more convergent" path, to bring a more acute projection. Plenty of folks will dismiss this as being of any significance. BUT, here's the thing ... the Leica engineering that goes into this level of consideration to the light path is part of why Leica costs what Leica costs (some folks lean on the "luxury" thing, I lean on this level of optical engineering).

It's kinda like dipping steak in ketchup, when you put the Leica M lens on a Sony, etc. with a wrongly designed light path.

NOTE: That is not to say anything bad / poor of other brands ... just that it is a mismatch in optical engineering design of the light path, to put the Leica M glass on anything other than the Leica M.

Kinda like buying $$$ filet mignon ... then dipping it in ketchup, or trying to fly a plane through mud. Just not what it was designed for, and the effects of it (smearing, color shift, etc.) are self-evident, that you are "de-optimizing" the excellent engineering design to a level of sub-par in the field / periphery where it is most challenging ... and thus the reason for the engineering design of the elliptical microlenses and thin sensor stack (with glass well suited to such thin application).

You don't buy a scalpel to cut carboard. As most folks know, carboard will dull a blade a fine edged instrument rather quickly.
Putting a finely (light path) engineered optical instrument of the Leica M lens on a different shape microlens and sensor stack of different thickness and different optical properties will dull the optical acuity of the projection.

For me, the "acuity' of the Leica M lenses, as it travels the projection of the light path to the film plane ... IS the reason for spending that extra $$$ for their optical engineering. Might as well put knobby tires on a Formula One race car.

Granted, my examples are a bit hyperbolic, but all that smearing and color shift aren't. They are real, and they are the real evidence that it is a mis-application, which in turn is diminishing your projected image from being the best it can be. So, why go down that path?

NOTE: I did go down that path, but with using the Leica M lens on APS-C, where the effects of the periphery impact were less evidenced. I quickly moved to FF Leica from there, with the M240 as my entry into Lecia M.

YMMV

HTH and Good Luck with your quest.

Apr 24, 2023 at 06:57 AM
RustyBug

If the point of using Leica M lenses on the Nikon is for image quality (glass rules) ... one should consider why they would want to take a good lens, and push it's light projection through an improper sensor stack.

If the goal is merely to get smaller lenses (than AF counterparts) mounted on the body, then there are some Voigts and Zeiss options, as well as some older C/Y or R lenses that might work well enough. But, as to spending the $$$ for Leica M lenses, only to push them through a wrongly dimensioned sensor stack (and the problems it causes with smearing / color shift, etc.), seems a bit

If the goal is for a specific lens drawing style in the Leica arsenal (which it sounds like that's not the case, since you're asking for recommendations), then it might be that you accept peripheral issues caused by the angle of incidence, that is out of design specification.

As others have mentioned ... the wider you go, the worse it gets (angle of incidence / refraction). If you do want to use an M lens (iirc), you'll be best suited to use normal or tele focal lengths. That, and use their slower versions. Fast glass will have that large rear element / exit pupil and we are back to the angles of incidence being improperly aligned due to the steep angles of incidence.

Normal - Tele ... slow-ish ones. I think those are your safest bets, because they have the more tolerance in the light path than fast or wide M glass does.

+1 also ... check in with the Nikon folks to see what their experience has been. I know when the Sony folks were busy doing the same, there was plenty of info / reports going around. I've lost track of all that ... too easy, when you're using M glass on an M body. But, I will say, that seeing all the issues that the Sony folks went through along the way ... made me a believer in the proper light path through the (BTW, the microlenses are elliptical on the M) sensor stack.

As you take notice of the drawing, the quantity of the light rays hitting the sensor is illustrated, but there is also the alignment of the rays, with a "less divergent" or "more convergent" path, to bring a more acute projection. Plenty of folks will dismiss this as being of any significance. BUT, here's the thing ... the Leica engineering that goes into this level of consideration to the light path is part of why Leica costs what Leica costs (some folks lean on the "luxury" thing, I lean on this level of optical engineering).

It's kinda like dipping steak in ketchup, when you put the Leica M lens on a Sony, etc. with a wrongly designed light path.

NOTE: That is not to say anything bad / poor of other brands ... just that it is a mismatch in optical engineering design of the light path, to put the Leica M glass on anything other than the Leica M.

Kinda like buying $$$ filet mignon ... then dipping it in ketchup. YMMV

HTH

Apr 24, 2023 at 06:40 AM
RustyBug

Kinda like buying $$$ filet mignon ... then dipping it in ketchup. YMMV

HTH

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:50 PM
RustyBug

NOTE: That is not to say anything bad / poor of other brands ... just that it is a mismatch in optical engineering design of the light path, to put the Leica M on anything other than the Leica M. YMMV

HTH

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:49 PM
RustyBug

Normal - Tele ... slow-ish ones. I think those are your safest bets, because they have the more tolerance in the light path that fast or wide M glass does.

NOTE: That is not to say anything bad / poor of other brands ... just that it is a mismatch in optical engineering design of the light path, to put the Leica M on anything other than the Leica M. YMMV

HTH

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:48 PM
RustyBug

Normal - Tele ... slow-ish ones. I think those are your safest bets, because they have the more tolerance in the light path that fast or wide M glass does.

NOTE: That is not to say anything bad / poor of other brands ... just that it is a mismatch in optical engineering design of the light path.

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:47 PM
RustyBug

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:43 PM
RustyBug

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:39 PM
RustyBug

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:38 PM
RustyBug

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:36 PM
RustyBug

As others have mentioned ... the wider you go, the worse it gets (angle of incidence / refraction).

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:28 PM
RustyBug

If the goal is merely to get smaller lenses (than AF counterparts) mounted on the body, then there are some Voigts and Zeiss options, as well as come older C/Y or R lenses that might work well enough. But, as to spending the $$$ for Leica M lenses, only to push them through a wrongly dimensioned sensor stack (and the problems it causes with smearing / color shift, etc.), seems a bit

As others have mentioned ... the wider you go, the worse it gets (angle of incidence / refraction).

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:27 PM
RustyBug

If the goal is merely to get smaller lenses (than AF counterparts) mounted on the body, then there are some Voigts and Zeiss options, as well as come older C/Y or R lenses that might work well enough. But, as to spending the $$$ for Leica M lenses, only to push them through a wrongly dimensioned sensor stack (and the problems it cause with smearing / color shift, etc.), seems a bit

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:21 PM
RustyBug

If the goal is merely to get smaller lenses (than AF counterparts) mounted on the body, then there are some Voigts and Zeiss options, as well as come older C/Y or R lenses that might work well enough. But, as to spending the $$$ for Leica M lenses, only to push them through a wrongly dimensioned sensor stack, seems a bit

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:18 PM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #16226172 « Best Leica lens for Nikon Z7II »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.