Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of naturephoto1's message #16044543 « Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens »

naturephoto1
Upload & Sell: Off
Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens

I am thinking about placing an order for the Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens in the middle of next month for usage with my Cambo Actus mini with the full tilt package that I use with my Sony cameras as a digital back.

I came across mention of the lens and a link on another forum where I was again contemplating the Pentax 35mm 645 lens to use with my Actus. Our very own Rob (rdeloe) had been working to modifiy one of the Samyang 24mm f3.5 tilt shift lens to work with his own cameras. He commented how it would be nice to find a clean version of the lens that didn't need to be modified to remove the tilt and shift portions of the lens and he posted to this link:

https://tinyurl.com/4fhn2evp

The lens is also available from Swebo through Amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084KJ9NYK/?coliid=I2YD6BQ1YHLAYL&colid=1FWHV6EZ0GE5U&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

In fact, I know of no other source for the lens besides listed above.

I am not sure if the listing on Aliexpress is in fact Swebo, and when I sent a query they did not respond that they were, but it is the same shop that I purchased the Swebo LS001 focusing rail and they had about 40 of these when I ordered the focusing rail and they have 20 of the lenses on hand now.

It is pretty evident that this lens and the Cambo Actar 24 is derived from the Samyang 24mm f3.5 tilt shift lens and all have the same optical design.

Below are photos of all 3 lenses:

The first is the Samyang lens:

The second the Swebo TC24mm f3.5 lens:

The third is the Cambo Actar 24:

Also, our own Brad (freaklikeme) also worked on his Samyang 24mm f3.5 tilt shift lens to remove the tilt and shift to work on his Cambo Acuts mini in the past as well.

We know about the issues with the Samyang lens itself, but my suspicion is that both Cambo and Swebo contracted with Samyang to make their own versions of the lens to work easily with their cameras.

In the case of the Cambo Actar 24, Cambo has elliminated any of the extras including foucs and T/S and now sells for $1820 and comes mounted to its own flat Cambo Actus lens plate. The Swebo version of the lens like the Actar has ellimated all of the tilt and shift portion of the lens, includes the focus capablilty and comes in an M39mm thread size and has a selling price of $990 or $999. As it is, I have a couple of spare Cambo Actus M39mm lens plates (which like other Actus lens plates is slightly recessed) on hand and I can free up another if I decide to purchase additional M39mm to Leica R adapters to use those lenses on my Cambo Modified Leica R lens plate.

In the case of the Cambo Actar 24 we have seen limited reports of the performance of the lens, but from those in the know and with good well centered copies, we know that the lens performs close to the performance of the Canon 24mm f3.5 TS II lens and we do not have the difficulties and expense of mounting the Canon on the Actus (or for that matter the Samyang TS lens).

In the case of the Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 version of the lens, I know of no one owning or using the lens. The only photos that I have seen using the lens are a small number of images posted on the Swebo Facebook page which has had no postings since April 3 of this year.

By the way the Samyang lens and the variations are known to perform their best between f5.6 (preferably f8) and f11 which is fine for my application.

Also and since as a surprise, B+W has changed their 82mm XS-PRO MRC NANO UV and other UV filters. They have changed their packaging and now changed the outer filter ring with knurls which I do not want for this application and do not want any potential interference with the lens lens cap. I have placed an order coming from China for one of the old versions of the filter and hope that it is the real thing or it will be returned to the seller on eBay.

Anyway with the anticipated purchase of the Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens it will join my other Rodenstock and SK Tech, large format, Leica R 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC lens, and Apo Enlarger lenses to be used with my Actus.

At this point due to the extremely bubous Cambo Actar 19mm and Actar 15mm lenses and expense I do not anticipate going wider than the 24mm lens to use with the camera. Any wider than that, then I plan to reply upon using my Leica M WATE and my SK Grimes modified CV 12mm f5.6 Heliar III VM lens modified to use 62mm filters. With the WATE and the CV 12mm lens I just will need to use the lens alone and/or rely on rotation for stitching and lack the ability to have rise/fall, tilt, etc.

I look forward to comments and suggestions.

Rich

Sep 14, 2022 at 06:40 PM

Previous versions of naturephoto1's message #16044543 « Swebo TC24 24mm f/3.5 Lens »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.